Longhorn questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for those comments and like he said you need not a good bull but a non-horned bull of any kind, as far as I know, can knock the horns off. But there are fluckes. I think cows are fine with or without horns but if you were to see them with the horns you would see what we see. Unless you understand them and watch out just like any other cow you just watch out. We are cautious around the horns so to each his own just use caution.

WagaAgeyv":3pm4vpvw said:
Thanks for those comments and like he said you need not a good bull but a non-horned bull of any kind, as far as I know, can knock the horns off. But there are fluckes. I think cows are fine with or without horns but if you were to see them with the horns you would see what we see. Unless you understand them and watch out just like any other cow you just watch out. We are cautious around the horns so to each his own just use caution.

As long as you buy/have mild-mannered Longhorns, and spend time around them, walking through them, you shouldn't have much trouble with "horns." Each Longhorn has their own unique personality. Once you get to know each one, you know how to be around and work them. Even LH bulls are easy to be around...providing you get one with a good disposition (otherwise a bad A$$ LH bull should always be put in your freezer...usually have a hint by the time they are weaned as to their potential temperament). Spending time with and around one's LH's is best way to keep them "people friendly"...but you must start off with mild-mannered ones (that have not spent their life on the open range...lol).

A caveat: Just be sure you do not get between a Mama LH and her unweaned calf... Or, between a bull and "his" females when the females are in heat. On the other hand, some "good" LH mamas that are people socialized and trusting will let you be near them and their calf...just keep your eyes, ears, and common (cattle) sense in the forefront!

Our Longhorns (98% of them) are very "safe" to be around and some are so people trusting that you can actually poke them on their butt to get them to move out of way or down the alley. The 2% of the others are rather protective of their young...but the calves don't appear to inherit mom's protective nature...

Bottomline: Know your individual animals, respect their space and other quirks, and the two of you will get along fine... ;-)

A caveat: Just be sure you do not get between a Mama LH and her unweaned calf...

Very true, this is the only time I have problems with mine. Cutting calfs from Mamma at weaning time.............. I have been known to jump a fence or two.

I think other breeds are far worse, but other breeds don't have 4 foot horns!

Don't think for a second LH's don't know how to use those horns!

Here is picture of one upset LH mamma! She is a great cow, calf every year, great mother. Gentle and easy to work.

But........... she is a little protective of the little ones. Look at her eyes...... I had just made it outside the fence!

LonghornRanch":2pgpw7bo said:
Here is picture of one upset LH mamma! She is a great cow, calf every year, great mother. Gentle and easy to work.

But........... she is a little protective of the little ones. Look at her eyes...... I had just made it outside the fence!

Peaches-N-Cream.jpg

Just an oberservation on my part, but I was wondering if any of you other Longhorn breeders have notcied a pattern when it comes to bad dispostion. In other words, is there any one type of color patterned animal, etc, that seems to have the worst disposition.

For example, I believe the speckled cattle with dark color around their eyes are not generally as calm as the others. We have 2 that are like that.

memanpa":2y52bjxq said:
in my experence not many longhorns are used for roping!!
correntie are the ropers choice, smaller faster and better over all suited to roping,
also all of the ropers i know (and that is many) take better care of their roping stock that a lot of other folks do! better fed and cared for!
they do not strech them out merely catch them, a lot of the ropers i know will work them for about 6 months or so and then
move on, hiefers they will breed steers go down the road,

as far as asking someone to make them better i do not understand this stament in what way alice? better how?

I'm glad the ropers you know do take such good care of them...the ones I've dealt with don't. Make them better? Well, since they don't care for them well, it means get them over pneumonia, get them to eat since they quit eating, can't get them to run anymore (duh!), blah, blah, blah. I've sold several really nice animals that have been roped that have come back wormy, sick, rope burned. These fools just know how to rope, and I use that term loosely. They haven't a clue how to care for them.

if you think that cute little 200 # calf you bought at the barn, could not have been part of a ropers stock you are mistaken i know several stock producers who buy those 90# to 100# salebarn calves for their string, only to see those same calves show up at the bard in a few months having grown to big to be roped. once again better cared for than a lot of the other cattle around :D

I don't buy cute little 200# calves...I buy cute little 70-100# calves that still have their navel cords attached and raise them to be nice big 600-700# calves.

The ropers I've dealt with like to buy several many smaller calves, just in case they break their legs...yup, had 'em tell me that...like that's gonna make me inclined to try to make their banged up, sick calves all better for them. Bah!

Like I said, glad you've seen the better side...wish I knew those folks...

Alice

As a guy who works around longhorns and now is learning all about the beef buisness here is my answer. If you want money through beef prod dont go long horn they have lean meat, low cholesterol
ect. Longhorn are good for dry and tuff areas (Longhorns originated in Spain I believe) most long horns that I know about are grown for what I call it "Rich mans game" they are like trading cards in millionaries hands, the longer the horns the more prestige. We average I believe 10 or 15 thousand a cow due to pure bloodline and great horns and allot of other variables. Longhorns can be freindly like any other cows all depends on how they were raised. Slow movement helps agains some rowdey cow's but I have still been stabed by em (cut me didnt gore me I was wearing jeans) take precaution man thats all I can say those old ladies get spooked to easy from my experience (gored my freind and almost squashed his testicles) crazy days, but other wise they are beautiful ruged creatures. Enjoy.

