lost horns

Help Support CattleToday:

cgraves

Reaction score
I had a cow that lost both outer horns the day before she had a calf. She lost probably 4" on each side, but didn't seem to bother her. Just recently she tore a huge chunk out of one side and bleed all over the place. I got her in the head catch and sprayed her horns good with some medicine I got from the co-op. I've talked to a lot of people about it and no one has ever heard of the horns just falling off. Any one out there got any ideas?

Thanks.

cdg"??"

I got one that shed the outer layer of her horn no problem. has she been dehorned before and they grew back? i wonder could she be lacking minerals

I have trace minerial block and sweet licks, I also feed just about every day. I've got other cows with horns that are not having any noticeable problems. I've had this cow for years and she has never been dehorned, but none will have horns after it gets cooler.

cgraves":2a77x4da said:
but none will have horns after it gets cooler.

Since I subscribe to the theory you're never to old to learn, can you help me with that last statement. Are you saying horns don't grow in cold weather? I've never heard of that.

Thanks
Cuz

CUZ":pcs2ledw said:
cgraves":pcs2ledw said:

Since I subscribe to the theory you're never to old to learn, can you help me with that last statement. Are you saying horns don't grow in cold weather? I've never heard of that.

Thanks
Cuz
what hes refering too is after cold wheather sits in and the flys are gone its time to dehorn.

CUZ":2n6k2rqv said:
cgraves":2n6k2rqv said:

Thanks
Cuz

I'm gonna take that to mean, he plans to dehorn when the weather cools off.

cgraves":6m2itcu9 said:
I have trace minerial block and sweet licks, I also feed just about every day. I've got other cows with horns that are not having any noticeable problems. I've had this cow for years and she has never been dehorned, but none will have horns after it gets cooler.
just thinking when you said it happened right at calving time. but i would NOT worry about it if she is healthy otherwise. buy the way those trace blocks dont provide enough minerals for moma cows

We have one that had one of her outer part of the horn knocked off 5 or 6 years ago because she and another were fighting.

I don't notice her scratching more than any of the other ones. I keep my backrub juiced up so I don't have a large fly problem. I found one of her outer horns and it looks like it just slid off. I know she is not the dominate one in the field anymore since her horns are now shorter. I can understand if it was just one side, but I can't imagine them fighting long enough to tear off both sides. Anyway, I'll dehorn everything when it gets cooler. And check with my co-op to see if I can get something that has everything they need.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your comments. I have made this one of my favorites, so I will talk to you soon.

cdg"??"

Latest posts