Loose Cattle Gone Wild

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a question that is related to this topic, do most of you carry insurance on your cattle? I know I do and it is very inexspensive. It covers me in case a cow is hit on the road or tears down my neighbors fences etc. It is liability insurance to protect me in the case any cows get out and cause any damages. I think I pay around $150/50 head. I just saw alot of talk on here about losing everything when a car hits a stray cow and it got me to thinking.

Flying G":2o4hara1 said:
I have a question that is related to this topic, do most of you carry insurance on your cattle? I know I do and it is very inexspensive. It covers me in case a cow is hit on the road or tears down my neighbors fences etc. It is liability insurance to protect me in the case any cows get out and cause any damages. I think I pay around $150/50 head. I just saw alot of talk on here about losing everything when a car hits a stray cow and it got me to thinking.

I do.

Although I think you do have to show duty of care. So you have to show that you do not have a record of cattle getting out, and them getting out and just leaving them out would probably not go well on your record.

Suzie Q":26y1ii8a said:
Although I think you do have to show duty of care. So you have to show that you do not have a record of cattle getting out, and them getting out and just leaving them out would probably not go well on your record.

Careful. Don't insult her. She's 70 and disabled. I got told for saying she should be out looking for them not just letting them run loose.
My thinking also being disabled is that this gal should have this figured out prior to having an incident. I know I do. Knowing there are situations I physically can not able to handle.
sigh
I know other are thinking what I'm thinking.

@Wild Cattle- Do you think you know everything? Cause last time I checked you didn't know everything. Who do you think you are? Obviously if they own cattle they know something about them.

@Ingeclody- I would just find them and have the butcher come out.

@Stocky- That might not always work. You could have they calmest cow ever, and you bring it near one crazy animal they may just turn out like them.

And one thing NEVER trust an animal. And always use safety while working with them.

Since the OP hasn;t been back since 3 days after the original post we'll never know

I told you I'd be back when the cattle were found.
about 2 weeks ago our neighbor spotted them on a hill side near his home. 3 miles north of where they were last seen. He called a friend who is a deer hunter and my daughter and son in law and the 4 of them went to where they had been seen. They saw them about 10 feet off the hwy. It was decided to shoot them as they could run across the hwy and cause an accident. the deer hunter had to be careful as he did not want to shoot across the hwy. He had to re-position himself. The cattle caught a glimpse of him and ran. About a wek laater, at dusk, a friend spotted them in a field on the corner of the hwy and the road leading into town. A very busy intersection. None of this is fenced. It was ascertained that during the day, they kept low. At dusk they came out to graze. This evening 2 deer hunters stationed themselves out of sight near the pond on that property (where they saw hoof prints earlier in the week). The two steers appeared around dusk.
The two deer hunters each dropped a steer.

Thank you for the update. I'm sorry that your steers had to be shot, but I am glad that they never got on the road and caused a wreck.

Isomade":3eohflfu said:
tripleBfarms":3eohflfu said:
I'd sight in my scope a drop em, permit or no permit. Be some good eatin' and the headache and liability would be gone.
:nod:
Took your advice. Just located the two steers. Downed them with long range deer rifle. Headdache is gone:)

Latest posts