Longhorn

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
My son snapped this photo in the stockyards yesterday on a summer camp fieldtrip.

His horns were different then the 10 other longhorns, Im clueless on this breed, what makes their horns go down like that versus up? Thought he was pretty neat looking.

Sarah....do a search on "Twisted Horn Longhorns"....I think it's a characteristic that can be bred into the cattle. Maybe some of our longhorn breeders can help us out. :)

*Disclaimer: I raise Texas Longhorns. By no means am I a horn expert, but here's my thoughts on the topic:

He's a Texas Longhorn. There way too many shapes to the horns of Longhorns to count. Some bloodlines are known for having more twist in their horns, right now the trend is for straight out, lateral horns. There was a bull, Ranger's Ranch Hand, that was/is known for having daughters that end up with a lot of twist in their horns. Breeding for a certain for a certain horn shape, especially one as intricate as the one in the picture, is tough. But I would imagine with enough time and effort you could get a horn shape to be predominant in your herd. That shape, however, is almost solely found in steers. There are few cows that have similar shapes, but as far bulls go, it is less prevalent. I would imagine due to usually having heavier horns. There is a bull called Super Bowl, that i would imagine if he'd have been cut would have had horns similar to that steer.

Ryan

Ryan":2beow82n said:
*Disclaimer: I raise Texas Longhorns. By no means am I a horn expert, but here's my thoughts on the topic:

He's a Texas Longhorn. There way too many shapes to the horns of Longhorns to count. Some bloodlines are known for having more twist in their horns, right now the trend is for straight out, lateral horns. There was a bull, Ranger's Ranch Hand, that was/is known for having daughters that end up with a lot of twist in their horns. Breeding for a certain for a certain horn shape, especially one as intricate as the one in the picture, is tough. But I would imagine with enough time and effort you could get a horn shape to be predominant in your herd. That shape, however, is almost solely found in steers. There are few cows that have similar shapes, but as far bulls go, it is less prevalent. I would imagine due to usually having heavier horns. There is a bull called Super Bowl, that i would imagine if he'd have been cut would have had horns similar to that steer.

Ryan
Interesting Ryan..I am used to seeing the ones that go up, not out..most of the others yesterday were that way, except this guy, he led the pack and his horn shape sure was impressive. I wasnt sure what caused it, but now know..Benifits of this shape, if any????

My daughter was looking over my shoulder as I opened this thread. She said that he was the lead steer and that he was leading the pack 5 years ago when she was there for a FFA convention. She said that she didn't know that he was still around. She really likes him.

There is a historical ranch near us and they have had some longhorns with similar horns. They remind me of the old longhorns J. Frank Dobie wrote about. Long and crazy - the horns not the cattle. I like them when they are not symmetrical too.

The riding steers used in the Stockyards "Cattle Drives" have the long twisty horns. The long horned males and females are still very much in demand for people that want pasture ornaments as well as those breeders that want to "moderate" other horn styles in their breeding.

It is also true, in current trends, for breeders to seek BULLS with the straight out lateral horns. The $$ issue, especially with the TLBAA affectionados, is to produce animals with GREAT "Tip To Tip" measurements.

For the rest of the world, lol, the more colorful patterns in the Longhorns and the more unusual shapped horns (except those that point down or a lot forward), the more in demand they are.

Everyone has their own preference in horns.

There are straight out, goal post, lateral with a little curve, "Texas Twist", and numerous combinations of horn styles. You want a Longhorn with horns that DO NOT look like a Jersey, Buffalo, or Hereford...lol.

We personally like horns with good lateral length that ALSO curve at the ends. We also have several good females that have "real good" coyote impalers...lol. The "lateral horns" are not very useful, IMO, for getting predators.

theres a cow bull or steer in a pasture accross the road from our hay field that has long twisted horns like that.horns looked like they was 5ft accross or more.

chippie":2ufkq9n9 said:
My daughter was looking over my shoulder as I opened this thread. She said that he was the lead steer and that he was leading the pack 5 years ago when she was there for a FFA convention. She said that she didn't know that he was still around. She really likes him.

There is a historical ranch near us and they have had some longhorns with similar horns. They remind me of the old longhorns J. Frank Dobie wrote about. Long and crazy - the horns not the cattle. I like them when they are not symmetrical too.

Chippie, he sure was the lead steer..they all looked like solid citizens. the people I were with were expecting some excitment, had to explain that 110 degree heat and the fact they do the same thing twice a day every day prob makes them less then excited over it..prob best when youve got throngs of people lining the sidewalk. My son got a kick out of him.

Bill-surprisingly, the other longhorns, including the "mongo" steer('member blazing saddles??? :lol: ) that the kids got to sit on had the "normal" out and up horns, except for this guy. I know longhorns are kind of a hodgepodge of sorts. Very interesting to see the different shapes and interesting to see how the cattle adapt to their long horns.

My husband was in charge of transporting "Paleface", a very BIG longhorn steer his squadron used at promotional events for folks to ride him, as their squadron mascot was the raging longhorn bull. HE had a pretty impressive spread and he would have to turn his head sideways to get into the trailer. Very docile creature as well, kind of humerous seeing him posed next to the squadron sign which had a red-eyed, snorting, wild looking bull painted on it. :)

As others have already said, it has to do with bllod-lines. Here's one of my older girls that has a triple twist.

100_0463.jpg

spinandslide":34w32kdt said:
warpaint":34w32kdt said:
As others have already said, it has to do with bllod-lines. Here's one of my older girls that has a triple twist.

100_0463.jpg

I like her warpaint..interesting breed of cattle!

Thanks, I kinda like her myself. She's a real calm animal, and I was lucky to find her. She's had 3 daughters for me since I've had her, and all are looking like they will carry the twist gene.

warpaint":2gcaskid said:
spinandslide":2gcaskid said:
warpaint":2gcaskid said:

100_0463.jpg

I like her warpaint..interesting breed of cattle!

Thanks, I kinda like her myself. She's a real calm animal, and I was lucky to find her. She's had 3 daughters for me since I've had her, and all are looking like they will carry the twist gene.

Loves her spotted coat. Calm is good, ranks pretty hig up there in my list of atributes!

warpaint":3vyck1j4 said:

100_0463.jpg

Looks like a good set of handlebars. Have ya been drunk enough or brave enough to try it?

Latest posts