Limosine

Help Support CattleToday:

skidboots

Reaction score
I'm new to this board and new to cattle. When I lived in Illinois, I liked a breed called "Shorthorn", these were dark red cattle, usually, and looked a lot like todays Angus breed, but with horns.
Down here in Texas I see all the breeds, about 4,000 head a week when I go to the sale barns, and the black cows always sell higher by the pound , yet those Limosine 400 to 550 calves, and even some of the cow/calf pairs looks so perfect. I mean not too much bone, and lots of meat "beef to the heels" so to speak. I wonder why they don't bring as much as the Angus, and why they don't get much mention on this forum. Is there something about them that they are not more widely used?

There are a lot of Limousins out there. About half of them are Black so you probably see more than you think you see. The knock on Limos is that they don't quality grade as well as other breeds. Some Limo families have also had fertility, attitude, and milking problems. Some Limos aren't as growthy in a crossbreeding regimen as other continental breeds like Charolais and Simmental. They are like any other breed. There are good ones and there are bad ones.

Brandonm2":ydbj23nt said:
There are a lot of Limousins out there. About half of them are Black so you probably see more than you think you see. The knock on Limos is that they don't quality grade as well as other breeds. Some Limo families have also had fertility, attitude, and milking problems. Some Limos aren't as growthy in a crossbreeding regimen as other continental breeds like Charolais and Simmental. They are like any other breed. There are good ones and there are bad ones.

Well said.

Well, I guess I asked the wrong question, as it might lead to breed bashing, and that is not what any of us want. An individual has his own preferred breed for his own reasons. I'll just ask my questions at the next sale. I do learn alot from reading the Q&Q forum though and appreciate the good comments here.

Oh, I guess someone did answer! Thanks for the information, I knew there must be some reasons. I do notice that some breeds are wilder than others, but the Limosine seems so similar to the angus is square shape and smaller bone, yet lots of meat. I thought maybe they don't cross well, and you have to keep them pure.

skidboots":16sixmx4 said:
but the Limosine seems so similar to the angus is square shape and smaller bone,

I must have missed that. Even our blacks don't look like angus.

skidboots":xybbco2d said:
Oh, I guess someone did answer! Thanks for the information, I knew there must be some reasons. I do notice that some breeds are wilder than others, but the Limosine seems so similar to the angus is square shape and smaller bone, yet lots of meat. I thought maybe they don't cross well, and you have to keep them pure.

When I referred to crossing problems I meant less heterosis effect than some other sire breeds. No you don't have too keep Limos pure; but limos aren't an obvious component when crossed. A black Limo crossed to a Herf is going to get mistaken for a Black Baldie about half of the time and even when it is obvious that there is no Angus in that calf telling the black Limo/Herf cross from a black Simm/Herf cross or a black Gelbvieh/Herf cros or a black Salers/Herf cross is difficult for even seasoned cattlemen. The reds have a little more breed character (in my opinion); but it can still be difficult too identify half bloods. Typically straight Limousin calves are meatier and yield more retail product than typical straight Angus.

Brandonm2":17ux66ju said:
When I referred to crossing problems I meant less heterosis effect than some other sire breeds. No you don't have too keep Limos pure; but limos aren't an obvious component when crossed. A black Limo crossed to a Herf is going to get mistaken for a Black Baldie about half of the time and even when it is obvious that there is no Angus in that calf telling the black Limo/Herf cross from a black Simm/Herf cross or a black Gelbvieh/Herf cros or a black Salers/Herf cross is difficult for even seasoned cattlemen. The reds have a little more breed character (in my opinion); but it can still be difficult too identify half bloods. Typically straight Limousin calves are meatier and yield more retail product than typical straight Angus.

Your waffling now. The heterosis statement is BS.

The reds having a bit more character statement.... Help me out .

Wasn't long ago you said they all looked the same.

Wewild":1hcwm72u said:
Your waffling now. The heterosis statement is BS..

I have heard that for 20 years, I don't know if it is true or not; but it is a knock on Limos. That you don't get as much heterosis growth typically from a Limo cross as you do a Simmental or Charolais cross was actually TAUGHT in Auburn when I was there.

Wewild":1hcwm72u said:
The reds having a bit more character statement.... Help me out .

Wasn't long ago you said they all looked the same.

