Looking For Gelbvieh & Angus AI Sires

Help Support CattleToday:

Jabes0623

Reaction score
I have 4 cows I'll be AI'ing this spring. I am looking strictly at retaining heifers so I want the strongest possible maternal bull. 3 of the cows are 50/50 Balancers, I'm going to breed them to a PB Gelbvieh bull. Double V was kind enough to recommend Pure Power & DAR National to me so if any of you have any experience with either of them I'd love to hear about it. But at the moment I'm still looking at all available options so shout them out.

The other cow is a PB Gelbvieh & I'm looking at breeding her to an Angus bull to take advantage of heterosis. So if you all could throw out the names of some strong maternal Angus sires also I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jabes0623":2vekpspf said:
Since I'm only AI'ing 4 cows cost isn't a factor. I want the best.
What does the best mean to you?

BC Eagle Eye females may be awesome in the show ring or the front pasture....BUT fertility is a concern.
AAA 15751696
HP 4.8 bottom 15% of the breed
SC .18 bottom 15%
CEM -3 bottom 2%
$EN -11 bottom 35%
MW +47 top 25%
ced -3 bottom 5%
bw +4.4 .93 acc. bottom 5%

http://www.bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=1470

Son of Butch":30rqjxdy said:
Jabes0623":30rqjxdy said:
Since I'm only AI'ing 4 cows cost isn't a factor. I want the best.
What does the best mean to you?

BC Eagle Eye females may be awesome in the show ring or the front pasture....BUT fertility is a concern.
AAA 15751696
HP 4.8 bottom 15% of the breed
SC .18 bottom 15%
CEM -3 bottom 2%
$EN -11 bottom 35%
MW +47 top 25%
ced -3 bottom 5%
bw +4.4 .93 acc. bottom 5%

http://www.bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=1470

I suppose "best" can be very subjective.

I'm starting a small commercial herd based around Balncer cows. I have zero interest in show cattle, I want moderate momma cows that can thrive on grass & hay & that will put a calf on the ground every year & breed back without issue. I would like to keep my cows on the Gelbvieh side (75% GV 25% Angus) for their early puberty, fertility, milk, & disposition. So the "best" sire to me is the one that adds maternal traits & soundness to his daughters. I want functional fertile cows who will stay in my herd a long time.

Hopefully that clears it up a little.

What about adding a high maternal Hereford bull. The fertility in the Herefords I would think would complement the balancer nicely. That is the route I hope to go when I get my gelbvieh % where I want it. Just a suggestion.

I do like everything I hear about what the Hereford brings to the table, particularly when crossed with a PB Gelbvieh. It's my understanding that the AGA is now pushing the "Gelbford" cross cows pretty hard. However that's not a direction I'm intersted in going in at the moment. I don't want to throw a 3rd breed in the mix until I go terminal, & even then I may just use a terminal Angus sire on my Balancers. But for now my focus is on creating top quality heifers.

KHR 47R great maternal numbers only downside is hetero polled
http://www.bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=434

Junior...lots of milk and really old school Gelbvieh genetics
http://www.bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=199

Ozz Govenor.......he makes GOOD cows. I have a lot of govenor in my cows. He's a better cowmaker than he is a bullmaker.
http://www.bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=239

U271 good maternal numbers and believe me when i say he throws a lot of heifers(the no good sob) thats all i got out of him,
http://www.bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=448

Bodacious good maternal and huge nuts(higher fertility in his dtrs)
http://www.bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=411

There's more but that's a good list and they are all Bull Barn bulls. I also agree with Double V on Pure Power. My friend Hillsdown has a pure power that she loves. He is available from ABS and I have used him and am about to buy some more semen on him. Nothing against National but they say you want a pretty soggy cow(lots of capacity) to breed to him. If that describes your cows then by all means use him.

I assume you are going for black but if you want to try red Star Buck is a heck of a sire so is Pop a Top.

My twin 4yr old Ozz Ideal Direction daughters just calved back to back bred to my Pure Power son, both had bull calves. They came out "popping"!

