Llamas

Help Support CattleToday:

Talltinter

Reaction score
Well our ranch is going along quite well. House is almost complete, living in the barn until house is finished.

I have been working on the cross fencing the past week. My wife comes home Saturday informing me we are now proud owners of a Llama.

Yesterday, Father'sDay, I spent building a pen and outdoor area for our new Llama.

Wife came home late afternoon yesterday with the Llama. She is pregnant and expecting within a month.

Yesterday she did quite well. She walked with my wife. She allowed me to hand feed her and she followed me around. This morning I fed her and she seemed normal.

This afternoon she was moody. Did not allow me to get close to her. She moans a fair amount. I checked her back side and it looks normal.

This evening still moody, not allowing either of us to get close to her. She has eaten throughout the day, but less than yesterday.

Any one have any experience with Llamas?

:lol: LLamas hate to be alone- they need another llama, a goat, calf, pony, sheep or compatable horse. She may be ok after she has her cria( llama baby). Never feed llamas pelleted
feed as they choke on pellets very easily. Grass, grass hay,
and a non pelleted commercial llam feed is best. Also never use
a dark mineral block- the llamas do not metabolize some minerals and they can get toxic and die. Just use a plain white
block. Also llamas get a worm from deer that causes paralisis.
Once a month worm with an ivermectin product( check with
your vet for dosage). . Also the llama needs to be clipped
in the summer as they overheat really easily. :shock:
They like a sandy spot to roll in as well as a muddy spot
to cool their feet in! Hope this helps! ;-)

Thank you for your reply.

I know she is a herding animal and she needs others around her. If she produces a female, we will be purchasing a male. If she produces a male, we will trade with the couple my wife purchased from.

She does not seem as moody this morning as yesterday. She did allow me to hand feed her.

She and the dogs now have an understanding. It only took one spit and kick. I thought it was pretty funny to watch.

The family who my wife purchased her said not to clip her until she delivers.

I will lay some pink sand I have left over from burying water lines to the new house.

One thing she does enjoy doing is standing in her water bucket. I took a pale and placed it higher so she has fresh water.

Talltinter":16vr8dyc said:
Wife came home late afternoon yesterday with the Llama. She is pregnant and expecting within a month.

Yesterday she did quite well. She allowed me to hand feed her and she followed me around. This morning I fed her and she seemed normal.

This afternoon she was moody. Did not allow me to get close to her. She moans a fair amount. I checked her back side and it looks normal.

This evening still moody, not allowing either of us to get close to her. She has eaten throughout the day, but less than yesterday.

I haven't figured out if your talking about your wife or the llama! :oops: Just kidding, thats very exciting about your new barnyard friend ;-)

We were at the sale barn last Saturdat and there was a llama for sale there. I think they ended up getting 100.00 for it. I couldn't tell if it was male of female it was so hairy. My husband was chomping at the bit wanting it. I told him we didn't need anything else to feed, and llamas spit! It was black and it needed shaving bad. Owners said it was tame and one of the guys in the ring actually rode on it.

MikeC":25e50lbe said:
I wouldn't mind having a Llama to carry my golf clubs and beer.

Mike - You're a golfer ? In Alabama ? I keep seeing all these ads for golf in Alabama - maybe we need to have a golf outing - in conjunction with Crowder's Fall Get-together.

Bullbuyer":1nrbnevx said:
MikeC":1nrbnevx said:
I wouldn't mind having a Llama to carry my golf clubs and beer.

Mike - You're a golfer ? In Alabama ? I keep seeing all these ads for golf in Alabama - maybe we need to have a golf outing - in conjunction with Crowder's Fall Get-together.

Don't play as much as I used too. Maybe we could have the "Gitotgether" here and we could take the "Robert Trent Jones Trail" in.

Besides, we need to get Crowder out of them "Hills" once in a while.

my mama has a few llama's and just had a cria----boy that thing was one ugly thing in the begining but now it is really cute. They love to chase the horses and the horses really run fast when they are behind them!! Don't know much about them but they normally don't spit unless they are feeling intimadated (sp?) or they are mating and trying to impress the girl....Glad that don't happen for humans :lol: Oh well, Good luck with it and have fun!!!

;-)

Is the llama/alpace busines like the ostrich/emu business,....breeders selling to each other? I've heard of llamas being used as caddies and pack animals and being used for their wool. Do you eat them? What else are they good for?

Update

She is relaxing more, able to hand feed her and we walk around together. Her back side and teats are swelling some. From what I have read, pprobably looking at two weeks. She is getting used to the dogs. Now the cows are back on my side of the street. So far so good.

Llamas here are mainly used to herd goats.

I am hoping she makes a great lawn mower.

Latest posts