Disease of farming

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
I heard someone on neighbors adjoining property yesterday running a tractor. The owners have rented it last few years. I am recovering from surgery so I'm not real mobile. I went back today to see if I could tell what they were doing. Appears to be notill drilled. I laugh at myself because I HAd to find out what the roaring tractor was doing.

kickinbull":2tl1myp7 said:
I heard someone on neighbors adjoining property yesterday running a tractor. The owners have rented it last few years. I am recovering from surgery so I'm not real mobile. I went back today to see if I could tell what they were doing. Appears to be notill drilled. I laugh at myself because I HAd to find out what the roaring tractor was doing.

I had foot surgery that took a southern turn so I know what it's like to be laid up. After appointments, if I felt ok, I would have her drive me around to go look at cows. I hope I'm not the only one that does that.

20 years ago I broke my femur just above the knee.. I was out with the cows in a week on crutches, and got to the point I could really move on the things

Walked 2 hours with snowshoes through a 38" blizzard last week to feed cows, since roads were closed.
With pneumonia at the time.
Yeah we ain't the brightest bunch am we? :lol:

My dad is scheduled for a fairly major surgery May 8. He asked me after surgery if it's ok for him to ride in a car, then why not a tractor?

Nesikep":2ztvwhh0 said:
20 years ago I broke my femur just above the knee.. I was out with the cows in a week on crutches, and got to the point I could really move on the things

after I broke mt femur and finally got able to walk I had to pull a calf on crutches...ill never fergit that

Aaron":242ev6dp said:
:D You're a fragile bunch.

I hate to say it, and really hope I'm wrong Aaron, but your day is probably coming, either thru breakage or just wearing out.
It hasn't been very many years ago, that I thought myself bulletproof and invisible, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound too..

greybeard":68vhm7zo said:
Aaron":68vhm7zo said:

I hate to say it, and really hope I'm wrong Aaron, but your day is probably coming, either thru breakage or just wearing out.
It hasn't been very many years ago, that I thought myself bulletproof and invisible, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound too..

Haha. No GB I am pretty wore out. Always had aches and pains. Knees, hips and ankles all have a distinctive 'click' to them, even when I was a kid. Had my first bout of arthritis in my hands when I was 13. I might have been invincible at 15, certainly not at 32. But I have never put myself into a situation where I could break a bone. Never seen the pride that some do playing sports and then eventually hobbling around with a cast. That being said, I know a lot of people that have had bulls or cows step on their feet and they break a bone. I lost count how many times my feet have been stomped on, and never even a fracture. But Herefords don't lend themselves to breaking many bones. :D Certainly not true with other breeds that have been on this operation. Slow and steady always wins the race in my books.

Aaron":10btrcga said:
greybeard":10btrcga said:
Aaron":10btrcga said:

Haha. No GB I am pretty wore out. Always had aches and pains. Knees, hips and ankles all have a distinctive 'click' to them, even when I was a kid. Had my first bout of arthritis in my hands when I was 13. I might have been invincible at 15, certainly not at 32. But I have never put myself into a situation where I could break a bone. Never seen the pride that some do playing sports and then eventually hobbling around with a cast. That being said, I know a lot of people that have had bulls or cows step on their feet and they break a bone. I lost count how many times my feet have been stomped on, and never even a fracture. But Herefords don't lend themselves to breaking many bones. :D Certainly not true with other breeds that have been on this operation. Slow and steady always wins the race in my books.
I'm only 38, and yeah, everything is clicking and groaning.. broken 4 bones (femur, hand, and one in each foot) but only went to the hospital for one.. I've been stepped on countless times, but that never broke a bone. Yes, I do have some arthritis in my fingers that just occasionally acts up...
I'm told it just gets worse!

I was clipping my fingernails one night and got one slightly in the quick. It felt kinda sensative and I was laid up and not able to work for 6 weeks, so I know what it's like to be out of commission. Some thought I could have went back sooner, but I didn't want to take any chances.

No it is a pandemic.
For those older and wiser why does the corner that is hardest to get to always rot out. Sorry post were only 30 years old. A corner that would have taken me three hours ten years ago took all day.

herofan":5qic1ot8 said:
I was clipping my fingernails one night and got one slightly in the quick. It felt kinda sensative and I was laid up and not able to work for 6 weeks, so I know what it's like to be out of commission. Some thought I could have went back sooner, but I didn't want to take any chances.

Best to be safe! Those things can get tricky!

Was putting a pair of dumb bells back in the rack a couple of nights ago and mashed a finger on each hand. It did not feel real good and I thought they would be sore and bruised the next day.
Had some Aspercreme which the pharmacist said was the same as very expensive lidocaine.
Decided to try it and in a few minutes the pain was mostly gone. The next day there was just a little soreness and no bruise.
If you need it, try it.

Ryder":iwm8y80b said:
Was putting a pair of dumb bells back in the rack a couple of nights ago and mashed a finger on each hand. It did not feel real good and I thought they would be sore and bruised the next day.
Had some Aspercreme which the pharmacist said was the same as very expensive lidocaine.
Decided to try it and in a few minutes the pain was mostly gone. The next day there was just a little soreness and no bruise.
If you need it, try it.

Glad to hear that Ryder. I have a pinched nerve in my left ankle and can hardly walk. I am going to get some Aspercreme.

Caustic Burno":1erl6je3 said:
No it is a pandemic.
For those older and wiser why does the corner that is hardest to get to always rot out. Sorry post were only 30 years old. A corner that would have taken me three hours ten years ago took all day.
When I was younger and burning the candle at both ends, I often wondered why it took Dad so long to get things done......I know the answer to that now. :lol2: :nod:
Nowadays, I spend a lot of time looking for where I laid the tool I just got through using......

kickinbull":1e12s5ik said:

It is. I drive a certain way when traveling to see certain farms and what they have been up to. I don't try to keep up with them but just like to see old equipment that is in use and maintenance being kept up on everything. New stuff doesn't impress me but if it's old my tongue hangs out. My wife makes fun of me for it but I say it's my facebook and she hushes up pretty quick. ;-)

1982vett":ug3ar2yo said:
Caustic Burno":ug3ar2yo said:
No it is a pandemic.
When I was younger and burning the candle at both ends, I often wondered why it took Dad so long to get things done......I know the answer to that now. :lol2: :nod:
Nowadays, I spend a lot of time looking for where I laid the tool I just got through using......

I do a lot of that myself. Was doing some welding and cutting a while back and had set my striker down. Now I hadn't been out of the shop, after about an hour I still hadn't found it so I drove to town purchased two more and wired one to the bottle rack.
Now time to get back to work picked up my welding gloves lo and behold a striker.

greybeard":17ea3qhj said:
Aaron":17ea3qhj said:

You still can. :drink: :drink: :drink:

Latest posts