llama vs cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

suscofa

Reaction score
I bought 4 beautiful Angus cross cows. Two due to calve any day and two with calves on the ground. I brought them home and my llama chased them out of the field. The fence is down. I can't find them anywhere. Heck of a first post.

I would find them yesterday if you know what I mean also call your local sherrifs to check for any calls of loose cattle or drive to some near by homes and ask if they seen your bunch thats not the best thing to loose cows with small calves or cows due to calf Good Luck! hopefully you got them back on your property

suscofa":259rvsc3 said:
I bought 4 beautiful Angus cross cows. Two due to calve any day and two with calves on the ground. I brought them home and my llama chased them out of the field. The fence is down. I can't find them anywhere. Heck of a first post.

The first thing is you never bring new animals into where a Llama has been living there are very territorial that is why people like them as coyote and dog protectors of calves.You must always bring the llama in afterwards so it knows what belongs there.Key to having a llama is to be smarter than they are; it can be quite a tricky thing they are very odd creatures.

I would be out scouting for your cows call the neighbors etc. and hope they haven't gotten hit by a vehicle yet.It doesn't sound good hope you find them and there new little ones.

I have called all the neighbors. I feel foolish. I can't believe that the llama [which was bought to keep coyote out] would be the thing to cause me the most problems. Hopefully tomorrow the cows will be in the pasture and the llama will be on a llama farm somewhere.

I don;t know about the llama farm, but you need to get that thing out of wherever you plan on having the cows. Alos if it is an intact male it may, and can kill calves, sometimes cows.

dun

It's not good to have llamas in with your cattle. The worms that cattle can have/pass are very harmful to llamas.

Do you always just turn out your new cattle? We were told by a few old timers that any new ones that we bring home should be kept in a confined area til they get used to us and that our place is 'home'.

CowgirlUpNY":191q2teb said:
It's not good to have llamas in with your cattle. The worms that cattle can have/pass are very harmful to llamas.

Do you always just turn out your new cattle? We were told by a few old timers that any new ones that we bring home should be kept in a confined area til they get used to us and that our place is 'home'.

Well said! Always confine/quarantine new arrivals in a SECURE area (preferable a pipe/rod "corral") and next to other cattle so they can adjust to the new location and get used to sights and smells of the facility and the other animals. New arrivals need to identify where their NEW home is..."regular fences" do not always hold new arrivals... ;-)

The two that haven't calved are on my brothers farm with his cattle. The other two with their babies are at the neighbors near a pond. The llama will be sent to another farmer who has llamas separated. Hopefully all will be together in a day or two. A better fence and some corral time will follow. Thanks for the advise. This is a great forum for green horns like myself. I grew up in the country but had one foot in the city. I am now going the other direction. thanks again.

CowgirlUpNY":85o0jmih said:
We were told by a few old timers that any new ones that we bring home should be kept in a confined area til they get used to us and that our place is 'home'.

That would be right. It's needed for weaned heifers too.

Three to five days usually

Drag them all home and put them in a solid pen with 5 - 6 foot walls. Feed and water them there - for at least a week. When you let them out do not provide any water except in the solid pen - it is now your capture pen as well.

If they do not settle - ship them and take the loss - in the long run you will do better for it.

Good luck.

Bez>

I, another greenhorn, sure could have used this same advice yesterday.

I bought a new calf and she was delivered yesterday. I turned her loose in the pasture figuring she would find the rest of the herd. She has disappeared and I am still looking.

I have learned my lesson. Next new animal gets penned up until its old enough to vote.

I found renegade a llama chasing my cows one time, I mean CHASING them. Tounges hanging out and everything. Lets just say a 300 H&H is bad for llamas :eek: . Come to find out it was the neighbors rentors llama. Kind of an urban legend around here as to what really happened :D

I think the biggest thing to remember about cattle is there are certain things they may have never seen before.. ie: llamas, emus. sheep, etc.etc. Whenever you bring them to a new environment, where they don't know where the boundaries are, it's always best to keep them in a small area first, so they can "see" everything.

I have a pot bellied pig that freaks out new cows.. but once they are used to him, he doesn't bother them anymore. It's just what they are used to seeing, and being in a new environment.

TheBullLady":jq11548n said:
It's just what they are used to seeing, and being in a new environment.
Boy isn't that the truth
my two city raised Labs think it is their job to run up to the pasture fence and run off any nearby cows or calves...
the cows just ignore them (the calves usually run away)
we brought some heifers from our other place and I thought they were gonna have a stroke the first time it happened to them.
Stupid dogs don't bother the cows at all if they are in the pasture with them... I've decided they are still protecting their "yard"

Latest posts