looking for florida or Georgia peanut growers

Help Support CattleToday:

presmudjo

Reaction score
I hope this is where I can ask. We are looking into opening a small veggie and whatnot store thing and want to make some boiled peanuts. Must be the best kept secret out there. All I find are associations, government pages, etc. Contact them and they will contact the grower. All our government money going to what? Farm Bureau wasn't any better. Anyone know of a web page so I can get ideas on prices of peanuts? i'm really not into tying my whole day up waiting on phone calls to get info on prices and all, but I will if i know the lead is good. I don't know alot about peanuts, just they taste darn good boiled! We have bought bags at the flee market and boiled our own before. I have been told, green is the best and quickest, but ya gotta do it asap and it can only happen at harvest. We make beef jerky and smoked italian sausage and that is what is starting this thing out. We have outgrown the house sales, so if going in a business outside need to add stuff. oh, our local honey maker seems to have gone away and I really need honey from Central Florida area. Any leads there? I use it in my beef jerky and people really seem to want local honey. Any help is appreciated.
Jo

What type peanut are you looking for? Are you looking to buy several tons to put in storage or are you looking for a consistent supply of small quantities? Price for dried bulk peanuts will generally be around $450/ton but your desire to buy green is asking someone to go out of their way and do things outside normal operations so this will cost more.

Don't understand what you are looking for regarding the honey. Lots of producers in Ga/Fla. Here are the associations by state and Ga/Fla both have several listings. If these aren't the type producers you are looking for I'd suggest asking a watermelon farmer or a citrus producer who supplies the hives for their germination.

Jo check out Horace Bell Honey or Bell Honey in Deland, Fl use to be one of the top honey producers in the world. I would think he's still way up there.

Larry

Sorry for delay in responding. Comcast hasn't worked well for a few weeks now. Frustrating. Anyway, not wanting hugh amounts of peanuts, like 100 lbs to start and test the waters. Not sure what variety, just what would be best to make boiled peanuts with. Thanks for the heads up on the Bell honey. Hope we get some of this rain, but so far looks like its skipping us here.
Jo

Check out ol' Jimmy Carter over in Plains Georgia...always said he was a peanut farmer...course he passed himself off as US President for 4 years too :lol2:

I maybe wrong on this, and if I am, I'm sure I'll be corrected. The reason the government wants to contact the farmer is peanuts (unless something has changed) are grown on an allotment system. And each farmer that has an allotment and can only sell there allotment quota in the United States. If they raise more than their quota the excess must be sold outside the United States. You can buy US peanuts in Mexico for a great deal less than you can here.

I googled peanut allotment and found this:

Accession Number : ADA107377

Title : Information on Peanut Allotment Owners that Lease and Rent Away Rather Than Plant Their Peanut Allotments/Quotas.

Corporate Author : GENERAL ACCOUNTING OFFICE WASHINGTON DC COMMUNITY AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DIV

Report Date : 21 SEP 1981

Pagination or Media Count : 7

Abstract : Section 359(b) of the Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1938, as amended, provides that anyone growing and marketing more than 1 acre of peanuts in the United States without a peanut allotment and quota is subject to a substantial penalty. Allotments have been assigned to individual farms. A person without an original allotment must either inherit, purchase, or rent the farm, or lease the peanut allotment from the farm's owner. Each allotment holder receives, as a farm poundage marketing quota, a proportionate share of the national poundage quota established by the Secretary of Agriculture. In 1981 the national peanut allotment was 1,739,000 acres. There are 16 states with allotments, but 92 percent of the allotments are in just 6 states--Alabama, Georgia. North Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, and Virginia. When peanuts are grown under lease or rental arrangements, not by the owners of the allotments, the cost of production is increased by the lease/rent cost. According to data obtained by the Department during a 1978 survey, in 1977 this cost ranged from a low of $31 an acre in Texas to a high of $192 an acre in Georgia.

Descriptors : *RESOURCE MANAGEMENT, *PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION, *FARMS, *FARM CROPS, ACCOUNTING, HUMAN RESOURCES, COSTS, SURVEYS, PRODUCTION CONTROL, ALLOCATIONS, PRODUCTIVITY, LAND USE, LEASING, AUDITING, AGRONOMY.

Subject Categories : AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS

Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE

upfrombottom":23grtt7b said:
I maybe wrong on this, and if I am, I'm sure I'll be corrected. The reason the government wants to contact the farmer is peanuts (unless something has changed) are grown on an allotment system. And each farmer that has an allotment and can only sell there allotment quota in the United States. If they raise more than their quota the excess must be sold outside the United States. You can buy US peanuts in Mexico for a great deal less than you can here.

About 25 years ago this information was correct. Now, there is no allotment system for peanuts and you can grow and sell as many as you want and would help explain why there is a year's surplus in storage. This has been a windfall for some cattle producers in my area as high fertilizer prices encouraged more farmers to grow goobers which led to lots of peanut hay which gave some folks - like myself - access to free hay if you'd just move it out of the field.

Now, farmers that owned or rented peanut allotments in the 5 years leading up to the end of the allotment program in 2003 receive DCP payments based on the allotments they owned or rented during those 5 years. :D

ga. prime":3bv9b6gx said:
Now, farmers that owned or rented peanut allotments in the 5 years leading up to the end of the allotment program in 2003 receive DCP payments based on the allotments they owned or rented during those 5 years. :D

I thought it went out with the revisions in 81 on the farm bill but you are probably right. Gov't is kinda slow to implement stuff. Never could understand the program myself. Glad its gone. Made land cheaper.

edit: The vote to abolish it was in 1981. Vote was 250 to 159. Did I mention the gov't don't get in a hurry?

Owners or renters of allotments still received price supports on quota peanuts after passage of the '81 farm bill until 2003. But, anyone that wanted to could grow peanuts with or without an allotment- they just wouldn't get price support. I think that's how it worked- never understood the whole thing very well either. I understand the DCP payment thing even less.

Latest posts