Local Southern States Closing

Help Support CattleToday:

dryfork2

Reaction score
Anyone affected by any southern states stores being closed? Closest one in Warsaw KY. Closes the store part this week, bulk Fertilizer and chemicals only from now on. Had 50 to 80 percent sale store is empty . Go by the one in owenton when go to stockyards so won't be that big change for me. Guys that work there said they were told it wasn't a financial decision but a strategy decision. Shelbyville and Lagrange closing also.

Rural king, tractor supply, orscheln. No bulk feed or Fertilizer from these. Southern states is big on bulk feed and Fertilizer. They sell a lot of bag minerals also.

Ours isn't closed, just out of everything. It's been that way my whole life. Bunch a nice guys work there. I hope it stays open for their sake.

We have tractor supply and Orscheln, neither one are great but can be handy if you need something on a day when others might not be open or if they happen to be handy to stop at. I had no idea any store of that kind sold bulk feed or fertilizer.

denver they will spread it for you and spray for you here if you need them too.. You can also get customer fertilizer and liquid nitrogen etc They even have a cart for you to rent if you need it to spread fertilizer.

Agriculture supply. Not big box like tractor supply (tsc). Was a cooperative back in the day would get small check every year that kept p.eople loyal . Done away with dividend check several years ago.

skyhightree1":1rfof2ab said:
dryfork2":1rfof2ab said:
AG supply out of Richmond VA. Closing some in Kentucky Alabama Georgia.

ag supply of Richmond Va ? Agri Supply isn't in Richmond

I think dryfolk was saying they are an agricultural supply headquartered in Richmond.
Tractor Supply is causing them to tighten things up a bit here. I still rely on S.S. Buy all my supplies, feeds, fert. from them, Not too impressed with T.S. o.k. for misc. items.

fitz

We have 3 locally owned feed stores and a TSC store in out area , I very seldom go to TSC because I believe in supporting the local owners and their prices are as cheap or cheaper than TSC , the locals are struggling because of the herd reductions . At TSC the customer has to load their own feed , the locals load it for you and have a wealth of knowledge if you need advice on feed or chemicals.

fitz":2ru1dswr said:
skyhightree1":2ru1dswr said:
dryfork2":2ru1dswr said:
AG supply out of Richmond VA. Closing some in Kentucky Alabama Georgia.

ag supply of Richmond Va ? Agri Supply isn't in Richmond

I think dryfolk was saying they are an agricultural supply headquartered in Richmond.
Tractor Supply is causing them to tighten things up a bit here. I still rely on S.S. Buy all my supplies, feeds, fert. from them, Not too impressed with T.S. o.k. for misc. items.

fitz

Gotcha, I was saying the agri supply is in petersburg va. I buy a ton of stuff from SS and if it goes under I will cry. I shop at privately owned and chain owned here The chain owned cuts me better breaks though unfortunately. The priately owned can't afford to do it but I still buy stuff there. I do not like TSC and will only go there on a very last resort because the prices are high as S... We are building a TSC store 5 miles from my house which the guy that owns the local farm supply has jacked his prices up soon as he heard they were coming so he could make alot of money basically before they came and probably shut him down.

They closed all 8 stores in north Alabama. The store I used was always busy. I was told they were moving to areas with less competition with more growth potential.
I have had them spray, spread fertilizer and basic slag for years. I also bought our bulk feed there. Did not know they were closing until I went to get a ton of feed.
I talked to to the close down crew and the guys said all the feed bins, scaled and such were staying. Said it would be sold to another Ag business.

skyhightree1":3qx05fd0 said:
Gotcha, I was saying the agri supply is in petersburg va. I buy a ton of stuff from SS and if it goes under I will cry. I shop at privately owned and chain owned here The chain owned cuts me better breaks though unfortunately. The priately owned can't afford to do it but I still buy stuff there. I do not like TSC and will only go there on a very last resort because the prices are high as S... We are building a TSC store 5 miles from my house which the guy that owns the local farm supply has jacked his prices up soon as he heard they were coming so he could make alot of money basically before they came and probably shut him down.

They're building a TSC about 15 miles from us. In a town that already has an Atwoods (similar to TSC, bigger stores and generally a little better prices, as far as I can tell), a co-op, and a good sized locally owned feed, seed and hardware store. Seems hard to believe that all of those can survive in the same relatively small town. But then again not very long ago there was a grain elevator that sold feed, seed, fertilizer, vet supplies and hardware in every little town around here. Most of those are gone now - even from some of the bigger towns. I'm sure that means that most of this county and much of some neighboring ones go there to buy what they need, but I still have to wonder if that's enough...