Lost Another Calf to Chronic Pneumonia

Help Support CattleToday:

BlackBaldyMan

Reaction score
Sadly this morning lost another calf that weighed in at 800lbs. I started to doctor him with tetracyclings about a month ago, but after looking at the lung adhesion to the rib cage it looks like its been going on for a while.

What is killing me is I dont know if this is my fault. There are so many things, it could have had damaged lungs from being a calf, we might not have doctored it soon enough, hard to tell. Just wondering if anyone else is dealing with this, of course it just had to be a custom calf now I have to deal with the producer, :help: :(

Tetracyclines are no longer reliable . Just asking for more problems with that as your first line of defense.

If it makes you feel any better we hit a bad spell - had two days of solid rain-- 30mph winds and 36 degrees hit a load I just put in.

They holed up in the bottom refused to move or eat. We lost 6 head- w/ three realizers--- the most we've ever lost. That was a real hard phone call .

no matter what you do you're gonna loose a few along-thats life.

I'm with Karen...the "cyclines" aren't gonna touch it. Ya' gotta hit them with the high dollar stuff first and work down...sad, but true...I'm sorry this happened to you.

Alice

I'd really be concerned about that! I don't want to loose any that are 800 lbs..lost one this year in the heat (with injury), thought maybe it was our fault. Only you know.

dont beat your self up ...i've heard and i'll say it again "cant loose them if you don't have them" , it happens. Even though we wish it we cannot turn back the hands of time. Donna

I know the tetras dont work, almost imediatly afterwards I followed up with a shot of Draxxin/Banamine then yesturday hit him with NuFlor/Banamine, to late by then I guess.

I know loose a few but its still tough, weather here has sucked, one day it was zero degrees then 4 days later its up in the high 30's and wet.

BlackBaldyMan":35ihtpl9 said:
Sadly this morning lost another calf that weighed in at 800lbs. I started to doctor him with tetracyclings about a month ago, but after looking at the lung adhesion to the rib cage it looks like its been going on for a while.

What is killing me is I dont know if this is my fault. There are so many things, it could have had damaged lungs from being a calf, we might not have doctored it soon enough, hard to tell. Just wondering if anyone else is dealing with this, of course it just had to be a custom calf now I have to deal with the producer, :help: :(

I went out Sunday morn found my best calf dead. About 700 lbs. Checked with the vet on monday, he said they have been seeing alot of ------ Pneumonia. I never had a clue the calf was even sick. looked fine the day before. Vet said about 2 days is all it took.

Yep, those pneumonia strains can act real quick. I hate for anyone to lose a calf or cow due to any virus or disease. Unfortunately, its part of the business. I am sure most everyone here on this board has lost a few along the way, if they have been in the business long.

Funny part is , a girl had just picked her out to show. Why does it always seem to be the best one?
It never bothered me to pick out one for the table, but finding one dead just pi--t me off to no end.
I always wonder what was it I did not see coming?
And sure doesn,t help the pocket book.

Yea they go fast, the vet said their is a 1-2 day window when you can nail the pneumonia, after that not much can do and if they dont show any signs those days then I dont know.

BlackBaldyMan":35el9vu1 said:
Yea they go fast, the vet said their is a 1-2 day window when you can nail the pneumonia, after that not much can do and if they dont show any signs those days then I dont know.

Sometimes you can think you cured it, and you haven't where their immune system is decreased they get it again, again and again, and never really get over it completely.

Gail

BlackBaldyMan":3oupqljy said:

Tetracycline is not heavy-hitting enough to treat pneumonia, because there are too many bugs that are resistant to it. You need something like Baytril, Micotil, or Nuflor to treat pneumonia. If your herd has always been a closed herd, you could possibly get away with using a long-acting Penicillin - but I would watch the calves very closely if I went that route, because there are a lot of bugs that are resistant to Penicillin, as well.

msscamp":sw752oga said:
BlackBaldyMan":sw752oga said:

Tetracycline is not heavy-hitting enough to treat pneumonia, because there are too many bugs that are resistant to it. You need something like Baytril, Micotil, or Nuflor to treat pneumonia. If your herd has always been a closed herd, you could possibly get away with using a long-acting Penicillin - but I would watch the calves very closely if I went that route, because there are a lot of bugs that are resistant to Penicillin, as well.

I agree, we use NuFlor and Draxxin

Latest posts