Livestock Guardians

Help Support CattleToday:

fenceman":jv5i6euq said:
We had a state trapper using m44s up until about 7 years ago. They are quite effective and They don't get deer like fence snares do.

Both M44s and snares can have unintended consequences. One of the most successful places to put M44s is at or near a site with a long time established bone pile. We got one of my own curious 400lb calves with an M44 once :oops: After that, the trapper avoided putting the M44 in a pasture with cattle in it. Never had a M44 problem around sheep.

We used them to protect sheep. The key to them not killing lambs, is to play on the maternal instinct. Use a Jenny and don't ever let her have her own baby and she adopts the flock.

When you play on the donkeys natural aggression, they will often turn on something you don't want them to.
John SD":22f62t27 said:
fenceman":22f62t27 said:
We had a state trapper using m44s up until about 7 years ago. They are quite effective and They don't get deer like fence snares do.

Both M44s and snares can have unintended consequences. One of the most successful places to put M44s is at or near a site with a long time established bone pile. We got one of my own curious 400lb calves with an M44 once :oops: After that, the trapper avoided putting the M44 in a pasture with cattle in it. Never had a M44 problem around sheep.

Do you put the m44 In a hole below below ground level. Never had a cows pull one

I've got a Pyrenees. This is my third one. They do a great job. Fenceman my first one came up one day with a deer fawn. It looked freshly killed but can't be sure she did it. I know the things can run like a greyhound. If you ever have one clipped real close they look like a greyhound too. I don't confine mine to the pasture but let them come up for some attention etc. They love kids. But go around the pasture every afternoon making a low "woof" about every ten seconds and marking their territory about every 50 feet. Don't plan to ever be without one.

TexasBred":i6jzefqt said:
I've got a Pyrenees. This is my third one. They do a great job. Fenceman my first one came up one day with a deer fawn. It looked freshly killed but can't be sure she did it. I know the things can run like a greyhound. If you ever have one clipped real close they look like a greyhound too. I don't confine mine to the pasture but let them come up for some attention etc. They love kids. But go around the pasture every afternoon making a low "woof" about every ten seconds and marking their territory about every 50 feet. Don't plan to ever be without one.

There is no doubt, they are the ultimate guardians. They protect by instinct. Like a bird dog puppy pointing grasshoppers. And yes great with kids

I have an old big gelding that I have had many years. Cant bring myself to shoot him cause he serve me well for many years as a good cow pony. He was and still is hell on dogs and yotes. He ran with my cattle for years and was quite the watch dog.

I got a Shorthorn cow that will run any predators except the wolf pack. I knew someone lost one of his best bucking bull to a wolf pack last winter, and lost few longhorn calves as well and two longhorn cows had their udders eaten away by these wolves. Unfortunately this area holds largest wolf packs, each pack have more than 6 adults.

fenceman":ustbiatb said:
We used them to protect sheep. The key to them not killing lambs, is to play on the maternal instinct. Use a Jenny and don't ever let her have her own baby and she adopts the flock.

When you play on the donkeys natural aggression, they will often turn on something you don't want them to.
John SD":ustbiatb said:
fenceman":ustbiatb said:

Do you put the m44 In a hole below below ground level. Never had a cows pull one

I really don't remember for sure, but I don't think so. Trapper always liked to leave the scene as "natural" as possible. In winter, snow and ice could interfere with the operation of the M44. He liked to put the M44 in areas that would likely blow clear.

Latest posts