Longhorn questions

Help Support CattleToday:

63DH8

Reaction score
The only experience I have with cattle was, after my father got out of the Navy, we had white faced cows, a milk cow (Never again!!!), and an Angus. After I joined the Army, and got stationed at Ft. Hood, we ran across a herd of LHs out in the field. One got interested in what I was doing working in the engine compartment of a self propelled artillery piece and stuck it's nose in. I beeped it's horn, and it walked away. Since then, I've been interested in them. Compared to Western Washington, there's nothing for them to live in, much less gain weight! They had to be pretty hardy animals to live in that environment.

I've read here and there on this site that Longhorns aren't desirable in the market. I've read something about the market wants black cattle. Is there a reason the market wants black cattle? Are there other reasons that the market doesn't like or doesn't want to pay fair market prices for Longhorns?

What are their traits? What are their general personalities like? I've heard that they are desirable to keep coyotes away from the herd. In general, are they as docile as the one who I honked in the field at Ft. Hood, or was that one an anomaly? Are they fairly sociable towards humans, or will I have to watch myself when they are around?

I'm presently looking at some land in Eastern Washington, near the Moses Lake/Ephrata area. It's not too different than the central Texas/Ft. Hood area as far as environment is concerned. It gets into the 100s during summer, and as low as below freezing during winter. How do they do in this kind of extreme?

Mucho thanks in advance!
Allen

They do pay fair market price for longhorns. It's just that they aren;t as desirable as true beef breeds in a feed lot environemnt. Pasture prettys...........

dun

dun":hidenhhr said:
They do pay fair market price for longhorns. It's just that they aren;t as desirable as true beef breeds in a feed lot environemnt. Pasture prettys...........

dun

Okaaaayyyy... Let me rephrase this... Is this a situation like "fair price for a 1990 Chevy truck", or a "fair price for a 1990 truck?" Isn't beef on the hoof only beef on the hoof at the market? I mean, when you go to the local grocery store, you don't see steak priced by breed. Why are is the market treating the cattle like it is? I mean "feed lot" instead of market.

63DH8":2dmaosxz said:
dun":2dmaosxz said:

dun

Okaaaayyyy... Let me rephrase this... Is this a situation like "fair price for a 1990 Chevy truck", or a "fair price for a 1990 truck?" Isn't beef on the hoof only beef on the hoof at the market? I mean, when you go to the local grocery store, you don't see steak priced by breed. Why are is the market treating the cattle like it is? I mean "feed lot" instead of market.

The market for Longhorns is not for meat, but for roping stock. At least the ones around here. From looking at them, I'd say we have deer with more marbling.

john250":3m8ertuy said:
63DH8":3m8ertuy said:
dun":3m8ertuy said:

dun

The market for Longhorns is not for meat, but for roping stock. At least the ones around here. From looking at them, I'd say we have deer with more marbling.

Here in the cowboy capital of the world, that is the very truth...and I, for one, am not pleased about it. If I can help it, I do not sell to ropers. However, if they go thru the auction, there's not much I can do about it.

I've had ropers bring their roping calves to me to make them all better. Ha!

Alice

63DH8":2fjsekuh said:
dun":2fjsekuh said:

dun

It's the ability to turn feed into beef. An animal that doesn;t carry much muscle and or requires a disproportionate amount of feed, wether from poor conversion or time in the feedlot isn;t going to be in high demand.

dun

Alice, I like your attitude! After reading their history, I feel Longhorns have too much proud history to be tossed aside for a bunch of glorified goat ropers to use as playthings! To me, they represent America and Americans in the way they survived and rebounded! Like Americans, they are fairly easy going until they feel their children are threatened. Like Americans, you piss them off, you better not show your face or you'll get stomped into mud!

In the liberal part of Washington State, Texas Longhorns have a reputation for being man killers who will not only hunt down those who piss them off, but will remember those who piss them off and will pick up the hunt years later if you show up later. Sounds like liberal bias from what I read about them here on this site.

63DH8, what is your objective? Are you trying to make a living raising cattle? If so then Longhorns are not the cattle you want. Go with beef cattle. Are you trying to keep you tax exemption on your property? Get Longhorns. If you want to work your @ss off, get dairy cattle. If you want yard art.... get Longhorns.

It's really hard to make "real" money with Longhorns unless you have a great breeding program.

