Looking for advice on a spy camera

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I suspect I may have some theft problems and would like to put a spy camera in. All staff enter and leave through our back door, that door enters into a small storage area and then through another door into the back of the business. The storage room is about 8' wide and 14' long. I want to put a camera pointed at the back door, needs a motion detector and has to be battery operated using a SD card. My problem is it's just a storage room and I want a hidden camera not an obvious camera, so it can't be something that draws attention. So nanny cams are out, such as clocks radios, pens etc. also it can't be hung right over the door, such as an exit sign. Looking at some cameras hidden in motion detectors, such as part of a security system, but no luck so far. Any ideas?

Thanks

Inventory control on non stock items, paper towels, soap, etc, is near impossible. Then inventory on fast selling products are tough, sell 60 in a week and missing 2. As far as size everything can be carried out. I suspect it's an employee but we have a small staff and all have keys. We could put in a security system with a coded key pad on the back door but a camera tells no lies and much cheaper. We have a coded punch key system on the front door.

Thanks for the thoughts TT and JMJ, not sure what a rear view camera is, I'll google it. I can mount on outside as long as it shows people leaving and entering the building. I don't want anyone to know there is a camera there, they will just avoid it if they are stealing something. So it has to not draw attention and be concealed in some form like a clock....... Although a clock wouldn't work because how do I explain a new clock in a storage room when we have several around the business.

TennesseeTuxedo":19hhj2os said:
Well played JMJ, very well played.

Thanks Tux. I was thinking of something that would blend into the environment so I decided to google it. Didn't really think I'd find anything, but lo and behold someone thought of the same idea before me! I always was a little slow :(

JMJ Farms":39ls0w9p said:
TennesseeTuxedo":39ls0w9p said:
Well played JMJ, very well played.

Thanks Tux. I was thinking of something that would blend into the environment so I decided to google it. Didn't really think I'd find anything, but lo and behold someone thought of the same idea before me! I always was a little slow :(

It's a very clever concept.

Looks pretty good, I wonder how well it would mount on false ceiling tiles? The walls are concrete blocks.

Alan":34s69897 said:
Looks pretty good, I wonder how well it would mount on false ceiling tiles? The walls are concrete blocks.

On ceiling tiles I would recommend one of those mounting bolts that has the spring loaded butterfly tap that opens once it's inserted through the hole. On blocks you just need a masonry bit and a tapcon.

http://www.fmwfasteners.com/products/Po ... pm5dH-9KK0

Alan":2p8074vk said:
I suspect I may have some theft problems and would like to put a spy camera in. All staff enter and leave through our back door, that door enters into a small storage area and then through another door into the back of the business. The storage room is about 8' wide and 14' long. I want to put a camera pointed at the back door, needs a motion detector and has to be battery operated using a SD card. My problem is it's just a storage room and I want a hidden camera not an obvious camera, so it can't be something that draws attention. So nanny cams are out, such as clocks radios, pens etc. also it can't be hung right over the door, such as an exit sign. Looking at some cameras hidden in motion detectors, such as part of a security system, but no luck so far. Any ideas?

Thanks

Spy Point the sd card is located away from the unit.
If someone steals the camera they don't get the SD card.

http://www.spypoint.com/EN/products/tra ... Y-WBF.html

TennesseeTuxedo":3jlqtbdt said:
How about this? Put up a camera in plain sight and a sign that says "video surveillance in use" to deter future theft. I'd put up several cameras even if all but one were dummies.

My wife and had talked about that, it boils down to employer and employee trust and most of all I want to know who's acting the "company man" part while filling their pockets. We only staff seven to ten employee at a time, most I believe are hard working loyal employees, I don't want to taint that with a "in your face" fake camera. I have three of four staff that I won't fire or take any action for stealing on roll of paper towels in a three month period, while I have one that would be out the door as soon as I found out........ I hate "high maintaince", "entitled" employees.

M-5":12fpwgge said:
Why not just fire them all and start over.

There are a lot of days I tell myself to just quit, lock the doors and walk away. :lol:

Latest posts