Lottery/Farming

Help Support CattleToday:

You ever read the stories of past lottery winners. Many end up filing bankruptcy. Gotta wonder how someone could piddle away that much.

Bigfoot":3ufilfq4 said:
You ever read the stories of past lottery winners. Many end up filing bankruptcy. Gotta wonder how someone could piddle away that much.

I've always wonder how they squander that much money. I'd sure like the chance to try and manage millions; I think I could survive just fine. :nod:

Its really easy Bigfoot to loose that much money. If you win they take half and so on and so forth then if you are a fool with your money it will go quick. In todays world and prices of stuff you could essentially go broke probably in a day.

I'd say they mostly by consumer goods. The homes they buy, they probably grossly underestimate the upkeep on a 10,000 square foot house. I remember the guy from Ky that won so much was collecting swords. Probably hard to liquidates swords when it all goes down hill.

J&D Cattle":2bwcvskc said:
Bigfoot":2bwcvskc said:

I've always wonder how they squander that much money. I'd sure like the chance to try and manage millions; I think I could survive just fine. :nod:

My best friend in High school and hunting and fishing partner for years won $13.75 mil about 23 years ago. He is pretty much dead broke now. Living on SS and a small retirement ($200-300 a month) he made years ago. Multiple marriages, the IRS, and the bottle broke him. If you win that kind of money you need a plan that includes you working to some degree. A person needs a reason to get up in the morning. My friend thought it would be great. He could go hunting and fishing all the time. After a while it got old to going fishing by himself on Wednesday when all his friends were working. So he went to the bar. They were happy to see him. They laughed at his jokes and listened to his stories. He bought drinks. Pretty soon he didn't go fishing, he just went straight to the bar.

I don't play because I figure God loves me too much to let me win. He knows how sorry and lazy I'd be if I didn't have to work for a living.

I've never played the big lottery. My mother in law gives me 10 scratch off tickets for Christmas. Out of 10 I won $1 last year.

Bigfoot":rnmhgbxy said:
I've never played the big lottery. My mother in law gives me 10 scratch off tickets for Christmas. Out of 10 I won $1 last year.
I worked for a guy for a VERY short time, that gave out scratch off tickets as a Christmas bonus.

I said "Oh wow--a "one in 200,000 chance of getting a Christmas bonus---how generous!"

I didn't last till New Years Eve.

We discussed this when my husband joined a weekly pool and both of us agreed that we would go around the neighborhood and pay off all the farmers debts(even the ones we don't like).

We have some really big spenders here-- there are 10 of them and they go in together to buy one ticket :) they have been doing it for years and have a lot of fun with it. They each only know their number, so they have to get together to see if its a winner.

skyhightree1":18anxlnc said:
What would some of you do with the $$$$ are any of you gonna play? If you all win feel free to give me some of your winnings I can give you my acct # and routing # :D

https://valottery.com/

I would have a lot of friends who also became overnight millionaires - I can name a dozen folks right now that are hard up and have helped this place - I would certainly take care of them and family.

I think that all the neighbours on this road would all be driving new tractors as well - as I have used every one of them from one end of the road to the other and never paid a penny to do so.

I broke the neighbours combine last night at around midnight while combining corn for him - he needs a new one - and I would be happy to spec one out and buy it for him.

There are a couple of local charities that are run by good folks and they run on earned money - not tax dollars - they would get a big hand up as well.

Then I would buy land!

Enough that when I want to go outside and pizz on the lawn you would need a Hubble Telescope to even see me standing on the lawn

Bez

That guy in W.Va. who won +400 million. He spiraled down to the point police found him passed out in a Lincoln Town Car full of strippers. That's me. Oh, and Lord, I'd give the first 10% to the church. If you could do me a favor. No big deal for the almighty, right.

If I won the lottery I would have someone high fence our property. And go into deer farming instead of cattle farming. Which I plan on doing myself within 5-10 years. Then my wife and I would drive to Alaska this spring, the heck with waiting and saving for 2-3 years. And I guess we wouldn't mind if our daughter went out of state for Med school. But if she really has to and makes the grades, we'll figure out how to pay for it. Life's pretty good for us now, and I am happy. So I don't think I will play the lottery and take a chance of screwing it up. But the best of luck to all of you that play.

It's a running joke with me and a friend that if one of us wins the lottery we will both farm until we run out of money, then go back to our old jobs.

Latest posts