Longhorn Breeders - Question about Longhorn Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

twodogpointer

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether to register this bull. He was one year old Dec. 28th. I'm keeping some of my current bulls heifer calves so I will need a replacement. I bought this one with his mother. He is out of Lethal Blade who is a son of Lethal Weapon.

Bullet1.jpg

Bullet2.jpg

Thanks

Welcome twodogpointer,

Man, he's got a big head! I'm not experienced enough with longhorns to give you an adequate answer, but we have some longhorn people here: Warpaint, Rustler, Ryan - sorry if I left anyone out. I'm sure they'll be along to give their advice.

cypressfarms":193qr401 said:
Man, he's got a big head!
I was thinkin the same thing. :lol: I'd say he's decent but we've got a few Longhorn breeders and enthusiasts on here that can give you a better answer than I could.

I like his flashy color and I like his horns; but he looks too narrow to me, even for a longhorn. A chipmunk couldn't fit between his front feet in that photo. There is no muscling at all that I can see anywhere. His loin looks lacking, he needs more muscle expression, spring of rib, width, and thickness. IF I am evaluating him as a BEEF animal, I say cut his nuts off and don't register him. IF he is going to be an ornamental Longhorn for folks that just like to have a pretty hide and a big set of horns to look at.....feed him better and by all means register him.

Nice animal. I personally wouldn't keep him as a bull. Lacking in several areas that I like in a herd sire. He has a nice top line but very weak in the hind. I am a fan of Lethal Weapon, but this one comes up short in my opinion.

I do however think he would make an excellent steer. Good color and a very nice set of horns for his age. IMO cut him and register as a steer. Make some fine pasture art!! :cboy:

100_0050.jpg

This is more of what I look for in a bull. This is BT's Heineken Dark. Owned by my buddy Rustler. I've got one of his sons.

He won the Get of Sire class at the Dixie show last weekend.

twodogpointer,
Actually, I like your Lethal Blade bull. He looks to me like he's been out on the pasture in basic range condition. He will fill out some as he matures. Folks on here have to remember that most straight Longhorns are not going to look like alot of the heavier muscled beef breeds even though they are beef breed. Lean beef is one of their highly valued traits. We've got a couple of Lethal Blade heifers and man do they have a set of horns. I don't think I have a picture of either of them but when I get one taken I'll try to remember to post them.

Warpaint, thanks for posting the pic of Heineken. He's a good blend bull, a Whelming King grand son. He really puts some good calves out but in my opinion I'd like to see Heineken have a little more rump as well. I'd also like to see more height on him but I do like his long body, more rib.

Anyway, back to the Lethal Blade bull, I'd probably keep your bull's manhood intact and see how he develops. In my opinon he's worthy of registering and breeding.

I agree with Warpaint. Just not enough there to warrant keeping him as a bull. Your bull makes up too much of your herds genetics to have a questionable bull putting babies on the ground. I think when deciding to use a bull you should have no questions about him.

Also, is he better than most, or all, of your cows? Finding high quality bulls for reasonable prices isnt too hard, so you shouldnt just settle for a bull that you have. JMO

Ryan

Thanks to all for your replies, here is a little more info on him and my operation. I've been raising longhorns for two years now and I haven't seen alot of bulls at his age to be able to draw a comparison. Rustler has been to my farm a couple of times, as a matter of fact I have one of Heinekin's heifers due to calve in the next couple of months. One of his suggestions was to get a bull with a little more horn. I do have some pics of my current bull when he was young and this one is a definite improvement in that department. He has been running on pasture all winter (just grass and hay) with the cows and if I keep him I'll put him on feed. Ryan, I bought he and his mother with the intention of keeping him as a prospective herd sire, I had heard alot of good things about his father and his mother is heavy Butler according to Rustler, he looked at her papers and knows alot more than I do. My cows are pretty good in body and conformation, so I've been told, but lack horn. You guy's have seen alot more than I have and I appreciate your input.

Thanks again

Just think about what your purpose for raising this breed is. Are you into show cattle or functional cattle? When making a comparison of a show Longhorn and a traditional type Longhorn you're basically looking at two different breeds or sub-varieties within a breed. Many of the show bulls that I see would be great to put on a commercial herd but not a on a herd of Longhorns to carry on the general traits of the breed, of course this is my opinion and not necessarily everyone else's but more breeders think this way than you might think. Ryans's bull looks good-no doubt. Heavier built, beefier. Remember, you still need to have an adequate amount of horn on these animals. That doesn't mean that horn is everything but go to a Horn Showcase sale or the Legacy sale and see how many show type cows are in that sale. None. Breeders of show cattle will readily buy up the big, fat cattle with little regard to length of horn. Other breeders want horn on their animals. Your Lethal Blade bull is more the type of bull that I would want to put on my cows because I know how I think they should look. You may have another thought in mind. That's where the breed itself is divided. If you don't use this bull what will you use? What other options do you have as in other bulls do you have or are you going out to buy something else? I still think in comparing your bull to Ryan's bull you're maybe not seeing the whole picture clearly. Your bull looks like he's out on pasture, I'd guess he's on hay-what else? There's a already a big difference when comparing a groomed, well fed animal to one running on the range. Your bull 's going to look much different when he's fed some grain and gets that smooth coat on him as compared to looking thin and rough right now. I know what I'd do if he was mine. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

two dog,
Now I know who you are and yes I remember the bull. Helps me remember why I seem to like him more than some of the other folks. Before you run him off to the sale barn-let's talk.

In the long run, it is your decision. The Butler influence will definately put the horn on em. As Rustler said a lot of show people will go for more body and less horn. I'm trying for a happy medium in my herd. Good luck.

warpaint":m272i5vl said:
In the long run, it is your decision.

twodogpointer,
Exactly, whatever makes you happy.

I do really like the Lethal Blade bull, he is big and has good horn, and his dad (Lethal Weapon)could be one of my all-time favorite bulls. I like your bull's profile, looks good for being out on the range. What really turned me away from him was the picture from head on. I definantly would like to see more heart gerth (a wider stance), and more spring of rib to hold more roughage. What it all comes down to is this: What are you looking for in your cattle? and Will he give you the best possible opportunity to get you there?

Ryan

Ryan":3rajhb69 said:
I do really like the Lethal Blade bull, he is big and has good horn, and his dad (Lethal Weapon)could be one of my all-time favorite bulls. Ryan
No bull of any breed sires all keepers.
This bull looks to have a lot to be desired.

He's a decent lookin' bull who will probably fill out, although if I had the option to keep him or sell and get another i would

1)want more horizontal horn growth and

2) either a)completely solid or b) very speckled/colored

just my opinion though, and my bias towards my yearling bull

whirlwindjack.jpg

TxStateCowboy":3eyatzc9 said:
He's a decent lookin' bull who will probably fill out, although if I had the option to keep him or sell and get another i would

1)want more horizontal horn growth and

2) either a)completely solid or b) very speckled/colored

just my opinion though, and my bias towards my yearling bull

whirlwindjack.jpg

This one I like. That's what's so great about this breed IMO. We all have different tastes, and there is something in the breed for all of us.

TxState Cowboy,
Not a bad looking young bull you have there. He does have a little more sheath than he should have but if you are careful and use him on tight skinned cows you should be ok. I'd say from his looks that he's Peeler (maybe king Ranch) or Phillips breeding. I like both of these lines, they are bigger, beefier type Longhorns but can have a little more loose skin than the other lines.

He's nearly all WR/Yates blood, but has a small bit of phillips way back in his lines. He's a Grandson of WR Whirlwind and his daddy looks exactly like'em.