Livestock Guardians

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a 120 lb Great Pyrenees that is fenced around our house. She doesn't miss anything going on and is not afraid of anything. Where we live we have to have security. She does have some backup if she wants it Saint Bernard's make great watch dogs if raised that way.
CSM

I have bells on my cows. i can't say for sure it works, but there are horses getting eaten by mountain lions only a couple miles away, and on rare occasions I've seen them around here. Lost 1 calf to a 2 legged predator our first year, none ever since.

kenny thomas":lcwe9ppf said:
Longhorn cow with each herd. Keeps the varmits away and pays her feed bill also.

Ditto, except with some brahma in her.
Answers to the name "Little Darlin".

I had 3 Great Pyrenees dogs when I ran sheep. They where great dogs never lost the first lamb to a predater. The last one died about 4 months ago. Might get another one but not sure that I really need one with the cows.

Ok so could someone feel me in as to why longhorn cattle are good guardians? Ive never heard of this before, and am curious as to the reason. Im sure this is a dumb question but thanks in advance.

Sd1030":3m4oj4xs said:
Ok so could someone feel me in as to why longhorn cattle are good guardians? Ive never heard of this before, and am curious as to the reason. Im sure this is a dumb question but thanks in advance.

I guess nature just bred it in them. There like a slot machine, they'll put their back to wall and take all comers.

Bigfoot":365vhy6n said:
Sd1030":365vhy6n said:

I guess nature just bred it in them. There like a slot machine, they'll put their back to wall and take all comers.

The tigers do a real good job as well.

I think a horned Saler cow could be darned protective as well.. neighbor had no wolf predation problems when he ran over 50% Saler in the mommas.. He went angus now and loses about 10-15 a year last I heard... I think he may be getting Saler blood in there again.. that's a lot of loss.

Sky we used a donkey for years for sheep and goats. They can be very effective. Buy a young just weaned one , it needs to be a Jenny, use only one, never allow her to breed. Run her only with what she guards. Never with other donkeys or horses.
My uncle uses the great Pyrenees dogs. They are kept and feed in the pasture with sheep from puppies. If you let come up to the house. They can get were they want to just hang around the house. They are EXTREMELY effective. To me their biggest negative (and it's a big one to me) you won't have anything in that pasture except those dogs and what their guarding. They will run off deer and Turkey completely. Ive personally seen 2 of them kill a mature 8 point buck. If that's not a problem for you . use em, they work.

To each his own. I prefer 2 donkeys in the herd. and have had as many a 5 running with the cows. these 2 will always be together and they will be the proximity of the cows. I have 2 jacks now and a gelded welch horse.

Neighbor had 2 Pyrenees dogs with his sheep. They did a decent job of protecting the sheep when there was two of them and both dogs were still able bodied. After one dog died and the other got old, not so much. Pyrenees seem to have a shorter life span than the average dog. And they eat tons of dog food.

Neighbor has a llama now. I think the llama will live forever because he is totally worthless :roll:

M44s were the absolute best predator control IMO. Don't think anyone is allowed to use them anymore thanks to ..... well I won't go there because the thread would get locked :mad: Had a couple SDGF&P state trappers here who were very successful with M44s. I even went to a class and got licensed to put them out myself but never followed through and actually did it.

Today's state trappers put out conventional steel traps and fly when they can. Sure have to pick the days to fly, and due to budget cuts there is now only one plane that covers the entire state.

We had a state trapper using m44s up until about 7 years ago. They are quite effective and They don't get deer like fence snares do.

Thanks for all imputs.. Fm I was wondering about the exact thing you stated thanks for the imput. I talked to some that bought fully grown donkeys and they would kill their calves.

Latest posts