longhorns

Help Support CattleToday:

tommy&april

Reaction score
are there more than one type of longhorn cattle. or is ther just the texas longhorn. thinking baout getting some and my wife grandfather has some bt the horns or on his are not as wide as in some of the longhorns i have seen. also i have been told theses cattel are pretty good for clearing out some rough pasture as they like to eat browse type stuff too , is this true

You also get the old English longhorn, not sure you have them in the USA, have some photos I've taken at the Royal Welsh show a few years, that I can scan and post if you like?

tommy&april":99gt8q7n said:
are there more than one type of longhorn cattle. or is ther just the texas longhorn. thinking baout getting some and my wife grandfather has some bt the horns or on his are not as wide as in some of the longhorns i have seen. also i have been told theses cattel are pretty good for clearing out some rough pasture as they like to eat browse type stuff too , is this true

Longhorns are ruminants. Ruminants have a unique stomach that allows them to digest forage that animals with a simple stomach can't digest. Longhorns eat the same thing as other ruminants. To get good growth on any bovine, including horn growth, you need good nutrition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruminant

There are several different bllodlines in the Longhorn breed. Each one has a different strong point. Some are bred for long, lateral horn. Others stress a more full bodied cow with less horn.

It has been said many many times "There are more variations within breeds, than between breeds." This holds true for longhorns, just as Warpaint said. If you are looking for BIG horned cows, you can find them. If you are looking for really meaty longhorns, you can find them. If you are looking for colorful longhorns, you can find them. If you are looking for solid colored longhorns, you can find them. If you are looking for something reminiscent of something found in 1885, you can find them. There are many different styles of longhorns, just as in other breeds. Whichever you like, and works for you and your program, can be found with a little research.

GENERALLY, Longhorns are more willing to eat roughages that other breeds are not as willing to eat. However, they do prefer nice lush green grass to browse (brushes, leaves, shrubs, etc...), and any ruminant will less desirable roughages if that is all that is left.

Ryan

Latest posts