Longhorn Ques?

Help Support CattleToday:

Howard

Reaction score
I was wondering about raising Texas Longhorn cattle? How do you make your profit considering that they dont bring much at the salebarn? If you just sell registered animals are there enough buyers to make a living or am I outta luck? Could a guy even raise them in Minnesota? Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Howard

Howard,

You aint likely to get rich raising longhorns if that is your goal. But, they are an excellent breed to have.

I raise all registered, have sold a few at breeders sales, sold a few to other breeders at private treaty, and sold meat from ones I've killed. (Big market for lean red meat in my area.)

To answer your question them about raising up north, they survive and live well in all conditions. Very desiease resistant, small calves that grow quickly, and cross well with other breeds.

If they can thrive in Canada during a free range experiment, they would most likely survive and thrive in most areas of Minnesota. International Falls is probably the exception with its impressive winter lows. We have raised Longhorns in the past and currently have 3 mother cows out of that original group. Don't become misled by the outrageous prices paid by "trophy breeders". They play their games and it has nothing to do with raising cattle.

You can raise purebred Longhorns for novelty reasons which includes personal pleasure (pasture art) or to propagate their DNA to retain genetic diversity. They serve a purpose if you can't be around to pamper your cattle. Return in a year and they will have doubled their numbers. They are a fan favorite for people looking to have the farm exemption write-off.

The purebread Longhorn will sell across the scales at about 60% compared to Angus based calves. AngusXLonghorn calves that are spotted will sell at about 70% and AngusXLonghorn calves that are solid black will sell at 80-90% as compared to Angus calves.

Pros: Cow longevity, disease resistant, almost 100% calf crop, very protective mothers, rich milkers, highly efficient

Cons: Low milkers, poor sales, very protective mothers

We use Angus/Brangus bulls since that is what we have readily available with the added benefit of the dominant polling gene. Charolais will put more pounds on and do a better job of giving a more uniform calf crop with the dilution gene. You might want to reference the other Longhorn/Charolais thread for example of their calves.

Longhorn / Brangus cross calf
IMG_0146.JPG

Longhorn / Angus cross calves with typical line-back pattern which is a dead giveaway at the auction of their breeding (notice the pinzgauer crowd cringing)
IMG_0932.JPG

Would like to add for the benefit of several folks on these boards, if your marketing plan is to dump them at the weekly consignment sale then you will not make much money no matter what breed or color cattle you have. Targeting special sales, developing a freezer market, or selling directly to a feedlot in your case that feeds out only longhorns will net you way more money.BUT you have to take the time to make it happen. Some folks don't take the time and then complain about sale barn prices. The only thing you are guaranteed at the sale barn is that they will sell and you will get a check. I agree with Greenjeans that the high dollar cattle are the result of games being played by people who have the money to play with and these prices don't reflect reality. Real good cattle can be had for 1500-4000 range and then there seems to be a huge step up to 5 figure prices and not much in between. There are many people who make good money on all kinds of breeds but you have to have a plan.

Latest posts