Longhorns

Help Support CattleToday:

We had a neighbor with a bunch of them.. I was surprised at how docile his were, though I'm not sure if that's typical. It sounds like you're in the right area for them... 36 acres ought to hold a few of them, though I don't know how much grass grows in your area.

Thanks for the reply. We think it isa good place for them as well. Lots of history for them here. One of our neighbors is the JA, Goodnight's ranch.

Had about 10 Longhorn cows 20 years ago. Nice and gentle. Easy keepers. Made good calves when bred to Angus bull, although there was color.
Only bad thing was that they were the best flat footed jumpers I ever saw. Put a coon hunting mule to shame.
Got tired of gathering them off of neighbors place and sold them.

Twisted-W":39gblzou said:
Anyone have experience with Longhorns? Have thirty six acres on the rim of Palo Duro canyon and I am considering some.
See if you can contact Bill here on the forum. He has some awesome longhorns and is up in your neck of the woods.

RUNNING ARROW FARM, LLC
Registered Texas Longhorns & TWH's
Senior Sires, "TOTEM POLE" & "BBQ"
http://www.runningarrowlonghorns.com
[email protected]

farrier":33pgh1ma said:
Had about 10 Longhorn cows 20 years ago. Nice and gentle. Easy keepers. Made good calves when bred to Angus bull, although there was color.
Only bad thing was that they were the best flat footed jumpers I ever saw. Put a coon hunting mule to shame.
Got tired of gathering them off of neighbors place and sold them.

BUT THE ONES I HAVE SEEN JUMP A FENCE....CLEARED IT AND DID NOT DRAG THE REAR END OVER IT AND TEAR IT DOWN....

We've started out with longhorns. I went with them b/c of calving ease, temperment and I think they look the best. Yesterday my wife was scratching on one and her mom turned and walked away, couldn't have cared less. Since we're very small, and we're willing to work on marketing our beef, I don't mind that they are smaller than the continental breeds b/c they cost less to purchase. Most guys (and gals) on here don't like them, but we're really enjoying them so far.

Good luck.

I really like them as animals, but I could never make a living raising them. I think they're really intended for large areas that don't require fences, and where it's good if they can jump over a fallen log, etc. The neighbors ended up in my beautiful hay field once (ok, more than once), and they were impossible to get out... They were pretty tame, so it was impossible to chase them out, but they certainly wouldn't have me lead them out either! I find they have beautiful faces, and some of the colors are really nice too

What kind of forage you have on 36 acres? Avoid purchasing the longhorns at the sale barn. Chances that they are usually fence jumpers or problematic ones. Before I moved out of the old farm, few miles down on same dirt road there is a pasture has some longhorns and they are always out in the ditch. Never seen any broken fences tho.

Buy a few from your neighbors and brand em good. Your surely going to have to feed em up there with just 36 acres...might see how far your going to have to travel to buy hay.

Buy young heifers and scoop the horns and they make great mommas. I would breed them to a good Char, Brangus, Hereford, or Beefmaster bull. I have seen people use all 4 of those crosses and got good calves that did pretty good at the sell.

Latest posts