How much of this cow's horns can be trimmed bewi

Help Support CattleToday:

If you really love her, you should sell her. Old age is an unpleasant way for a critter to end life. Consider what's going with horses since politics ended horse slaughter.
When I was in my 20's I was faced with violent death. Now, I am 65. I'll go with old age. Will consider euthanasia when her quality of life suffers. Nothing dignified being led down a line to have your throat slit and your head thrown in a barrel.

When I was in my 20's I was faced with violent death. Now, I am 65. I'll go with old age. Will consider euthanasia when her quality of life suffers. Nothing dignified being led down a line to have your throat slit and your head thrown in a barrel.
It's what cattle are for. I'm 65, as well. Do you really want to shoot this old cow? I once put down a treasured family riding horse. Would much rather have seen her fed to to the French. Slaughter is by far the most humane end for any animal.

To weigh in, I put down my first beef cow when she got to where she was hurting...she was old but she had a nearly 6 month calf on her. I buried her. She had as good a life as I could give her and then did what had to be done. We certainly don't give them all that option, but you letting her live out her life is fair... and you will know when it is no longer a quality life for her. Hope that you can find something for the horns, and I would try the bell for your safety. She may become much more of a "pet" when she finds out that you are a good guy and all too....

Okay time to chime in. If you plan on making her a pasture pet I wouldn't do anything. You knew when you got her that she had hooks. I've never seen a cow with horns that didn't know what they were for.
If she was mine I'd either leave them or saw them off at her head. Nothing inbetween.
As for selling her. Her head is worth more than the rest of the cow.

I've got horses, and I'm pro horse slaughter. I've got one old cow that has earned the right to die on the place, as long as she keeps paying her way.

Okay time to chime in. If you plan on making her a pasture pet I wouldn't do anything. You knew when you got her that she had hooks. I've never seen a cow with horns that didn't know what they were for.
If she was mine I'd either leave them or saw them off at her head. Nothing inbetween.

I've got horses, and I'm pro horse slaughter. I've got one old cow that has earned the right to die on the place, as long as she keeps paying her way.
Thanks. I decided to leave her be. I can afford to keep her without her paying anymore. Her mortgage is paid off.

I've got horses, and I'm pro horse slaughter. I've got one old cow that has earned the right to die on the place, as long as she keeps paying her way

The monetary piece is not a consideration here.

I'm glad you're taking care of her @LPuma

Some folks have a hard time grasping the concept of "sometimes the money isn't what's important"
Everyone has things they want to do. Yours is a good one in my opinion.
I like seeing a mama raise a calf. Pure joy for me. Doesn't mean it's what you want tho. Shes your animal. Hope she brings you joy!

I hope u return with some pictures once you've got her fed a while. I'll bet she's gonna be pretty as can be!

I tried putting a small band on the horn to get rid of it--- but it kept sliding UP. A neighbor lady who had raised cattle all her life with her husband looked at me and said --- YOU know how to fix that don't you? I said no -- and she rolled her eyes. She informed me that you take a round chain saw file and put a groove around the horn where you want the horn to end. Then you take a very small O-Ring and slide it over the horn down to the groove. I did this and its the same as if you put a very TIGHT band around your finger. Eventually it will fall off due to the restriction of blood flow...same thing happens to the horn. And it just FALLS off. No problems!

Trimming tip of older Hereford's horns. How much can be trimmed without hitting corium?
If you want to abuse her cauterize after you hacksaw. 2 inches from base age dependant"

If you give 2 shits give meloxicam 1.25 hours before.

Your asking because you want to keep her!!
Let her use her horns she's small needs feed.
1200 pound against 1800 isn't competition without.

SELL her to someone that actually cares about her.

I would very happily have her in my herd for 1350 if you were within 3-400 miles without vet check

Keeping old animals in retirement at pasture or on feed is a personal decision. It depends on your financial circumstances whether you can afford to do so. I usually sell my older animals before they become so old as to be unthrifty and non-productive. Let some one else have sme productive years out of them. However if you are genuinely attached to the animal there is nothing wrong with keeping her at pasture and retired. It is a personal decision - we all have to make our own - it's not for anyone else to deride anyone for.

Latest posts