llama vs cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

mdmdogs3":15amh7js said:
Stupid dogs don't bother the cows at all if they are in the pasture with them... I've decided they are still protecting their "yard"

Or it's a game to them. Our Corgi does the same thing with the calves. But you should see here turn inside out when one of the calves sneakes up on her while she's laying by the fence and it snorts at her.

dun

several friends an coworkers have said I should shoot the llama, but it was my ignorance that caused the problem, not the llamas. My brother has all the cows and calves now. My six strand fence will be completed in a few days. I may get the female llama a male companion and a separate area to graze.

suscofa":1t12vshe said:
several friends an coworkers have said I should shoot the llama, but it was my ignorance that caused the problem, not the llamas. My brother has all the cows and calves now. My six strand fence will be completed in a few days. I may get the female llama a male companion and a separate area to graze.

You may want to check out the height of a fence that a llama can jump. We had a neighbor with 2 intact llamas that started patrolling the fence and eying our calves as if they were prey as soon as they were born. Not long after, the llamas levitated over the fence. The cattle herd ran to the next pasture and, fortunately, stopped before running through the next fence. I called the lady who owned the llamas. She said she couldn't come over right then because her cat was having kittens. I told her if she didn't come over immediately, I would shoot the llamas. I used to think llamas were cute, but that day I was boiling mad. When she did show up and finally caught the llamas, she wanted to lead them through the cattle because there was a gate in that direction. I told her to find another gate and to not even think about stepping one foot toward the cattle. They were renters and not inclined to do anything with the fence, which was a good field fence. I installed a strong hot wire on top, extending it upward about 3 feet, and figured I'd shoot the next llama who made it over, and I told her so. I've never shot an animal in my life, but I apparently ran a good bluff. The vet was out the next week and neutered the llamas and they stayed in their pasture.

So, think also about the llamas going over the fence as well as the cattle going through the fence. And, think hard before you get a companion for your llama. That isn't going to solve the problem of the llama looking upon your calves as prey.

That brings back memories...(okay, so it was only three years ago, but that's ancient history when you're a newbie! :lol: ).

I was still in the Navy and coming home late from the ship one night, (about midnight). Saw a couple of animals trot across the road in front of...no, it couldn't be...MY HOUSE! The horse and donkey were having a great time trotting around the neighbors' yards looking for snacks. I pulled in, grabbed a halter, and grabbed the gelding, because he was easy. The donkey followed. Then, I noticed two electric fences were down; one for the horse pen and the one for the cow pasture. The cows were long gone. I still had the horse by the halter and knew I had to be up in four hours to head back to my ship, but, I still saddled that horse. It didn't take that long to find the cows, even in the dark. After riding around for about an hour, I heard some bellowing about a mile down the road and found my girls looking wide eyed and snorty. They were flirting over the fence with a bull in a neighbor's pasture. After a few false starts, I got them headed home. Penned them up in the corral until I could sort things out in daylight. By the time I was finished, it was time to head back to my ship. And that was the last time I depended on electric fencing. Donkey busted through his fence and then kept going to free the cows.

Stupid donkey.

Umm, if you get the female llama a male companion, you might make more llamas!! :shock:

Since she was mean to the cows, maybe your llama isn't very social. :p

dun":10xqdi5g said:
mdmdogs3":10xqdi5g said:
Stupid dogs don't bother the cows at all if they are in the pasture with them... I've decided they are still protecting their "yard"

Or it's a game to them. Our Corgi does the same thing with the calves. But you should see here turn inside out when one of the calves sneakes up on her while she's laying by the fence and it snorts at her.

dun
That is probably their 'job'. I have read that dogs need a job. If you don't train them for one, they will find one themselves. Read of a dog that had the self appointed job of protecting the yard from airplanes. Would start barking at any plane flying over. Did a good job as no plane ever landed in that dog's yard.

I've enjoyed all the comments. I really didn't expect such good commentary. thanks. I will consider all advise.

Latest posts