• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Disease of farming

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
469
Reaction score
0
Location
SC KY
I heard someone on neighbors adjoining property yesterday running a tractor. The owners have rented it last few years. I am recovering from surgery so I'm not real mobile. I went back today to see if I could tell what they were doing. Appears to be notill drilled. I laugh at myself because I HAd to find out what the roaring tractor was doing.
 

Bestoutwest

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2012
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
0
Location
Idaho
kickinbull":2tl1myp7 said:
I heard someone on neighbors adjoining property yesterday running a tractor. The owners have rented it last few years. I am recovering from surgery so I'm not real mobile. I went back today to see if I could tell what they were doing. Appears to be notill drilled. I laugh at myself because I HAd to find out what the roaring tractor was doing.

I had foot surgery that took a southern turn so I know what it's like to be laid up. After appointments, if I felt ok, I would have her drive me around to go look at cows. I hope I'm not the only one that does that.
 

Nesikep

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Messages
16,031
Reaction score
142
Location
Lillooet, BC, Canada
20 years ago I broke my femur just above the knee.. I was out with the cows in a week on crutches, and got to the point I could really move on the things
 

boondocks

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2013
Messages
2,594
Reaction score
0
Location
Upstate NY
Walked 2 hours with snowshoes through a 38" blizzard last week to feed cows, since roads were closed.
With pneumonia at the time.
Yeah we ain't the brightest bunch am we? :lol:
 

Clodhopper

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 21, 2016
Messages
370
Reaction score
0
Location
Southeastern IL
My dad is scheduled for a fairly major surgery May 8. He asked me after surgery if it's ok for him to ride in a car, then why not a tractor?
 

dieselbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
5,819
Reaction score
0
Location
myakka city fl
Nesikep":2ztvwhh0 said:
20 years ago I broke my femur just above the knee.. I was out with the cows in a week on crutches, and got to the point I could really move on the things

after I broke mt femur and finally got able to walk I had to pull a calf on crutches...ill never fergit that
 

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
Messages
19,324
Reaction score
32
Location
Cleveland Tx
Aaron":242ev6dp said:
:D You're a fragile bunch.

I hate to say it, and really hope I'm wrong Aaron, but your day is probably coming, either thru breakage or just wearing out.
It hasn't been very many years ago, that I thought myself bulletproof and invisible, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound too..
 

Aaron

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2005
Messages
5,220
Reaction score
1
Location
Stratton, ON, Canada
greybeard":68vhm7zo said:
Aaron":68vhm7zo said:
:D You're a fragile bunch.

I hate to say it, and really hope I'm wrong Aaron, but your day is probably coming, either thru breakage or just wearing out.
It hasn't been very many years ago, that I thought myself bulletproof and invisible, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound too..

Haha. No GB I am pretty wore out. Always had aches and pains. Knees, hips and ankles all have a distinctive 'click' to them, even when I was a kid. Had my first bout of arthritis in my hands when I was 13. I might have been invincible at 15, certainly not at 32. But I have never put myself into a situation where I could break a bone. Never seen the pride that some do playing sports and then eventually hobbling around with a cast. That being said, I know a lot of people that have had bulls or cows step on their feet and they break a bone. I lost count how many times my feet have been stomped on, and never even a fracture. But Herefords don't lend themselves to breaking many bones. :D Certainly not true with other breeds that have been on this operation. Slow and steady always wins the race in my books.
 

Nesikep

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Messages
16,031
Reaction score
142
Location
Lillooet, BC, Canada
Aaron":10btrcga said:
greybeard":10btrcga said:
Aaron":10btrcga said:
:D You're a fragile bunch.

I hate to say it, and really hope I'm wrong Aaron, but your day is probably coming, either thru breakage or just wearing out.
It hasn't been very many years ago, that I thought myself bulletproof and invisible, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound too..

Haha. No GB I am pretty wore out. Always had aches and pains. Knees, hips and ankles all have a distinctive 'click' to them, even when I was a kid. Had my first bout of arthritis in my hands when I was 13. I might have been invincible at 15, certainly not at 32. But I have never put myself into a situation where I could break a bone. Never seen the pride that some do playing sports and then eventually hobbling around with a cast. That being said, I know a lot of people that have had bulls or cows step on their feet and they break a bone. I lost count how many times my feet have been stomped on, and never even a fracture. But Herefords don't lend themselves to breaking many bones. :D Certainly not true with other breeds that have been on this operation. Slow and steady always wins the race in my books.
I'm only 38, and yeah, everything is clicking and groaning.. broken 4 bones (femur, hand, and one in each foot) but only went to the hospital for one.. I've been stepped on countless times, but that never broke a bone. Yes, I do have some arthritis in my fingers that just occasionally acts up...
I'm told it just gets worse!
 

herofan

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2011
Messages
2,353
Reaction score
17
Location
Kentucky
I was clipping my fingernails one night and got one slightly in the quick. It felt kinda sensative and I was laid up and not able to work for 6 weeks, so I know what it's like to be out of commission. Some thought I could have went back sooner, but I didn't want to take any chances.
 

