Livestock Water Opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

I've thought about that and yes there is. I was thinking if I centered them in each paddock now I could split them again with poly and step in posts if I wanted to in the future when I may have time to move cows more frequently. Good idea though.

TennesseeTuxedo":30heggya said:
ddd75":30heggya said:
TennesseeTuxedo":30heggya said:
The newer ones are insulated and in really harsh climates you can add the heater option.

i've seen quite a few brand new ones freeze up solid as a block.

i just don't see how you can keep any heat in with them laying right on top of the ground. a heater is useless for a waterer far away from power.

um, any type water station will freeze in the conditions you put forth.

I'll take my chances with an enclosed tank with a heater and water provided by a line buried 3 feet down.

Our farm in 40 minutes south of Cincinnati and it gets plenty cold. Our waterers do a great job.

funny, my cobett waterers don't freeze at all even in negative temps. my water lines are about 3 - 3.5' deep..

I don't consider a waterer doing a 'great job' when it needs a heater to function.

ddd75":26gcvq98 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":26gcvq98 said:
ddd75":26gcvq98 said:
i've seen quite a few brand new ones freeze up solid as a block.

i just don't see how you can keep any heat in with them laying right on top of the ground. a heater is useless for a waterer far away from power.

um, any type water station will freeze in the conditions you put forth.

I'll take my chances with an enclosed tank with a heater and water provided by a line buried 3 feet down.

Our farm in 40 minutes south of Cincinnati and it gets plenty cold. Our waterers do a great job.

funny, my cobett waterers don't freeze at all even in negative temps. my water lines are about 3 - 3.5' deep..

I don't consider a waterer doing a 'great job' when it needs a heater to function.

I don't have a heater either, and I run Behlens.

well i'm glad they work out good for you. you just said you'll take your chances with a heater but ok :hide:

Dueyb":6mj5jdvo said:
I've thought about that and yes there is. I was thinking if I centered them in each paddock now I could split them again with poly and step in posts if I wanted to in the future when I may have time to move cows more frequently. Good idea though.

10-4. A lot depends on the lay of the land. One of my tanks does about 30 acres, one around 60, and the other waters about 85 acres. I have fields that vary in size from 6-15 acres divided by one strand electric, and divide up by polywire as needed from there.

TennesseeTuxedo":2dc5jim0 said:
Here's a shot of one. Might not even be a Behlen. No heater, hasn't frozen yet.

nice looking cattle

I like the Ritchie waterers best. I like the ease of access by just lifting the lid to get to the shutoff valve instead of having to find a wrench to get inside it like the Behlens. I have found even if they don't freeze inside the balls will freeze to the sides and you have to break them loose so the cattle can push them down.
The main thing with any waterer is the earth tube going down deep as possible. That keeps your supply line from freezing and the water in the tank from freezing down to a certain temperature.
Then it depends on how often they drink from it....as to when it will freeze. They say if the water in the tank does freeze just leave it alone till it thaws. I've had that happen more than once......but it doesn't seem to hurt it.
I think I would like the big rubber tires too but I've never tried them

In my tire tanks (900 gal) I took the suggestion of jedstivers and put 6 one gallon jugs with a cup of salt and half full of water in the tank. I also have a 10ft 2x4 in it. The jugs won't freeze and keeps a small area around it from freezing and the cows will hit the 2x4 as they drink breaking the ice and it keeps the tank open.

Banjo":3p9abcr8 said:
I like the Ritchie waterers best. I like the ease of access by just lifting the lid to get to the shutoff valve instead of having to find a wrench to get inside it like the Behlens. I have found even if they don't freeze inside the balls will freeze to the sides and you have to break them loose so the cattle can push them down.
The main thing with any waterer is the earth tube going down deep as possible. That keeps your supply line from freezing and the water in the tank from freezing down to a certain temperature.
Then it depends on how often they drink from it....as to when it will freeze. They say if the water in the tank does freeze just leave it alone till it thaws. I've had that happen more than once......but it doesn't seem to hurt it.
I think I would like the big rubber tires too but I've never tried them
'

i guess you need good access to fix and thaw them all the time.

:lol2:

i guess you need good access to fix and thaw them all the time. " Quote ddd75 "

Yep.....My waterers are just here and there, cattle may drink out of them often or not for a few days....they have access to a pond and spring also. So the tanks may sit there for days with out any movement.

So, it sounds like yours are the peaches and cream.....do they not freeze if its below zero and nothing is drinking out of it for days? Or do you always have cattle drinking out of it constantly?

Banjo":27nko506 said:

Yep.....My waterers are just here and there, cattle may drink out of them often or not for a few days....they have access to a pond and spring also. So the tanks may sit there for days with out any movement.

So, it sounds like yours are the peaches and cream.....do they not freeze if its below zero and nothing is drinking out of it for days? Or do you always have cattle drinking out of it constantly?

I can have negative temps and wind chill for a week.. no animal activity at all, go out in -5 temps first thing in the morning, and I'll have to chip a 1" piece of ice off the very top of the open water bowl. hit one side, then the other.. usually pops right out.. takes about 2 seconds. full fresh water ready.

ddd75":1yhj5mny said:
Banjo":1yhj5mny said:

I can have negative temps and wind chill for a week.. no animal activity at all, go out in -5 temps first thing in the morning, and I'll have to chip a 1" piece of ice off the very top of the open water bowl. hit one side, then the other.. usually pops right out.. takes about 2 seconds. full fresh water ready.

I don't mind learning something new. What kind is it again? Where do you get them and how much? I do have a Behlen that I may replace in the future.

I believe he's talking Cobetts and I agree they are awesome. They are made and sold in Peru, IA which is just South of Des Moines about an hour from me. Great company and people. Prices are about $650 or $850 for two sizes. I visit with lots of producers as part of my job and always ask about Cobetts when I see them installed on a farm. Literally never heard a bad thing about them. They do need to be tamped well when installed or they will push up out of the ground. Typically the problems I've seen is when they are on steep muddy side hill lots. Tamp, let settle and put rock around it and your fine. Also heard one guy had a cow step in it and break valve. That's only one out of a couple hundred I'm aware of and could have been set too low in ground.

ok to kinda sidetrack this just a bit. how do you keep the area around the waterers from getting so dug out from the traffic that the new calfs cant even reach it. I just have plain ole galvanized trough from tsc..200 gallon I think..but the ground around it has made it a tall drink

dieselbeef":238m48xf said:
ok to kinda sidetrack this just a bit. how do you keep the area around the waterers from getting so dug out from the traffic that the new calfs cant even reach it. I just have plain ole galvanized trough from tsc..200 gallon I think..but the ground around it has made it a tall drink

well they don't put the dirt in their pockets and walk off with it . just take the bucket or box blade once every now and then and push it back up there . or could lay a bunch of bags of quikcret around it then cover with dirt and

Latest posts