Looking for ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

Speaking of vitamins, etc... it seems like he's pretty sluggish generally speaking.. could be be needing a Selenium shot?, couple it with a Vit A/D as well while you're at it...

well it's good to hear that you've found *something* he seems to like.. hopefully that'll get him started

Update: :)
Although he still hasn't gotten the hang of grazing on grass he HAS figured out how to devour his grain (out of his milk bucket). Every meal I added fresh starter to his milk so that as he drank it down he'd get starter. I noticed in a day or two he started to stop drinking and chew the grain he slurped up. He left a lot behind.
Yesterday it seemed to click in his brain. Now he's finishing his starter and leaving a clean bucket. He even went back and ate fresh starter from his bucket between meals. I'm really happy with the improvements he's made! He's even eating a bit of hay it seems.
He already looks fuller between meals and this evening was at our door calling for his dinner.
Thank you all for the ideas! I hope he continues to improve!! Ill post an update if things change :)

Update:
We had to euthanize him yesterday. He was doing great. Eating and drinking well. Putting on weight and living with the other two bottle calves. Was even gaining a noticeable amount of weight.
Unfortunately yesterday his seizures returned with a vengeance. He had one after another after another and they were big ones. Took the life right out of him. Had no choice but to end his suffering. They just wouldn't stop.
Anyone ever heard of cattle getting seizures?

Nesikep":1pon9jmv said:
Speaking of vitamins, etc... it seems like he's pretty sluggish generally speaking.. could be be needing a Selenium shot?, couple it with a Vit A/D as well while you're at it...

well it's good to hear that you've found *something* he seems to like.. hopefully that'll get him started

We give them all of the above. We have a selenium deficiency in our area as it is. Sorry I hadn't responded to your comment. I thought I had but apparently it didn't post. My apologies!

Lucky_P":2r2wox12 said:
Yes, we see seizures/convulsions in calves.
My top three considerations, not necessarily in any particular order, other than #1.

Septicemia/encephalitis subsequent to failure of passive transfer of maternal antibodies

Polioencephalomalacia: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/nervous ... lacia.html

Nervous coccidiosis: http://www.iowabeefcenter.org/Docs_heal ... diosis.pdf

Beyond the three conditions above, you get into 'chasing zebras'.

Lucky_P, what about Ideopathic Epilepsy? Probably not that in this case, but it is a genetic cause of seizures. I'm not sure how prevalent it is outside of Hereford cattle.

Wow. Thanks guys! I didn't know there semi common. Your right. I did the best I could an I tried for months. You can't save them all.

We had one that had that polio stuff once, really weird. It was beef too, so it had a fair will to live
Hang in

Chris,
Since it was a dairy-cross calf, I discounted the likelihood of IE; pretty unlikely outside of a purebred Hereford.

Latest posts