List of Defenders

Help Support CattleToday:

That was a bad war Boogie something like 6000 boys left East Texas and only 600 returned, The only Texas regiment that served the entire campaign under Lee was the Woodville Rifles . My Great Great grandfather was one.
Looking back through history it is a wonder some of us are here.

Caustic Burno":7ecnr89b said:
That was a bad war Boogie something like 6000 boys left East Texas and only 600 returned, The only Texas regiment that served the entire campaign under Lee was the Woodville Rifles . My Great Great grandfather was one.
That's very interesting history. I've studied it a lot but not near as much as you.
What you said about some of us being here is just the opposite for me. My grandmothers family would not have been here if a coonass in her family had not killed someone in New Orleans an then ran off up here. Then the same grandmother would not have married my grandfather if her first husband had not been killed on Iwo.

jedstivers":149s2xjs said:
Caustic Burno":149s2xjs said:
That's very interesting history. I've studied it a lot but not near as much as you.
What you said about some of us being here is just the opposite for me. My grandmothers family would not have been here if a coonass in her family had not killed someone in New Orleans an then ran off up here. Then the same grandmother would not have married my grandfather if her first husband had not been killed on Iwo.

Iwo was bad as well something like 25,000 casualities. My uncle made beach landing Iwo, Okinawa and Guam or Guadalcanal I have a lot of the pic's he took. I used to alway's kid him as he was named William Barret Travis Sturrock after the commander of the Alamo. I alway's told him that would have made me nervous it didn't work out so well for him. I have his battles recorded in the family book.
My Daughter has dad's navy dress white's, Uncles marine dress Blues in a glass case it is pretty cool.

jedstivers":13x7wgh0 said:
I have all my Granddaddys uniforms, I would like to do a glass case for his dress ones. He was in Europe. Started in N Africa, ended in Germany and was on a boat to Japan in August.

Dad started out in the North Africa as well.
I would have rather fought the German's than the Jap's.
Jap officer's beheaded more prisoners than we killed with both A bomb's.
They had contest and the result's were published in thier local papers.
The Chinese took the brunt of this.
On Chichi Jima due to lack of supplies the Jap's were eating American POW's.
This not the only time either as the Jap soldier was expected to live off the land.

Part of the War Crimes by the Empire of Japan.

Cannibalism

Many written reports and testimonies collected by the Australian War Crimes Section of the Tokyo tribunal, and investigated by prosecutor William Webb (the future Judge-in-Chief), indicate that Japanese personnel in many parts of Asia and the Pacific committed acts of cannibalism against Allied prisoners of war. In many cases this was inspired by ever-increasing Allied attacks on Japanese supply lines, and the death and illness of Japanese personnel as a result of hunger. However, according to historian Yuki Tanaka: "cannibalism was often a systematic activity conducted by whole squads and under the command of officers".[67] This frequently involved murder for the purpose of securing bodies. For example, an Indian POW, Havildar Changdi Ram, testified that: "[on November 12, 1944] the Kempeitai beheaded [an Allied] pilot. I saw this from behind a tree and watched some of the Japanese cut flesh from his arms, legs, hips, buttocks and carry it off to their quarters... They cut it [into] small pieces and fried it."[68]

In some cases, flesh was cut from living people: another Indian POW, Lance Naik Hatam Ali (later a citizen of Pakistan), testified that in New Guinea:
the Japanese started selecting prisoners and every day one prisoner was taken out and killed and eaten by the soldiers. I personally saw this happen and about 100 prisoners were eaten at this place by the Japanese. The remainder of us were taken to another spot 50 miles [80 km] away where 10 prisoners died of sickness. At this place, the Japanese again started selecting prisoners to eat. Those selected were taken to a hut where their flesh was cut from their bodies while they were alive and they were thrown into a ditch where they later died.[69]
Perhaps the most senior officer convicted of cannibalism was Lt Gen. Yoshio Tachibana (立花芳夫,Tachibana Yoshio), who with 11 other Japanese personnel was tried in August 1946 in relation to the execution of U.S. Navy airmen, and the cannibalism of at least one of them, during August 1944, on Chichi Jima, in the Bonin Islands. The airmen were beheaded on Tachibana's orders. As military and international law did not specifically deal with cannibalism, they were tried for murder and "prevention of honorable burial". Tachibana was sentenced to death, and hanged.[70]

Its amazing all the flags that have flown over Texas. The French, Spanish, Mexican, The Republic of Texas, U.S., and Confederate. No other state in the Union have had that many flags flown on their soil.

Latest posts