63DH8":3k0cd5mn said:
Alice, I like your attitude! After reading their history, I feel Longhorns have too much proud history to be tossed aside for a bunch of glorified goat ropers to use as playthings! To me, they represent America and Americans in the way they survived and rebounded! Like Americans, they are fairly easy going until they feel their children are threatened. Like Americans, you be nice them off, you better not show your face or you'll get stomped into mud!

In the liberal part of Washington State, Texas Longhorns have a reputation for being man killers who will not only hunt down those who be nice them off, but will remember those who be nice them off and will pick up the hunt years later if you show up later. Sounds like liberal bias from what I read about them here on this site.

Well, thank you! Not everybody likes my attitude, let me assure you. ;-)

Alice

LonghornRanch":3mllwkay said:
63DH8, what is your objective? Are trying to make a living raising cattle? If so then Longhorns are not the cattle you want. Go with beef cattle. Are you trying to keep you tax exemption on your property? Get Longhorns. If you want to work you @ss off, get dairy cattle. If you want yard art.... get Longhorns.

It's really hard to make "real" money with Longhorns unless you have a great breeding program.

There's no way I'll ever get milk critters ever again! It ain't happening no way! Been there, done that! I don't care if I can get a million bucks for an ounce of rat milk, I'm not doing it! The tax on argriculture property isn't much in Washington. On 120 acres, it's under $300 a year. I'm not really into lawn art. I'm too practical for that. I don't really need to make a living off cattle because of my veteran's disability pension as well as several investments I have. It'll be partly for money to play with and to make the neighbors question what I'm up to next. ;)

The reason I'm curious about Longhorns is because of the run-in I had in Texas, and because of their history. I haven't really settled for a breed to raise yet.

I'm curious about something I read. I think it isn't something that is particular with Longhorns. Why are black cattle more desirable at the feed lots than other colors?

I'm curious about something I read. I think it isn't something that is particular with Longhorns. Why are black cattle more desirable at the feed lots than other colors?

OK, I'll bite, one word we use to describe it in this area

"Marketing"

in my experence not many longhorns are used for roping!!
correntie are the ropers choice, smaller faster and better over all suited to roping,
also all of the ropers i know (and that is many) take better care of their roping stock that a lot of other folks do! better fed and cared for!
they do not strech them out merely catch them, a lot of the ropers i know will work them for about 6 months or so and then
move on, hiefers they will breed steers go down the road,

as far as asking someone to make them better i do not understand this stament in what way alice? better how?

if you think that cute little 200 # calf you bought at the barn, could not have been part of a ropers stock you are mistaken i know several stock producers who buy those 90# to 100# salebarn calves for their string, only to see those same calves show up at the bard in a few months having grown to big to be roped. once again better cared for than a lot of the other cattle around :D

We raise Longhorns, and yes, I would consider them a beef breed. As others have stated, the mainstream feedlot operations do not care for then because it takes longer to finish a Longhorn and they've got those massive horns. Out in the wide open, the horns aren't much of a problem, but once you get a big pen of them, those horns cause bruising and cuts to other animals.

In my opinion, although Longhorn meat is much leaner, it is just as good as many of the other breeds. However, when the name of the game in the beef industry is to get a calf from birth to the plate in as quick a timeframe as possible, Longhorns don't really fit the bill in that respect.

In general, they are not mean, but like any other breed, there are some that will put the hurt on you, given the chance. Those animals should be hamburger - no need to have cattle with bad temperments.

63DH8":9sib6bs5 said:
dun":9sib6bs5 said:

dun

Feedlot operators need cattle that grow quickly and produce a better cut of meat. All beef is not created equal - and some is not nearly as great as the marketing would lead you to believe it is.

In my mind I would think you would love the longhorn. You are curious enough to want an animal with a personality and you can decide which cow is which without reading a eartag or brand. They are wonderful exciting creatures that are a daily enjoyment. Warpaint spends most of his time at home and at a fellow breeders house just watching the cattle. Just his lawn chair and cooler by his side, oh and a bucket of cookies (range cubes). They all come down and visit and chat show off the younguns and go on about their business. They all know their names and are great conversation pieces. They grow on you quickly. I would rather have a full pasture of them than any other cattle on earth.

