Local Southern States Closing

Help Support CattleToday:

I worked at a Southern States in College, they bought out the old Gold Kist coop, when GK decided to be exclusively in the chicken business.

I always thought they had a pretty good business model and offered more useful services than TSC. The ability to have one source spraying, fertilizer, etc was Handy. The one I worked at partnered with a guy that the Massey Ferguson dealership an host of other useful implement lines.

I tell ya what if you go to tractor supply to buy a 3pt implement you better take out a 2nd mortgage... Atleast with the one here.

This sounds like it was a good store, around here you would go broke buying feed at any kind of chain store even if you were only feeding 2 calves and a donkey.

denvermartinfarms":1e6krxrd said:
This sounds like it was a good store, around here you would go broke buying feed at any kind of chain store even if you were only feeding 2 calves and a donkey.

That part of Georgia has a high density of chicken houses and wherever you have chicken houses you usually see high stocking rates on cattle (and high stocking rates on thistle...hahaha). They made good money. That store was a magnet for farmers from a fulcrum out 40 miles. I recall talking to a guy one time that claimed he had 150 brood cows and 8 chicken houses on his 225 acres. Of course he may have been oral scours to avoid helping me with his trace blocks. I remember thinking to myself that was pretty good land utilization. It don't think it hurt the cash register that they had a dozen co-ed's in there in tight wranglers either. It definetly made slinging horse feed and alfalfa square bales for $4.50 an hour a little easier for Redhides. :nod:

There are a lot of SS stores just south of me in WV and MD. Their ads always say "farmer owned since 1923".
I don't know if they are all farmer owned or not. I really like them for their vaccines..lots on hand and not expired. The vaccines at our local TS store are more often than not expired. I refuse to buy expired meds...these cattle aren't cheap anymore...just not worth the risk.

If I'm correct, Southern States was part of the wave of Farm Bureau coops which started in the '20's. I think they just never found someone to merge with to get bigger. Indiana Farm Bureau coops, started at the same time, have merged several times, I think they are currently CENEX.

ALACOWMAN":3qknrdf5 said:
tractor supply, good place to buy trinkets...and 40 dollar wranglers...
I don't care for their " trinkets" as I shy away from made in china but I confess to using some of their 9.79 bags of range cubes

Kingfisher":2s3n99s9 said:
ALACOWMAN":2s3n99s9 said:
tractor supply, good place to buy trinkets...and 40 dollar wranglers...
I don't care for their " trinkets" as I shy away from made in china but I confess to using some of their 9.79 bags of range cubes

its hard to find anything made in the us today anyway