Little help with my Savage Sporter .22

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
After reading the post on the .270 and the manufacture date, I got to thinking about a .22 rifle my grandfather left me about 35 yrs ago. It's a Savage Sporter, the last patten date on the barrel is Nov, of 1917. But I'm pretty sure that's not the manufacture date. I tried several different googles with the serial number and even tried to call Savage Arms, they want a "detailed letter" to a non Savage employee. So at this point it's not that important, it's just Grandpas gun he used to squirrel hunt with and tag many a crow. It's a great shooting gun, I take it out a few times a year. Any help on finding a web site that may help me find the manufacture year? If it helps the serial number is 53530.

Thanks,
Alan

Wish I could help but the blue book I have does not list it as a sporter. Does it have a model number? Seems the Savage info is not good in the book either. Sorry

I collected Remington Nylon 22's in years past and recall that pre 1964 models of .22 caliber rifles weren't required to have serial numbers. I suspect then that any .22 rifle with a serial number is likely to date post 1964. Just my :2cents: though.

With the help of a very knowledgable friend on these boards I have been able to determine this rifle is a model 23A, not the 23AA. The difference between the two is the 5 round clip. The clip in the rifle my grandfather left me has the knob on the bottom of it to aid in removal if the clip. So, with help of another it was determined this model was made between 1924 and 1945 and 88,000 were made. But I would like to,see if I can hone things done a bit more. I really don't care about the value since it will be with me until I pass and then to one of my sons (who must love guns, and the 2nd amendment). Here is a link to a forum I found that shows the Savage Sporter 23A with the same clip that the rifle has, it is identical to my rifle. The serial number is on the barrel below the bolt, on my rifle the number is 53530 and the last patent date is Nov 4, 1917

Can anyone help me further my search, it sounds like Savage can not help, I have called. Here's the link;

Thanks, Alan
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=83749

OK, in the book it shows the 23A being made from 1923-1933 and the 23AA being from 1933 to 1942. It says the 23AA is an updated version of the 23A and in included in the 88,000 number made. Still no info on the serial numbers. Value is from $90 to $250 according to condition but I know the value to you is the memories.

Latest posts