Looking for a semen tank !

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em

Reaction score
We're a small operation here and don't need a big tank and was looking at a mve 20.

We don't need alot of storage, only two or three cows to breed. Mostly don't want to have to fill it up every month.

Does anyone have any thoughts!

I'd even consider used.

Thanks Scott

dun":wm2dcekg said:
http://sementank.com/sementanks.htm

The CT 20 looks pretty good for the money

Sorry I forgot about that one. I like the tank cover idea. Should make a difference in Nitrogen use.

Remember when you get a tank that in addition to the original cost there is also the nitrogen that will run you $100 or more per year. Have you considered just buying from your local representative of the semen company you have chosen. You can order just before breeding and have him bring it to you. Many of them will store a small quantity of semen for you for free if you buy from them. I only breed 10 to 15 cows AI each year. All others are natural service. I have never owned a tank, although I have considered it. I am afraid once you own the tank the risks are there to become a semen junkie. Every time you see a bull you think you might like, you buy more semen. Before you know it, you have 10 times more semen than you have cows. You end up paying to keep hundreds of straws frozen on bulls you will never use.

Check with the guy who will be actually doing the nitrogen refills in your tank before you buy.
He may give you a deal on refills if you buy the tank from him. He would be a good source on used tanks for sale or may even
supply a used tank if you purchase nitrogen from him. By asking him the right questions you'll have all the information on risk and cost of ownership.

Katpau":t7y6apgo said:
Remember when you get a tank that in addition to the original cost there is also the nitrogen that will run you $100 or more per year. Have you considered just buying from your local representative of the semen company you have chosen. You can order just before breeding and have him bring it to you. Many of them will store a small quantity of semen for you for free if you buy from them. I only breed 10 to 15 cows AI each year. All others are natural service. I have never owned a tank, although I have considered it. I am afraid once you own the tank the risks are there to become a semen junkie. Every time you see a bull you think you might like, you buy more semen. Before you know it, you have 10 times more semen than you have cows. You end up paying to keep hundreds of straws frozen on bulls you will never use.

We do this - I store it all at the local facility - EastGen

They keep it and we pay about 40 bucks a year.

We need to AI they bring it to the farm and do the AI - 15 bucks for the first one and 10 for each after. We only AI about 20 or so each year - no fuss and no muss. The bull gets the rest.

They keep all the records and they are responsible if anything happens.

For MOST people a tank is a want and not a need in my opinion.

Absolutely buying a tank for a small operation that is strictly AI? I would just get Macon to send it - and I personally avoid used and reconditioned tanks - too much opportunity for something to go wrong.

Good call on asking the N rep about a break in the price - that is an excellent option as well.

Cost is really not the issue - maintaining the semen is the priority.

Cheers

Bez

slick4591":2hrdeokf said:
This is what I bought back in January. The bad side to this one is you have to break the cane in half in order for it to fit. Other than that I really like it because I don't deal with very much semen.

http://www.amazon.com/Cryogenic-Contain ... B00B4YO1QA

That tank only holds for 88 days, which is way too soon for most (especially if you have a rep fill it). I have seen those used when we buy semen and pick it up at a farm show. The stud service will hand me the tank so I can take it to my car where our normal tank is, transfer the semen, then take the tank back to them. It is small and light, and good for short holding periods.

We have an MVE, and like it. Our first tank was only 3 years old when it started to slip (losing nitrogen faster and faster), and we contacted the Genex rep we bought it from and she dropped one of her used ones off for us to use while ours was shipped back to be checked. Our tank was bad, so they mailed us a brand new one! I like that kind of service. We are in our tank a bunch with all the AI, and our tank lasts 160 days easily. Our ABS rep sends a bill every year, and comes out and fills it every 4 months. We still check it often, with the last episode, but the less you have to fill it the better. If we take it up to Genex in Strafford, it cost $25 to fill it there. Our rep is cheaper.
Now, when we first bought our tank, we only had a few cows. But we were told to buy bigger than you think you need, because you will fill it and wish you had more room. We have hit that point already! But, we have one goblet filled with semen on a bull we collected, one we raised and won the State Fair with. The other problem is when you buy 5 straws, or even 10, you usually are left with one or two, and move on to the next bull. This year I have been trying to make the bulls we have a single straw on fit into a cow, just to use it up and make room. I like the other better, buying a bull for a particular cow!

Fire Sweep Ranch":26am5y0v said:
That tank only holds for 88 days, which is way too soon for most (especially if you have a rep fill it). I have seen those used when we buy semen and pick it up at a farm show. The stud service will hand me the tank so I can take it to my car where our normal tank is, transfer the semen, then take the tank back to them. It is small and light, and good for short holding periods.

Maybe. Don't know what the book says, but I'm 4 days away from 90 days and still have 2/3rds left. Might be different when it's 110 out there, tho.

The CT-20 and the MVE-20 is what I've been looking at. Portable so to speak.

We wouldn't be getting into the tank very often, and we could buy semen from a couple breeders around here.

I'll check to see what it costs to refill it around here.

Try some of your local hospitals. My genex rep got one for free out of their hospitals basement. Might of had different canisters, & no spider. It held to for being dry.

I'm pretty sure abs rents tanks in the season. I'd talk to your local reps before I'd buy. Lot of $ for that many straws. Any neighbors with tanks?

slick4591":3q7gquar said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":3q7gquar said:

Maybe. Don't know what the book says, but I'm 4 days away from 90 days and still have 2/3rds left. Might be different when it's 110 out there, tho.

I was just reporting what it said on the page you linked. 88 days. I have never owned one, so I do not know. But that is the first thing we looked at when we were ready to buy ours, how many days between filling.

Latest posts