A lot of breeders are selling it by the hoof from pasture to freezer lately, you buy it an they have it slaughtered for you so they never meet it and get attachted (like me). I am having some of those problems myself at the moment. The hides can be preserved and sold as well as the entire skull and some people want the entire bone structure if they can get it.

It all depends on what you really want out of them yourself. Visit a few farmers in your area of all breeds and then decide.
Call the TLBAA Texas Longhorn Breeders of America Association at 817-625-6241 and they can give a list of Breeders in your area to visit. I think you will definately love the LONGHORNS as much as we do.

memanpa":w2ayngwb said:
in my experence not many longhorns are used for roping!!
correntie are the ropers choice, smaller faster and better over all suited to roping,
also all of the ropers i know (and that is many) take better care of their roping stock that a lot of other folks do! better fed and cared for!
they do not strech them out merely catch them, a lot of the ropers i know will work them for about 6 months or so and then
move on, hiefers they will breed steers go down the road,

as far as asking someone to make them better i do not understand this stament in what way alice? better how?

if you think that cute little 200 # calf you bought at the barn, could not have been part of a ropers stock you are mistaken i know several stock producers who buy those 90# to 100# salebarn calves for their string, only to see those same calves show up at the bard in a few months having grown to big to be roped. once again better cared for than a lot of the other cattle around :D
Thank you for making that point. There are some ropers who are appalling in their treatment of their roping stock, but I have found that as the exception, not the rule. I believe you will find that in any vocation. They are an investment and we treat them as such.
We buy our own roping weanlings and and we keep them for about a year. They are around 900 to 1100 lbs when we sell them. Of course we quit roping them at about 700 lbs. They are all healthy, beautiful, and we do not stretch them...that is absolutely forbidden. We dally only on two feet and that is only allowed occassionaly. No one falls down, or gets burned or hurt, I would never allow it. Our cattle run hard and last and last because of how we treat them. Sadly though, we do not get a good price when we sell them (avg .65/lb) even though they are in great shape. I love these animals, they are magnificent.

WagaAgeyv":eiwg53g7 said:
In my mind I would think you would love the longhorn. You are curious enough to want an animal with a personality and you can decide which cow is which without reading a eartag or brand. They are wonderful exciting creatures that are a daily enjoyment. Warpaint spends most of his time at home and at a fellow breeders house just watching the cattle. Just his lawn chair and cooler by his side, oh and a bucket of cookies (range cubes). They all come down and visit and chat show off the younguns and go on about their business. They all know their names and are great conversation pieces. They grow on you quickly. I would rather have a full pasture of them than any other cattle on earth.

A lot of breeders are selling it by the hoof from pasture to freezer lately, you buy it an they have it slaughtered for you so they never meet it and get attachted (like me). I am having some of those problems myself at the moment. The hides can be preserved and sold as well as the entire skull and some people want the entire bone structure if they can get it.

It all depends on what you really want out of them yourself. Visit a few farmers in your area of all breeds and then decide.
Call the TLBAA Texas Longhorn Breeders of America Association at 817-625-6241 and they can give a list of Breeders in your area to visit. I think you will definately love the LONGHORNS as much as we do.

WagaAgeyv, from what you say and from what I've read on other sites, Longhorns may be just what I'm looking for. I sense great potential for getting into situations with Longhorns to make the neighbors question my sanity. Where I am living now, people are past questioning my sanity. They take the goings ons around here as the norm for me. I did get a few strange looks when people noticed corn growing in my front yard, but that was shrugged off. The drive to Jiffy Lube with my tractor got them wondering until I pointed out tractors need oil changes too. Riding a Longhorn to the local grocery store should get their juices going again! ;-)

Just kidding! However, I do prefer intelligent (intelligent for critters) animals. I'm fascinated with their ability to adapt and overcome their environment. Sounds like they were designed to survive with the least support. I like low maintenance! :)

You really can't go wrong with them I will be posting a new set of baby pictures on the breeds board under "2 new babies this week".

The brown faced one is our newest born Monday night, September 7, 2006, found her this morning. The lineback was born on Thursday, September 11, 2006. You will have to see them to understand why we love them.

I aquired some longhorns with a property that I bought so i've learned a thing or two about them. They're easy to maintain, a good purebred bull will knock off the longhorn pattern and the only negitive aspect is they wont bring anything at the market.

Latest posts