Longhorn Breeders?

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
What are your top two or three longhorn ranches? and why?

Not including your own of course.

Top longhorn ranches/programs (outside of the one I work for, which I honestly believe could be in this list):

Bob Moore - one of the most consistant and dominant producers of show stock year in and year out. extremely high quality animals throughout the herd. his bottom end calves would be the top end calves in most other producers' herds. One of the few breeders that combines exceptional bodies and conformation with exceptional horn.

John T. and Betty Baker, Sunrise Ranch - Consistent quality year in and year out. Produces funtional, sound, efficient animals. Animals with his brand perform very well in the show ring, and more importantly as producers. His females are always very feminine and have high quality udders. I believe the best cow in the breed was raised by the Bakers, Sunrise Sweetie. We bout this female at about 9 months old, and through her show career and even moreso her production career has proven to be one of the best longhorn females of all time.

George and Cindy Dennis, HD Cattle Co - Small operation that is more than likey going to be the breeder of atleast one of the World Champions each year. They have some outstanding cows and use bulls that compliment them very well. Like the above two breeders the Dennis' are very consistent producers of well above average animals every year.

Personally, I currently own a heifer from Sunrise Ranch and HD Cattle Co that I am extremely happy with. I have also owned a heifer from Bob Moore and have his genetics in the only cow I personally own. All three of these breeders are very smart in the way they produce and develope animals each year. I would love to be able to go buy a handful of animals from each of their herds.

Ryan

Well, "my" preference for Longhorn breeders are those that have excellent color, horn length, and body (not necessarily in that order) and a well-maintained facility.

The TLBAA Trails and the ITLA Drover have many breeders with lots of photos in their regular publications.

One source for Longhorn listings and ranch listings is http://www.longhornsalepen.com I think there are around 75 ranches on their site with lots of photos.

I also like to see a ranch that has a good website. And, a site with photos not only of their Longhorns but of their infrastructure. This will tell me how well their facility is structured and maintained (which "possibility" implies where their priorities are...??).

Finally, as in ANY advertising, flashy full color large advs, do not necessarily mean "the best"--it merely means they are spending more money on advs. Some high quality breeders have small advs., and/or don't advertise in association journals with large ads. It's always "buyer beware" and know about the quality of stock you are looking for and what a reasonable price is for a given animal you want to buy. If it is all possible, it is a good thing to visit a ranch to see the animals and facility in person.

[/list][/list]

I have seen the sale pen and just about every longhorn web-site imaginable. I am just curious what other people out there like. Knowing that there is alot of advertising going on, and not knowing enough about the breed, I was curious who other breeders respected and why?

There are far to many breeding programs I like to single out 3 or 4 of them.

It really depends,(at least in my mind), where you want your herd to go. A good friend of mine likes the Butler influence, and buys a lot of straight Butler females.

Personally, I like a bigger frame, while still keeping the horn length I'm looking for.

Of course I like Butler-I want my Longhorns to have long horns.

There are many good breeders, it's hard to pick out two or three.

Bob Loomis
Red McCombs
Dr. Frank Anderson
Owen McGill
G & G Longhorns (Ben Gravett)
Brent and Cindy Bolen
Mike Bowman

many others

KANSAS":3eo43ieb said:
Ryan I sent you a pm.

and now I am curious... which ranch do you work for?

Kansas,
I work for Sand Dollar Ranch. you can go to http://www.shopsanddollarranch.com or click the www button at the bottom of each of my posts. I am extremely lucky to get to work at such a great place and have the opportunity to get to work with such fine animals. I like to think that we have some decent horned animals and some of the best bodied longhorns in the industry. You can also go into the Photo Gallery here and look at some pictures of some of our animals.

Ryan

LonghornRanch":1sdiol87 said:
I find it funny that none of the Longhorn guys like "Dickerson" longhorns. (big evil grin)

I dont dislike them. They've done a lot of good for the industry. but i wouldnt put them in the top of the industry. If i were to go buy something from them, it would be the animals they bought from the Tri-W dispersal. Wish I could have gone up and bought a trailer load, or 2, when they sold everything. Tri-W had some amazing animals.

Ryan

p.s. Did you actually mean Dickenson? or is this Dickerson breeder someone i havent heard of?

LonghornRanch":ns3i9zap said:
I find it funny that none of the Longhorn guys like "Dickerson" longhorns. (big evil grin)

I don't understand. Nor the evil grin for that matter.
I haven't seen where anybody said they didn't like anybody's program, Dickerson's or any other.

warpaint":1uj2hrlm said:
I don't understand. Nor the evil grin for that matter.

I didnt really understand it either.

LonghornRanch,
Do you not like Dickenson or Dickerson? If so, care to share why?

Ryan

Oops! It's Dickenson. I have meet some people with strong opinions about dealing with Dickenson. I think it revolves around envy myself. I personally like them, and have done biz with them.

LonghornRanch":miy3xedm said:
Oops! It's Dickenson. I have meet some people with strong opinions about dealing with Dickenson. I think it revolves around envy myself. I personally like them, and have done biz with them.

I have also noticed individuals with strong opinions with them. Personally, I've never dealt with them. I have not had any bad experiences with them, so i would do business with them. I would like to see some of their Senator offspring, and the Tri-W animals, outside of that their animals dont really do a whole lot for me, personally.

Ryan

I know Darol Dickenson but have not bought any cattle from him personally. I do have a big Texas Ranger bred cow that has his paint brush D brand on her and a couple more cows that came out of his program. I admire and respect what Darol has done for the Longhorn industry, especially what he did with Texas Ranger who happens to be one of my favorite Longhorn bulls (surprise). Probably one of the stigmas with Darol is that he's an ITLA man, of course some Longhorn breeders on here may be members of the ITLA and/or TLBAA as well. I don't have a problem with the ITLA but have never seen the need to dual register my cattle. There is some history there though so that may be the reason that no one actually mentioned him. He's a promoter and a great marketing person. His book is a pretty good read too. Right now, he's in the same mess as some of the TLBAA folks concerning cloning.

It also doesn't take a genius to figure out from dickinson longhorn website that he's a crossbreeder. If your opinion of improving the breed is to add other breed genetics then thats your opinion but i feel different. I see mutts all over TLBAA and ITLA publications and websites. Not all, but some...And I am not accusing anyone on this board, b/c I respect the longhorn breeders here. But all you have to do is look, with an unbias and objective eye, at the animals themselves. It is crystal clear.

It don't take much to write up a certificate.

I have had email correspondence with Darol Dickenson and must say that I find him to be honest and straight to the point. I had inquired about purchasing a young bull for my program. He has some gorgeous animals, and I would be proud to own any one of them.

Please back up your statement with any evidence you may have. If you have any at all!!!!!!!

Kansas

Kansas":d56uo1sq said:
Please back up your statement with any evidence you may have. If you have any at all!!!!!!!

Kansas

THANK YOU!

txstateboy,

What makes you accuse him of crossbreeding? b/c he has been selectively breeding texas longhorn cattle since 1967? has always been one of the most progressive breeders in the industry? do you have any proof that the animals he registers as longhorns arent what he says they are? or are you just looking at some pictures and then saying that it is impossible for texas longhorns to progress or have a particular horn shape? just because he raises longhorns and watusi does not mean he breeds them to each other and registers them as longhorns. you continually accuse other breeders of crossbreeding and registering the animals as longhorns, but have not a single time shown any proof, just speculation and your opinions on programs you've never seen.

Ryan

Latest posts