Loose Cattle Gone Wild

Help Support CattleToday:

ingeclody

Reaction score
We lost two young steers 10 days ago. something spooked them and they went right thru the electric fence They were loose 3 days before someone located them.

They run away if they even see a person. The terrain is steep with a lot of brush. They hide in the brush. Hired a man with two exceptional herding dogs. Dogs walked the steers thru the brush to a clearing where a pipe coral was set up. The steers would not go into the clearing, They turned and bolted. Ran about a mile. Charged a man on horseback who was trying to block their way. They went up a steep and rocky hill . The horse could not follow-too steep and rocky . Don't know where the steers are now. Even if found, we are at a loss as to how to
catch them. They go right thru barbed wire and electric fencing. If cornered, they charge at whatever is standing in their way. Have already inquired about tranquilizer gun. Can't get close enough. Food doesn't entice them. There are areas of green, lush grass and a stream. We live in San Diego County. We have had a roper, a tracker, herding dogs, people on horseback (not all at once) None of it worked.
thought about shooting them, but it would take a high powered rifle and a permit which I doubt we could get .Anyone have advice ? :help:

I'd sight in my scope a drop em, permit or no permit. Be some good eatin' and the headache and liability would be gone.

tripleBfarms":1x2m3iy1 said:
I'd sight in my scope a drop em, permit or no permit. Be some good eatin' and the headache and liability would be gone.
:nod:

If you find them again, I would take 3 or 4 gentle mama cows that come to grain and turn them out with them. They will bond with those cattle and if you feed them grain each day, it won't take long until the 2 calves will settle down and go anywhere with those cows

Thanks fellas. I will look into each one of those suggestions- whatever works. Shooting them brngs up another problem - 600 pounds of dead meat. (1200 being there are 2 of them)

If you call your local sale barn, they should be able to give you the name of the local wild cow catcher. You need some professional help. The going rate is 1/2 of what they bring at the sale barn. I am in this business in west Texas, and there is almost always someone with-in driving distance if you ask the right people.

tsmaxx47":2bns0nsk said:
why do you need a permit?

It's Kalifornia for cryin out loud. That's probably why the calves took off they couldn't bear the thought that Jerry Brown just got another 4 years.

Wild Cattle":9v2w4uqe said:
If you call your local sale barn, they should be able to give you the name of the local wild cow catcher. You need some professional help. The going rate is 1/2 of what they bring at the sale barn. I am in this business in west Texas, and there is almost always someone with-in driving distance if you ask the right people.

do you use dogs?

These dogs were really good. They walked the steers slow and careful. These steers surprise everyone who has tried to corral them. They don't act like steers usually do. I don't think there are any sale barns in San Diego. If you know of any, let me know. Gun Permit. I believe it is necessary to discharge a gun in San Diego County. Probably would need a deer rifle since they will run if they see anyone

Have you contacted the sheriff? There still has to be areas of the county that have livestock, Dulzura, Jamul in the south or maybe Poway or Ramona to the north.

3waycross":3qq6x3fg said:
tsmaxx47":3qq6x3fg said:
why do you need a permit?

It's Kalifornia for cryin out loud. That's probably why the calves took off they couldn't bear the thought that Jerry Brown just got another 4 years.

Is that even part of the United States anymore.
Something ain't adding up here even if something spooked them they would eventually come home in a day or so.

Not to be disrespectful but the dogs were not "good" and the people who have tried to catch these cattle for you have been unqualified.

Once contact is made with these steers two men should have them caught, tied down, and loaded them in about an hour. I am shocked that the answer from anyone is to shoot the cattle. That just shows me the total lack of any cattle handling expertise or skill and is a terrible way to make up for the owners ineptitude. If you, as a cattle owner, can't handle stray cattle yourself or don't have the phone number of someone who can, you have no business owning cattle in the first place.

News Flash, that is exactly what steers act like when they get out and get wound up.

ingeclody":2t3tv48b said:
These dogs were really good. They walked the steers slow and careful. These steers surprise everyone who has tried to corral them. They don't act like steers usually do. I don't think there are any sale barns in San Diego. If you know of any, let me know. Gun Permit. I believe it is necessary to discharge a gun in San Diego County. Probably would need a deer rifle since they will run if they see anyone

We bought these 2 steers about a month ago. Kept them on a corral for two weks before turning them loose in a pasture. When they got loose, we called the people we bought them from. They sent out the man with the dogs that he always uses to herd his cattle. We notified the sherrif, the highway patrol, animal rescue, and animal control. None of them offered any aadvise or help except for animal rescue. We have had a couple of steers to raise every year for the past 4 years. Yes, we are beginners. That is why I have asked for help and advice from this forum.
Dun: you seem to know the area well. Where can we find qualified help. The cattle seem to be heading home to Ramona where we bought them. Is that possible?

ingeclody":1jrmex4m said:
We bought these 2 steers about a month ago. Kept them on a corral for two weks before turning them loose in a pasture. When they got loose, we called the people we bought them from. They sent out the man with the dogs that he always uses to herd his cattle. We notified the sherrif, the highway patrol, animal rescue, and animal control. None of them offered any aadvise or help except for animal rescue. We have had a couple of steers to raise every year for the past 4 years. Yes, we are beginners. That is why I have asked for help and advice from this forum.
Dun: you seem to know the area well. Where can we find qualified help. The cattle seem to be heading home to Ramona where we bought them. Is that possible?
There have to be some large cattle operations still around there. Everyone I owuld know is long since dead by now. I was thinking of maybe seeing if someone on the Barona Reservation might have some ideas. But I don;t even know if they still run cattle there anymore.

ingeclody":1zk6226x said:
Thanks fellas. I will look into each one of those suggestions- whatever works. Shooting them brngs up another problem - 600 pounds of dead meat. (1200 being there are 2 of them)

Are there any mobile butchers in you're area? He could do the work right at your house. Or, You could skin and block out the animal at home, then pack it on ice and take it to a processor to have it trimmed into the desired cuts and vacuum packed. Just a thought.

our neighbor had a 1100 pound steer get out and he was wild and crazy. my husband was mowing a hay field near by and the crazy thing was out in the field chasing him on the tractor/mower. nephew chased him off with the four wheeler (I wouldnt of let him had I been there). Needless to say the neighbor could not catch him so when the butcher shop opened the doors they shot him and just took him in like that. I would think the meat wouldnt be as good but dont know 4 sure.

It is my understanding from our local butchers that the animal has to walk in unassisted to be slaughtered if the house is USDA inspected. I would bet all butchers in San Diego County are USDA inspected. Verify with the butcher if you decide to shoot them and quarter them yourself before you do it. The mama cow idea is probably the best bet unless you can find somebody who is really good at cathing them.

Latest posts