She was in a pen and one side of the pen was still wood. You know the kind of pen you keep telling yourself you're going to upgrade, but haven't gotten around to it. Loaded her calf in the trailer started down the road to the main gate, opened the main gate..... heard her crash though the wooden fence and start charging across the pasture. Moved the truck and trailer outside the fence and slammed the gate shut right before she made it. She stood there telling us are parents weren't married and daring me to join her on her side of the fence. I passed! ( I did take a picture)

TXBobcat, That cow pictured above is really old, 18 years plus. She is always calm. IMHO, old cows just don't "spook" like the young ones. Two days after snatching her calf she was eating cattle cubes out of my handy. She is a good cow, I wish I owned her. I do own her last two calves.

They're great cattle-easy to work with and as I've preached on here before great to cross with other beef breeds to produce a good beef calf, of course the Charolais is the best cross if you're selling beef calves because you can beat the cattle rustlers at the sale barn. Not every Longhorn breeder is a millionaire and swaps checks to make their cows look like they sold for an astronomical amount of money in the registered sales. I'm sure this goes on in other breed sales too.

In every breed you're going to have a nut or two but as a rule the Longhorn is a very docile animal. But, if you never handle your cattle and see them from a truck once a month they just may be a little flighty. I've bought a few of these wild ones at a bargain a time or two in some sales and have actually gentled them down enough that they are workable in our herd. A Longhorn cow will produce and raise a good calf for you at less expense than many other breeds. Their foraging ability is excellent, they will eat alot of other things that many breeds won't eat and still come through for you. Yes, they have horns, I rarely see any of mine use them in a defensive way unless a strange dog threatens their baby. I've been hit in the side a time or two by a horn but it was my fault not the cow's as I was not paying attention. Try them, I think you'll like them.

LonghornRanch":3ujqoyaf said:

No picture! I was going to show my daughter what an alert Longhorn looks like, but the picture disappeared! :(

Oops, I was moving things around my photobucket account and cut the link.

I can't get the picture to post?

LonghornRanch":1mov9gz6 said:
Oops, I was moving things around my photobucket account and cut the link.

Peaches-N-Cream.jpg

I can't get the picture to post?

What a PROUD, regal, and alert looking animal! Once again, I'm awestruck!
xyxthumbs.gif
animatedsalute.gif

Alice":22q5kft5 said:
memanpa":22q5kft5 said:
in my experence not many longhorns are used for roping!!
correntie are the ropers choice, smaller faster and better over all suited to roping,
also all of the ropers i know (and that is many) take better care of their roping stock that a lot of other folks do! better fed and cared for!
they do not strech them out merely catch them, a lot of the ropers i know will work them for about 6 months or so and then
move on, hiefers they will breed steers go down the road,

as far as asking someone to make them better i do not understand this stament in what way alice? better how?

I'm glad the ropers you know do take such good care of them...the ones I've dealt with don't. Make them better? Well, since they don't care for them well, it means get them over pneumonia, get them to eat since they quit eating, can't get them to run anymore (duh!), blah, blah, blah. I've sold several really nice animals that have been roped that have come back wormy, sick, rope burned. These fools just know how to rope, and I use that term loosely. They haven't a clue how to care for them.

if you think that cute little 200 # calf you bought at the barn, could not have been part of a ropers stock you are mistaken i know several stock producers who buy those 90# to 100# salebarn calves for their string, only to see those same calves show up at the bard in a few months having grown to big to be roped. once again better cared for than a lot of the other cattle around :D

I don't buy cute little 200# calves...I buy cute little 70-100# calves that still have their navel cords attached and raise them to be nice big 600-700# calves.

The ropers I've dealt with like to buy several many smaller calves, just in case they break their legs...yup, had 'em tell me that...like that's gonna make me inclined to try to make their banged up, sick calves all better for them. Bah!

Like I said, glad you've seen the better side...wish I knew those folks...

Alice

alice i am sorry you have had bad experince with ropers! steer or tie ropers but as i said i know a lot of ropers as well as a couple of rodeo producers, and in my experence they truely care for thier animals. lost and hurt animals = lost money!!!!
so the ones that i know do not like to lose money. sounds like you have some losers as far as ropers go. any animal is subject to being hurt, roped or other wise, but i sincerly doubt that any responsible roper is out to HURT or MISTREAT any of thier stock!
in the area that i live in there is no less than 20 ropers engaging in friendly jackpots 3-4 nights a week, never have i heard of them mistreating an animal! and all of them do thier own vet care unless it is serious!
as far as the calves you buy fantastic!!!
i have no problem with your doing that, i do it also from time to time but find it is not real profitable to bottle feed them with the cost of milk replacer but that is my opinion only!

I have not noticed any specific signifigance in color patterns. We have all shapes sizes and color schemes. Only time bad dispotitions is when a baby and mama get seperated. Our mamas let us walk up to the babies as long as you aren't being aggressive. I am cautious of the bulls especially when you have cows in heat. Just use your eyes, then your head then if neccessary use your feet. Just like when you were a kid crossing the street, look at each cow as it were a car with a real brain behind it. They are very great companions for you in your pasture. Just bigger than your average pet. Just try and enjoy them.

Latest posts