Livestock commission co

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
On the market report there are commercials from the OKC stockyards and they encourage sellers and buyers to contact one of thier livestock commission companies

What does a livestock commission co do ?
I understand order buying but how do they rep cattle when they are being sold at auction ?

At OKC there are something like 8 different commission co's that sell there. Sellers consign their cattle to the commission co of their choice. The commission co feeds sorts handles and represents your cattle in the ring and then they pay you. They rent a group of pens from the stockyard guess it's similar to a condo. The way I understand Each commission co gets to sell x number of groups in each turn in the rotation and keep rotating until all are sold.

Myself and many others sell thru Ben Hale at Western Commission. Think it would be worth your time to go by there on Monday, meet Ben and learn how they operate. They have always done a great job with my cattle.

I've noticed Ben Hale name come up a lot at Apache and recently he is involved at Comanche.

That makes since
I thought OKC you just unloaded your cattle and they sold them like other sale barns.

PaPaw recommended Western commission to me when I first started taking my calves up there and I have been pleased but they have been the only ones I have used so I can't say much about the others. I text Ben the details of my calves and when I watch on the internet, he tells the auctioneer exactly what I have told him as far as weaning and shots and they usually announce my name to go along with these details.

I took 19 up Saturday and Ben split them into four groups to get the best price. My average calves brought only a couple pennies a pound more than their weight average but I had my best result ever on shrinkage. I weighed them individually on Friday morning and the total of all was 12,302 lbs. The weight that I was paid for on Monday was 12,258. That alone makes the long trip worth it.

If you buy at OKC , it is also best to use a com. co. ,you do not have to, but if you don't you will have to go to each com. co. and pay them for cattle you bought . Then someone that works on the load out will have to go to each one and find your cattle. if you use a com. co. they will charge you a small fee per head to care for you cattle ( I think its a couple bucks per head but I'm not for sure) then you go to that one com. co. write them one check and they will have all you bought in there pens for you, much more simple. This all sounds complicated but this sale works great they move a bunch of cattle through. They use 2 auctioneers switch about every hour. If you never been to this sale and you are close by on sale day its worth your time to stop in and check it out. At least I think it is some one else may say it was a waste of time. Look in the picture you can see one of the com. co. signs each one has a set of pens, like this.

That seems a little odd. As a buyer if i spend my money at your barn i would expect my cattle to be in a pen controlled by the sale. I dont need a middle man charging rent for "his pen".

Same with the grouping deal. That's the barns job to get the highest amount. That is what their commission is for. There you have to pay another commission to group your cattle and you still pay the barn a commission?

I'm sure it's not as bad as it sounds but it sounds pretty shady. Seems like there are a lot of hands before and after the sale taking a dollar or two for what the sale should be doing any ways.

Brute it is almost like several sales in one place, kind of hard to explain. You don't have to use a com. co. to buy, but it makes it a lot ease.

Brute 23 said:
Same with the grouping deal. That's the barns job to get the highest amount. That is what their commission is for. There you have to pay another commission to group your cattle and you still pay the barn a commission?

No one fee to sale, all com. co. the same and its not higher than most of your sales , maybe even cheaper than some. not a percentage its a set fee per head and I do not remember what it is. I like it for selling groups but not for singles or several unmatched.

BRYANT":14td1lqt said:
Brute 23":14td1lqt said:

No one fee to sale, all com. co. the same and its not higher than most of your sales , maybe even cheaper than some. not a percentage its a set fee per head and I do not remember what it is. I like it for selling groups but not for singles or several unmatched.

Got ya. Guess it's not that bad then. Sounds more like the commissions are co-oped on the barn.

As Bryant is trying to say, the barn (The stockyards company) has nothing to do with the sale. They just provide a service of providing facilities and getting the cattle sold. All transactions are through the commission company.

My cost to sale runs a little less than $27 a head all in. Includes commission, fees to the yard, auction, insurance, check off plan and your feed. Doesn't mater their weight or what they bring. I don't think they charge you any different if you take them in on Sat. or Sun or even on Monday morning early as some do, the feed bill is the same. The cost was a real bargain with calves were bringing $1500 a piece. Now not so much but still much cheaper than a regular barn that charges 3 1/2% or so like most do around here.

I don't think you can go wrong with any commission company down there, we always used National when we sold hogs there twenty some years ago.

Dad has told about hauling hogs down to the city some time in the late 50's early 60's ??. There wasn't any sale ring the buyers came around and bought out of the pens. Grandpa told about riding the train down with a load of cattle when he was a young man.

jedstivers":1yoxmd37 said:
I sell through Ben. He does a great job. We had another thread describing the sale there. I don't know if it's still up or for deleated.

A big full time cattle person from TX...well you know the rest of the story.

True Grit Farms":1zfowaq0 said:
jedstivers":1zfowaq0 said:
I sell through Ben. He does a great job. We had another thread describing the sale there. I don't know if it's still up or for deleated.

A big full time cattle person from TX...well you know the rest of the story.
A professional that does it full time no doubt.
Well, the rest of us can dream and aspire......

jedstivers":ytlfqxyw said:
I believe it was the thread having a title about Paris sales, or something like that. As for the OKC info in the thread, it was very good, detailed information.

Latest posts