Long Horns...Hay Ring Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

tbase2000

Reaction score
I have had numerous cows get their long horns caught up in the hay rings. I would get rid of the rings but the cows just toss the hay all over with their horns and waist half of it. I have actually lost two cows now because they straingulated in the damn hay rings. I've got a cow down right now...heart is barely breathing and she looks like she's in a coma because she got choked out....got there too late I guess. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem...? Anyone think this cow will come out of it by the way....? Plan to put her down in the morning...just a light pulse...not showing any signs of life though.

Thanks
Tony

i take it the hay rings have another ring about a foot & a half high that is choking them after they get fast & give up. you might change the design & do away with this ring & make the pipes up & down a little more rugged. then they would have more room to turn their head sideways to get in & out & never choke. a little work but it would be cheaper than losing cows. some rings also have wider slots for head room, calves go through but not cows. good luck

I got lots of cows with big horns. I use a tombstone feeder for feeding them and I've never had a problem. When they were at my dad's he had a normal hay ring and had to cut one out with a hacksaw. Good Luck.

The nighbor has about 35 longhorns rangin from calves to a mature bull with what must be close to a 4 foot horn span. I'm guessing on the length because I stay away from them as much as I can. He's using the heavy plastic pipe type only has a couple of uprights from the middle ring to the top. The cattle don;t seem to have any problems with them.

dun

We've had to saw several cows out because of getting hung up with their horns. Since we have several cows now we decided to stop using the hay rings at all. We unroll the round bales like a jelly roll and everybody can get to the hay to eat. This seems to work the best for us.

also for the cow thats down i would give her some........ flu nix ...i use it on my calfs from the sale barn ..it is a drug for shock makes them relaxe and rest so they can save stregth....just wore out from fighting to get lose

we run longhorns and use hay rings.

We prefer to use this type:
hayfeeder.jpg

but, we do use this type, and cut out every other slanted bar and havent had any trouble with the horns getting caught:
hayring.jpg

We use the Horse type feeders by Applegate Steel ("Tombstone" model) and the one by Tartar Gate. Are heavy duty feeders that weigh between about 150 and 225 lbs. No real problems with them. Occasionally a bull will lift the feeder up on edge when the hay inside gets low so he can get to the remnants of the hay.

Yes, with a new bale sometimes they will "loosen up" the round bale with their horns...some waste but not significant. We just make sure they have eaten all of the un-soiled hay before we put out another bale.

No, I would never buy or use one of those < $100. "cattle type" feeders with longhorns. Too flimsy and all have that ring around the top.

Toss your hay feeders out - go tombstone. Forget plastic - get heavy duty steel - more money - lasts far longer.

Look up - Hi-Hog on the net. They have what I use - I use their bull feeders with 10 foot extensions on each side to make the feeder about 16-18 feet long.

Bez

Plastic! :shock: What a bunch of bull schitzen!

I figure Caustic will say if you use them you are a hobby farmer. :lol:

I figure tombstone is the only way to go - even without horns.

I had some nice steel 20 footers made up - cost about 800 bucks - but they do the trick. They do not break.

Takes a front end loader to move them.

Plastic! Pfaghhhh!

Bez

I have been using Horse Ring Feeders from TSC (Tractor Supply Center) for my Longhorns. The only problem I have had, is when the hay gets low they tend to filp or move the ring over. I figured they were getting their neck pinched when the hay got low. I cut perhaps a 2 to 3 inch section out, bent it down and rewelded it. The end results was like Ryan's ring. The last one I bought, was around $175. It has worked for me.

Ryan. What brand is that first ring pictured?

I dont know the brands of the rings that we use. The ones that we use are red, though, and i've seen them at different feed stores.

Ryan":2smd5hou said:
I dont know the brands of the rings that we use. The ones that we use are red, though, and i've seen them at different feed stores.

Ryan, the ones in the 2 photos on this thread are not Tombstone or Tartar Gate (unless those mfgs do some in unpainted versions). They look like they are medium weight rings. The Applegate Steel and Tartar Gate products are red, blue, and green and they are heavy. The Tombstone ones have a locking pin that connects each section. The Tartar Gate ones are bolted together w/2 bolts each joint.

Bez":2b7aak3w said:
Plastic! :shock: What a bunch of bull schitzen!

I figure Caustic will say if you use them you are a hobby farmer. :lol:

I figure tombstone is the only way to go - even without horns.

I had some nice steel 20 footers made up - cost about 800 bucks - but they do the trick. They do not break.

Takes a front end loader to move them.

Plastic! Pfaghhhh!

Bez

Think bale processor BEZ.. Never could see the sense in them plastic ones.

Just to follow-up on the story...The rings I am using are horse rings...similar to picture 1 but not as low. The cows get caught because they pull the ring when one horn gets snagged backwards(from the inside of the ring out) and the hay tips over on them...embedding one side of the horn in the hay. 3 rings and and expensive mistake later...I've opted to do without the rings.
The cow died by the way.
Thanks for all the input....great website!

Tony

frenchie

I have gone away from using feeders the past few feeds. Processors are too expensive at present - just put the bales out and let them tear them apart - in the end I am quite ready to accept the wasted feed - they bed on it.

No muddy areas around the feeder either.

Bez

Latest posts