Caustic Burno

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
25,835
Reaction score
111
Location
Big Thicket East Texas
No it is a pandemic.
For those older and wiser why does the corner that is hardest to get to always rot out. Sorry post were only 30 years old. A corner that would have taken me three hours ten years ago took all day.
 

boondocks

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2013
Messages
2,594
Reaction score
0
Location
Upstate NY
herofan":5qic1ot8 said:
I was clipping my fingernails one night and got one slightly in the quick. It felt kinda sensative and I was laid up and not able to work for 6 weeks, so I know what it's like to be out of commission. Some thought I could have went back sooner, but I didn't want to take any chances.

Best to be safe! Those things can get tricky!
 

Ryder

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2004
Messages
5,813
Reaction score
0
Location
Southeast Louisiana (Rep. of W. Fla.)
Was putting a pair of dumb bells back in the rack a couple of nights ago and mashed a finger on each hand. It did not feel real good and I thought they would be sore and bruised the next day.
Had some Aspercreme which the pharmacist said was the same as very expensive lidocaine.
Decided to try it and in a few minutes the pain was mostly gone. The next day there was just a little soreness and no bruise.
If you need it, try it.
 

melking

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 5, 2010
Messages
2,032
Reaction score
0
Location
Muse Florida...just for ryder
Ryder":iwm8y80b said:
Was putting a pair of dumb bells back in the rack a couple of nights ago and mashed a finger on each hand. It did not feel real good and I thought they would be sore and bruised the next day.
Had some Aspercreme which the pharmacist said was the same as very expensive lidocaine.
Decided to try it and in a few minutes the pain was mostly gone. The next day there was just a little soreness and no bruise.
If you need it, try it.


Glad to hear that Ryder. I have a pinched nerve in my left ankle and can hardly walk. I am going to get some Aspercreme.
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,265
Reaction score
30
Location
Central Texas
Caustic Burno":1erl6je3 said:
No it is a pandemic.
For those older and wiser why does the corner that is hardest to get to always rot out. Sorry post were only 30 years old. A corner that would have taken me three hours ten years ago took all day.
When I was younger and burning the candle at both ends, I often wondered why it took Dad so long to get things done......I know the answer to that now. :lol2: :nod:
Nowadays, I spend a lot of time looking for where I laid the tool I just got through using......
 

OldCrow

Well-known member
Joined
May 16, 2012
Messages
137
Reaction score
0
Location
West, TN
kickinbull":1e12s5ik said:
I heard someone on neighbors adjoining property yesterday running a tractor. The owners have rented it last few years. I am recovering from surgery so I'm not real mobile. I went back today to see if I could tell what they were doing. Appears to be notill drilled. I laugh at myself because I HAd to find out what the roaring tractor was doing.

It is. I drive a certain way when traveling to see certain farms and what they have been up to. I don't try to keep up with them but just like to see old equipment that is in use and maintenance being kept up on everything. New stuff doesn't impress me but if it's old my tongue hangs out. My wife makes fun of me for it but I say it's my facebook and she hushes up pretty quick. ;-)
 

Caustic Burno

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
25,835
Reaction score
111
Location
Big Thicket East Texas
1982vett":ug3ar2yo said:
Caustic Burno":ug3ar2yo said:
No it is a pandemic.
For those older and wiser why does the corner that is hardest to get to always rot out. Sorry post were only 30 years old. A corner that would have taken me three hours ten years ago took all day.
When I was younger and burning the candle at both ends, I often wondered why it took Dad so long to get things done......I know the answer to that now. :lol2: :nod:
Nowadays, I spend a lot of time looking for where I laid the tool I just got through using......

I do a lot of that myself. Was doing some welding and cutting a while back and had set my striker down. Now I hadn't been out of the shop, after about an hour I still hadn't found it so I drove to town purchased two more and wired one to the bottle rack.
Now time to get back to work picked up my welding gloves lo and behold a striker.
 

shaz

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
1,764
Reaction score
13
Location
Middle Tn
greybeard":17ea3qhj said:
Aaron":17ea3qhj said:
:D You're a fragile bunch.

I hate to say it, and really hope I'm wrong Aaron, but your day is probably coming, either thru breakage or just wearing out.
It hasn't been very many years ago, that I thought myself bulletproof and invisible, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound too..

You still can. :drink: :drink: :drink:
 

sim.-ang.king

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
5,416
Reaction score
44
Location
Southern IL
My favorite way to drive my neighbors crazy is to hook up the planter and drive down the highway in March. :lol:
 

Latest posts

Top