shearing llamas

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky

Reaction score
I know this isnt a cattle question but it relates to the llamas I bought to guard in my cattle pastures. Has anyone had experience with shearing their winter coats? Do you use sheep shears? How do you hold the llamas while you are shearing them (they arent all real gentle)? Do you recommend to shear them? As you can tell, I know nothing about this process. Also, can you use the ivomec type medicine for worms and parasites on the llamas----thanks in advance

One of the worst whippings I've had in a while was from a medium sized (300 lb) male llama we sheared last year. We snubbed him off to a tree for a while, then finally put him in the squeeze chute. We just used the sheep clippers with a high comb (left about 1/4 inch of fleece). Need to do 3 this year but I'm putting it off. We use Ivomec sheep drench on the llamas for worming, spring and fall.

Thank you very much Bwranch. I will get the sheep ivomec. I sure dont look forward to the shearing, now that you have enlightened me----lol. Thanks again

My parents have llamas and yes they are sheared just like a sheep. The person who helps them has a special chute for them. The fleece is all supposed to come off in one piece. They get a little riled when you're doing them so be careful they don't spit in your eye. ;-)