Limousins

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a breed pimp as I am now raising purebred limousins, I had the chance to do some AI work in a fullblood limi herd here a while back. I did cidr installation and went back for the AI work so I got to get hands on with the cows twice.
I have said myself on here in the past that limousins can be nutts but these cows plus my own have sure changed my mind. I can honestly say that in over a decade of AI work this was the quietest set of cows I've ever bred. They were a real pleasure to work with and it is mostly a put together set that comes from different sources so I feel they are fairly representative of what the breed can do. In my own small herd, it has become standard procedure for me to have the kids do most of the work whenever we do anything with the registered cows as I've gotten to where I trust these cattle to be level headed and I am pretty careful about which cattle I let my family handle.
If the reputation for bad disposition has scared you away from limis, I think it's time to give them another try.

CP I have a friend been raising them for 25 years. His are as gentle as anyone would want cattle. Three of us walked through a pen of young bulls last year to pick a new one for a guy and they were totally docile. Most wanted little more than a scratch behind the ears or on the nuts. lolol

cow pollinater":299qhrdz said:
TennesseeTuxedo":299qhrdz said:
Breed pimp.
I'll go put on my gold chains and purple fedora but I can't type with those big a$$ rings on and I can't find any that fit my stumps anyway.

Yo' be total pimpin right now, daaawwgg...

e479d388a65576c9edaa495db3df5985.jpg

Good to hear.. Our limo bull is really laid back, his calves all seem cool as well.
We picked the most docile bull out of a pen of 3.. put him in the 2 horse trailer, and he just laid down for the ride.. when I got home I backed up to the corral where there was a cow, he got up, stretched, and calmly walked off the trailer

cow pollinater":plflx5hr said:
At the risk of sounding like a breed pimp as I am now raising purebred limousins, I had the chance to do some AI work in a fullblood limi herd here a while back. I did cidr installation and went back for the AI work so I got to get hands on with the cows twice.
I have said myself on here in the past that limousins can be nutts but these cows plus my own have sure changed my mind. I can honestly say that in over a decade of AI work this was the quietest set of cows I've ever bred. They were a real pleasure to work with and it is mostly a put together set that comes from different sources so I feel they are fairly representative of what the breed can do. In my own small herd, it has become standard procedure for me to have the kids do most of the work whenever we do anything with the registered cows as I've gotten to where I trust these cattle to be level headed and I am pretty careful about which cattle I let my family handle.
If the reputation for bad disposition has scared you away from limis, I think it's time to give them another try.
Reds,blacks,or both?

Post Oak":siorqxb3 said:
Reds,blacks,or both?
The fullbloods were red of course. :lol: Mine are all black and a couple of them are high percentage limflex but I'm using red bulls and have my sights set on a fullblood to use this fall. I don't really care if it's black or red but I have a certain type of animal in mind and it seems like it's easier to find a good fit to that type in red. I did start to bid on a black bull online today that was darn sure a limousin even though he was black but his price shot past what I had to offer faster than I could click.

Back in the early part of last summer, I had to replace a bull, and brought in a red Limousin. Some folks thought I was crazy , but he is one of if not the most calm bull I have had. I used him to finish up breeding my Angus cows, and then put him with some mostly BWF fall calving cows. I guess that I will be moving him on soon, as it wasn't my plan to have him very long. Was just thinking tonight, he has been so good to work with, I hate to see him go, but I don't need 2, 2 yr old bulls and 4 yearlings.

Welcome to the limousin club CP. Those folks with the fullbloods appreciate your help. I think we will breeding a few to the same fullblood bull you are this spring.

They'd be alright if they were black, and if there was a market besides the sale barn for them. In Georgia, Limousin is a niche breed. All the bull test, and replacement sales have few to no Limo cattle in them. You'll have a hard time promoting cattle if you can't sell them. IMO

True Grit Farms":25uuw1vw said:
They'd be alright if they were black, and if there was a market besides the sale barn for them. In Georgia, Limousin is a niche breed. All the bull test, and replacement sales have few to no Limo cattle in them. You'll have a hard time promoting cattle if you can't sell them. IMO

Nothing wrong with niche breeds, heck scarcity alone is good for pricing. Guy down the road from me has mini Herefords and if you price em by the pound it's shocking what they bring.

The whole Limo disposition thing was due to a few bad imports. Limousin aren't any worse attitude wise than any other breed. Limos tend to feed well and also cross well with most breeds.
If I was raising them i would try and locate a market for the calves before they are even born in a branded beef program. A high end specialty market for leaner, high quality beef exists and in the local supermarkets they get more for Laura's Lean that CAB-when they can get it.

Latest posts