Horns???

Help Support CattleToday:

2old

Reaction score
I have a 6 month old angus holstein cross that had no bumps 3 months ago and now he has (2) half inch nubs! Is this possible? Can I expect them to continue growing or will they stay short? Sorry if my questions sound ignorant but clearly I am!

Are they horns or scurs? If they are loose when you try to move them around, they are scurs. Scurs usually won't amount to much and aren't a problem. If they are horns, I would expect them to keep growing out similar to a Holstein's. They probably wouldn't get real long, but could still gouge you or another animal pretty good.

½" nubs, I wouldn't worry too much. They obviously aren't growing to fast. Still small enough to use dehorning irons on if you wanted them gone.

Are they horns or scurs? If they are loose when you try to move them around, they are scurs. Scurs usually won't amount to much and aren't a problem. If they are horns, I would expect them to keep growing out similar to a Holstein's. They probably wouldn't get real long, but could still gouge you or another animal pretty good.
Steer or heifer? If a heifer, what are your plans for it?

Steer. They are not scurs and we will sell at market. I can't believe how short they are. I would not have known if I hadn't scratched his head...now I can see the nubs if I look close.