Limping calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
We noticed a 3 week calf limping and its leg swollen right above the hoof. He walks on the toe of his hoof.
Neighbor thought it might be foot rot, could this be at such a young age?
Going to talk to our vet in the morning. But does anyone have any thoughts on treatment or cause?

sounds like footrot but examine the foot to see if anything is in it. sounds typical of footrot cases. the earliest ive seen it (so far) is in a 3 month old calf. dont see why it couldnt get in one that young if they are big enough to have something penetrate the foot...

i agree, check the foot for a cut or a rock or a thorn or nail, etc and give him la200 every 72 hours for a few shots, it will probably only take one if it is foot rot. if it is a strained ligament or tendon, it will take some time and the la200 wont help, he will just have to heal himself.

Got the calf up today and it seems to be foot rot, has a sore right in the back in the split between the halves of the hoof. Gave him some LA200, some sulfur boluses and put some external medicine on it. I did not realize that such a young calf could get it.

Think the earliest I've seen it was like 2 months, but not sure why it couldn't be earlier. I would think it's just physics - break the skin & the bacteria gets in - age should not play a role in that process unless I'm missing something.

Latest posts