The only concern I have with Pure Power is that he does throw some white sometimes.

hillsdown":11d91xck said:
I assume you are going for black but if you want to try red Star Buck is a heck of a sire so is Pop a Top.

My twin 4yr old Ozz Ideal Direction daughters just calved back to back bred to my Pure Power son, both had bull calves. They came out "popping"!

The only concern I have with Pure Power is that he does throw some white sometimes.

Are you getting some white on yours

I have one top brass son from an accidental mating(I grabbed the wrong stuff from my inventory tank and discovered that three hours later at the ranch with the cow in the chute) that makes me really want to make that cross again in multitudes. He wasn't my first choice but boy did he ever work. :D

Jabes0623":2bb11duh said:
I really like the look of Adkins Jackpot 906W, except he's not HP & his acc are lower than I'd like to see. But he looks like the total package. Anyone ever used him?

http://bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=409

He's a 3 for CED. If you are looking for maternal that's at the bottom end of the breed. He is also WAAAAY high on milk. stay with middle of the road epd's on things like milk. You can definately have too much of a good thing.

3waycross":idpx0n6u said:
Jabes0623":idpx0n6u said:
I really like the look of Adkins Jackpot 906W, except he's not HP & his acc are lower than I'd like to see. But he looks like the total package. Anyone ever used him?

http://bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=409

He's a 3 for CED. If you are looking for maternal that's at the bottom end of the breed. He is also WAAAAY high on milk. stay with middle of the road epd's on things like milk. You can definately have too much of a good thing.

Thanks 3waycross, I assumed he was a little to extreme but never hurts to ask.

3waycross":ox45ilxn said:
hillsdown":ox45ilxn said:

Are you getting some white on yours

I used Pure Power quite heavily in 2013 and about half of his calves last year had white on their bellies, some with white on their sides. These were also out of multiple blood lines. The sons and daughters out of my hetero red Pure Power son this year are all solid blk or red. Go figure!

Trusted, recently-deceased friend, who was a long-time Angus breeder recently recommended Coneally Counselor(ABS) as an excellent cow-maker who sires good feet. He also recommended CRA Bextor(Select Sires?) - said they'd bred cows to him every year for the past 13-14 years, and he'd left great cows in the herd.
Best Angus AI sire I've used, for daughters, has been B/R Destination 928(ABS). He ain't pretty, but the daughters are nice.

Thank you Lucky P, I'll look into them. We don't need pretty cows we need functional cows. About the only Angus sire I've found thus far that I really like is Bar Emulation EXT, he's expensive but impressive. Though admittedly I haven't looked at Angus much yet, been focused on Gelbvieh. Fortunately (or unfortunately maybe lol) I'm only AI'ing one cow Angus so I can afford to splurge a little this go around.

Jabes0623":2pf6rysc said:
Thank you Lucky P, I'll look into them. We don't need pretty cows we need functional cows. About the only Angus sire I've found thus far that I really like is Bar Emulation EXT, he's expensive but impressive. Fortunately (or unfortunately maybe lol) I'm only AI'ing one cow Angus so I can afford to splurge a little this go around.

He is very impressive and behind thousands of very good cattle. He is especially good to have in my country as his offspring perform well at altitude.

HOWEVER he is also the benchmark for "crazy b@stard" in the Angus breed. His DOC epd is a -10. Keep looking!

3waycross":3fws2a58 said:
Jabes0623":3fws2a58 said:
Thank you Lucky P, I'll look into them. We don't need pretty cows we need functional cows. About the only Angus sire I've found thus far that I really like is Bar Emulation EXT, he's expensive but impressive. Fortunately (or unfortunately maybe lol) I'm only AI'ing one cow Angus so I can afford to splurge a little this go around.

He is very impressive and behind thousands of very good cattle. He is especially good to have in my country as his offspring perform well at altitude.

HOWEVER he is also the benchmark for "crazy b@stard" in the Angus breed. His DOC epd is a -10. Keep looking!

Well dang, thought I might have gotten lucky early in my Angus search, but don't need any crazy b@stard cows. Guess you just saved me some $ 3waycross.

Latest posts