Lou Gherics Disease

Help Support CattleToday:

Horticattleman

Reaction score
My best friends mother in law passed away this morning from this. It was amazing how aggresive this disease was. Last Christmas she was the host and cook. Yesterday she was a vegetable and could barely speak and move. Painful watching her suffer like that. Anybody else see this disease?

My Mother died of Lou Gehrig's disease, or it's other name, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. It killed her, respiratory wise. They know what is going on, but their body starts to cease to work. It was named after Lou Gehrig (great baseball player) , he was known as the Iron Horse. I think that is so ironic, so strong, then so weak. Pure awful, my mother was strong too, until it started to affect her. She was gone in a short period of time, about 3 years, for her. Sorry, to hear about your friend's mother-in-law. That disease is also known as ALS.

Merry

Lost a neighbor couple years ago. He had a wife and a couple of kids. Young man in his thirties, sad.

I also, need to add. My mother, from the time that the disease started to manifest itself,.was 3 years. We took her, to quite a few hospitals, even Johns' Hopkins.

Merry

I have had two friends die of Motor Neuron disease, sounds a lot like the one you are discribing. A cruel illness. my prayers go out to you and your friend and his family.

My friend of 45 years passed away two months ago.
His three children and mine were like family.
His was a lifer in the navy and as all of his childrenare.
He retired a few years ago to a farm down the road.
Within 18 months he went from a viable to bed ridden, unable to speak. The disease is horrific.
ALS is @ present not curable. They initially gave him 3-5 years.
The mad/sad is how little the Veterans Administration did for him.
We had to write congressmen/senators/ & Governor.
With alot of fight we were able to get the Governor to step in with help--some too late.

We currently have a friend that had ALS. Started with a difficulity speaking, now her voice is gone but she is holding up well. Hate to see such a vibrant woman slowly detoriate.
DMc

My dearly departed ex died from it. There is nothing they can do for it.

Latest posts