Lopsided bag

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Bought a small cow (700lbs) in the fall that calved yesterday. She had been bagging up fine for about 3 weeks. Calf looks fine too right now but mom is pulled down hard. I'd say a BCS of 3-4. Calf is probably 65lbs. The other cows with 4 month old calves on them are at least 4-5 BCS. Anyway, the new mom's bag on the left side (both teats) is now probably about 1/4 the size of the right side. The right side still looks full. Calf did not have a milk face so I don't think I caught them right after feeding. Not sure if I should be concerned or not.

Not unusaual for a calf to only suck one side and in some cases one teat forthe first couple of days to a week. Depnds on the quantity/quality ofthe milk and the appetite of the calf.

dun

dun":3adv110n said:
Not unusaual for a calf to only suck one side and in some cases one teat forthe first couple of days to a week. Depnds on the quantity/quality ofthe milk and the appetite of the calf.

dun

That is very much the truth. What did her udder look like right before she calved? If it was even then, don't worry about it unless she looks sick.

Latest posts