Scurs or Horns...on 4 month old

Help Support CattleToday:

greggy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have some young calves, some will have horns, one is a steer, so he will go anyway, another is not looking like I will use for breeding, so will go as well....but a Hereford heifer is showing signs of horn or scurs, and I am not familiar with this at all...

Hers have been there from 2 months, I have prob had her 2 or 3 months, they have not changed at all, she would be 200/250lb now, the steers I can see the change after a month, and his are firm on the skull, def horned :)

Hers, well, you can touch them, and you can move them around under the skin. So does that mean nothing, or does it indicate they may not be horns, they do not stick out past the coat, I would have thought if horns they would be past the coat and growing obviously by now...

Sounds like you have scur and not horns

It is the movement thing that I am trying too work out.

Has anyone had horn growth that moves ?

Or checked scurs and they moved ?

I do not want horns, nor chopping them off, not sure if scurs are a penalty here, but this one was a potential breeder, if always using a polled male, and she just has scurs, that should work....if it is horns...I think that is a no go......nice animal too.

Horns will move for a LONG time, I'm certain those are horns.. 4 months, I'd figure they're what.. 3/4 inch long or so?

If the bull and the cow are both heterozygous polled, you'll still get horns on about 1/4 of the offspring.. If either are homo-polled you will never get horns
I've had this combination a couple times.. same cow made a horned heifer twice in a row.. Best heifer of the herd, I'm keeping her regardless.. I didn't catch them early enough to use paste on.. the first heifer broke both of the tips off somehow, second one looks prettier

Nah, prob about half inch, have not changed, are not obviously visible like the others, but then again one has a red coat.....hers is white and hair is longer.

What will happen if I keep moving them so they do not fuse to the skull ? .... wishful thinking probably :)

If horns, they will have to fuse at some point ?

She is a friendly calf, but I have a Jersey with horns, her are quite sharp at the points, and they know how to use them, I can tell the steer will use them, it is the other animals I am concerned about of course, I guess if I have too, I can cut, or at least take any sharp points off.

I am getting the gist of the breeding, the bull would have to carry the 2 polled genes, then she would throw polled if it is horns, I am not sure if it is scurs what will happen, but I am not worried about scurs.

So always choose a bull that carrys the correct or pure polled genes, right ? If doing AI, would seem elementary to do it this way either way if you want polled animals.

Those look like horns. Why not take her to the vet and have her dehorned? It would cost under $20 and then you wouldn't have horns. If you dont want horns get a homozygous polled bull and all calves will be polled.

I assume it is better to do before they fuse to her skull & yes, wont use a bull with a horned gene

Watch.... make sure the burnt ring around the horn is the nice colour of leather or they will come back. You are essentially killing the blood supply to the horn. Not nice or fun but far easier on the animal than if done later.

https://youtu.be/ov3Cru9v9RQ

Need pain relief I think...and a head bale....

I have soldering irons, no de budder, and the bud is too big I think....so will talk to a vet and few cattle people.