Loose Minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

I forgot to mention part of the ingredents in different formulations. Most companies have Animal Fat in there. This isn't the same as having animal by-products that are illegal by the FDA, however I use a mineral that has no animal anything in it.

cattle_gal":3ufjfd95 said:
I forgot to mention part of the ingredents in different formulations. Most companies have Animal Fat in there. This isn't the same as having animal by-products that are illegal by the FDA, however I use a mineral that has no animal anything in it.
I looked at the analysis tag again it says ruminant meat and bone meal free no mention of any other animal by-product and looked at the mg,min- again it does say 14.0%. The tag says PURINA RANGE MINERAL HI-M HI-SE, and on the bag it says formulated for my area

rws":1g97km4d said:
looked at the mg,min- again it does say 14.0%. The tag says PURINA RANGE MINERAL HI-M HI-SE, and on the bag it says formulated for my area

Since we are going into winter a mineral with 14% mag is typically for spring grass. Prevents grass Teteny. The 14% mag in a supplement isn't effecient. If you can, find a supplement with Chelated Mag. Here's why. If the fomula is 14% mag non chelated, the system can only absorb so much the rest goes out the rear end. Thus why the high amount of mag in the formula. They body has a great amount going through the system for it to latch on to. If the formula is chelated mag then much less is needed and the amount will be absorbed into the system not washed out the rear.

Get your hay and ground tested for your specific mineral needs. If you fertilize your hay grounds/pastures mag could be def because of that also.

cattle_gal":37sv2pqd said:

I was just looking at the ingredients on the "Sup-R-block" it has Animal Fat and then farther down it has (Animal protein products) I'm confused, wouldn't that be the same as Animal by-products. It say's Ruminant meat and bone meal free. I perches this in Dec 2003

Rod

Is it just ruminate by-products that are illegal?

Rod

you can't feed ruminants to ruminants, hogs to hogs, chickens to chickens, or basicly like species to like species. That's when you'll have problems with disease, hogs, and chickens can be fed to cattle, and cattle can be fed to hogs and chickens

Jake":1f6ep18l said:
hogs, and chickens can be fed to cattle, and cattle can be fed to hogs and chickens

Are you advocating this, Jake?

not saying you should feed animals to animals just sayin that if you want to that's the only way to be "safe" I see no earthly reason to feed by products but whatever floats your boat. I'm not gunna be able to stop anybody anyways... Especially as a teen, everybody knows how well we're listened to...

MR3":9o34ny4a said:
I was just looking at the ingredients on the "Sup-R-block" it has Animal Fat and then farther down it has (Animal protein products) I'm confused, wouldn't that be the same as Animal by-products. It say's Ruminant meat and bone meal free. I perches this in Dec 2003

Rod

Not since 1987 or somewhere around then, has any company been able to legally put bone meal/ruminant in a feed product. Animal fat is not considered bone meal/ruminant so it is added and presumed safe. It maybe hard to find a mineral and feed supplement without the aminal fat in it. But look around. It should have grain by products instead of animal by products. Which by the way if anyone is thinking of going orgainic - they do not consider a mineral program to be orgainic. The grain is may have GMO grains in it.

I have a question.

I get salt blocks with selenium(sp) and other minerals. Is that good enough? Or, do I offer those and and loose minerals?

When you talk about salt blocks are you meaning pure salt blocks or mixed?

This is one of those things that is interesting (to a point) but can also get way more complicated than it needs to be. Here are the basics: Leave salt out free choice all the time. No option there. Adding minerals is even better. Blocks are OK, loose is best. If in doubt about which or what they need, getting the answer doesn't have to be overly complex and you don't need a laboratory to figure it out. Just put out both and see which they go after the most. Bear in mind that this thread is about minerals, not protein.

Craig-TX

The purina range mineral i was talking about has the processed grain by-products in it . rws

Latest posts