liquid cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

thatdoggJake

Reaction score
If I have room for about 20 more head of cattle of my lease. What are some good ideas for liquid cattle that you might of experienced? I want to do something this spring as it looks like I'm going to have the room for it. Novatech made a good point on another topc I posted and I would like to go into it a little further.

"Re: when to mow and how much to mow at one time?
by novatech on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:21 am

upfrombottom is right as far as what the owner wants. Your most important consideration is weed control.Watch your predominant weeds. You want to mow just before they go to seed. You need to clip the top of the grass not mow it down to the ground. Clipping it stimulates fresh growth. The number of times you mow may be determined by how fast the weeds grow. If you are already understocked you certainly do not need to fertilize so that also eliminates the soil test. If you plan on buying more cattle then soil test and fertilize before you buy them.
Weed control and and grass production is, in part, controlled by stocking rate. To many or to few cattle encourage the growth of weeds. Unfortunately the weather will not let us have the perfect stocking rate. My late uncle and mentor taught me that pasture should only be stocked with 75% of the estimated stocking rate.This is with permanent type momma cows. The other 25% should be liquid cattle,those cattle that are bought and sold. The liquid cattle control the extra grass and fatten up while doing it. Liquid cattle can be just about anything from stockers to open cows getting bred or what ever else you think you could make a little extra on."

THanKS!!!!!

Well this is a tough question to answer because there are several options and not all of them involve stocking more cattle

Nova has a good point in setting a smaller stocking rate, but there are literally hundreds of variables that could play into a scenario where clipping and stocking rates are playing a role. First what is the predominant grass species in your pastures? What is the growing season cool or warm for these grasses? How long do you want your grass to last before having to feed in the winter? What is the soil composition and general rainfall amount for your area? All of these factors will play a role in the implementation of clipping and a possible stocker cattle system for your pastures.

Before acquiring any more cattle you need to evaluate the overall quality of your pasture, I noticed in your other post you noted that this pasture was 500 acres, And you said about 80 cows are running on it at this point? Thats 6.25 acres per cow, I suggest contacting your local NRCS or Extension Agent to determine an appropriate stocking rate for your specific area. One of the best solutions after all your investigative work is done is to subdivide pastures especially if you're just turning cattle out right now into a 500 acre pasture. Cattle are like humans, when they see plants they want to eat they will eat them and ignore the less desirable plants. Strip grazing a larger section of land will reduce the waste and make your stockpiled grass last longer, it will be helpful if you establish a rotation plan through these paddocks to maximize regrowth patterns of the predominant species in each paddock.

As for "liquid" cattle there are plenty of options here, after you implement a responsible grazing plan, that accounts for an extra 20 head. I don't know what your level of experience with cattle is but stockers can be pretty finicky and hard to deal with, if you are going to graze stockers I'd suggest getting a good roping horse or two, boning up on your roping skills and learning to pasture doctor, In my experience because stockers are freshly weaned even with a good vaccination program they are somewhat susceptible to sickness and you will need to know how to pasture doctor or have to appropriate facilities to deal with the onset of sickness if it happens. Another option is developing replacement heifers for customers, or young bull prospects for seedstock producers, both of which will require some access to commodity feeds in most cases to properly develop replacements and young bulls

All in all I would say to consult an Extension Agent or NRCS rep to properly develop a plan for your specific area and operation, feel free to ask any more questions, it sounds like you searching for the right information and taking the right steps to develop a good program for your cattle

Don't know if it would work where you are but here several people buy thin cows from the slaughter pen in late winter and put them on the spring flush of grass and sell them in mid May (this will vary according to your area). Takes care of the extra grass and usually the slaughter price is good by sale time.

I would be careful because what appears to be the perfect stocking rate in early spring or early June might just turn out to be way too high a stocking rate in late August or September.

I remember in 2008 thinking in June that it would sure be nice to have a few more cattle to keep up with the grass. Then in late August after the rains suddenly stopped in mid July I was wondering how the heck I was going to feed the ones that I have... Good luck. Jim

SRBeef":1lzgl29o said:
I would be careful because what appears to be the perfect stocking rate in early spring or early June might just turn out to be way too high a stocking rate in late August or September.

I remember in 2008 thinking in June that it would sure be nice to have a few more cattle to keep up with the grass. Then in late August after the rains suddenly stopped in mid July I was wondering how the heck I was going to feed the ones that I have... Good luck. Jim
I guess too many droughts have made me paranoid. We keep the stocking rate low enough that any excess can be baled for winter hay then we stockpile for winter. In late summer we board cattle for vet for a couple of months. We're running (on this farm) about 1 pair per 3.5-4 acres. That's with rotational grazing.

There are several good ideas on here. The point is that with the lower stocking rate it leaves you options. The option you choose may be different at times according to the weather, market, investment funds, etc.
As time goes on and you make improvements, limited as it is lease property, you may find you can increase the stocking rate but still keep the percentage where it should be.
Cross fencing is a good idea. It will give you the ability to have a higher stocking rate or fence an area for stock piled forage, or hay. It will also let you plant seed and keep the cattle out. That being said the problem is permanent fencing is not feasible on a 10 year lease. There is not enough time to justify the expense. I would suggest semi-permanent electric. Your in the fence supply business so you can do the math.
I have no clue as to your knowledge but would strongly advise you to stay within the perimeters set by your knowledge. If you just need the right off well then I'm for hire. :lol2:

I am in the same boat as you as to needing more cattle, but wanting them to stay liquid. I have excess pasture, and excess grass - well below my my capabilities, but I do not want to take on bred heifers as I do not have enough experience calving them, and pairs, cows, and steers are all selling very high right now.

Also, I am always concerned about buying cattle that I dont know anything about, and them getting my herd sick. The last year or so we have not had any illness, and I am reluctant to chance adding some cattle that I know nothing about that could introduce an illness into my herd.

I'm almost to the point of calling a buyer to find me what I want. Anyone have experience with using buyers? What do they generally charge, and do they actually get you what they want, or are they just another hand to pay who just gets you cows and tells you what you want to hear?

Latest posts