I was referring too when crossed. NOBODY is going to confuse a red Limousin crossed with a Hereford for a straight Hereford or a Hereford crossed with a Red Angus. Almost everybody will spot that as a Limousin-Hereford cross. Black Limousin crossed with Herford CAN sometimes be confused with an Angus-Hereford cross or a black Simmental-Hereford cross or especially a black Gelbveih-Hereford cross. I don't think I am going out on a limb saying that half Herefords or half Charolais or half Brahmans or half Holsteins are going to be recognized at the stockyard more often than half Limousins particularly black Limousins. My original point being that you probably see more Limousin cross cattle at the stockyard than you think you are seeing.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience with this breed, but you are all WAY to advanced for me!
I just like them. To my eye, they look like they would deliver more of the choicest cuts of meat than some other breeds.
I like all cattle breeds. I have heard that some breeds have been knocked for being tough or stringer, or having a strong odor.
That comment about fertility, tempremant, is a consideration,( though I suppose certain strains of Limosine are more sucessful at these traits than others.) There was also a discussion about "marbeling" and "Rib Eye size", where someone said that all this crossbreeding resulted in guesswork about genetics and the resulting offspring qualities.....boy I can see where that is true.
However, the angus breed has been so successful at advertising, that at a recent sale barn, I saw cows started at .37 to .46 in all breeds, but if they just looked angus, they were started at .61
Wow, like Mr. Wrigly said, "If I had it to do over, I'd spend $.99 on advertiseing, and $.01 on the gum!" Well, I'm starting to ramble. Lets end this thread here, and thanks again to all.

Brandonm2":w2fqznbt said:
I have heard that for 20 years, I don't know if it is true or not; but it is a knock on Limos. That you don't get as much heterosis growth typically from a Limo cross as you do a Simmental or Charolais cross was actually TAUGHT in Auburn when I was there.

Show me a link. Why repeat it if you don't know or at least qualify it up front. Now your bashing my school for what you thought you heard.... or for 1 bad teacher's thoughts.

I can't find anything that supports this statement other than you. My 25+ years of experience say's it ain't so.

I learned alot from those comments. Thanks. I'm no expert but I have heard from more than one experienced person that Limis TEND to have more attitude problem than some other breeds like herfs and angus. Not trying to bash a breed here! Any comments from experienced Limi owners, or maybe someone whose handled them a bunch at a feedlot?

sebrondjr":1ng4wh42 said:
I learned alot from those comments. Thanks. I'm no expert but I have heard from more than one experienced person that Limis TEND to have more attitude problem than some other breeds like herfs and angus. Not trying to bash a breed here! Any comments from experienced Limi owners, or maybe someone whose handled them a bunch at a feedlot?

Do a search on here. Plenty of comments from both side.

It comes down to much like everyting in life .... you get out of it what you put in it.

Skidboots... I don't if yoou know it or not but Shorthorns were part of the base in the crosses the King Ranch used to develop the San Gertrudis breed.Z

Wewild":2cw03gkt said:
Brandonm2":2cw03gkt said:

Show me a link. Why repeat it if you don't know or at least qualify it up front. Now your bashing my school for what you thought you heard.... or for 1 bad teacher's thoughts.

I can't find anything that supports this statement other than you. My 25+ years of experience say's it ain't so.

I assure you that I heard it and from more than one person when in college. The claim was that you got a bigger heterosis jump from a Char, a Simm, or a Gelbvieh than from a Lim bull when used on british cows. I don't know whether it is true or not. Honestly, I have never taken the time to do the math to see if I got a heterosis gain or NOT. ALL I am saying is that that is a knock on Lims that I have heard.

Brandonm2":3qr7n930 said:
Honestly, I have never taken the time to do the math to see if I got a heterosis gain or NOT. ALL I am saying is that that is a knock on Lims that I have heard.

It sure is knock when people do as you have. Same goes for how wild they are.

Come see me. I'm just 2 hours away.

Wewild":1kv11fvo said:
Brandonm2":1kv11fvo said:
Honestly, I have never taken the time to do the math to see if I got a heterosis gain or NOT. ALL I am saying is that that is a knock on Lims that I have heard.

It sure is knock when people do as you have. Same goes for how wild they are.

Come see me. I'm just 2 hours away.

Unless one is a multi multi millionaire and bored enough to buy 20 average cows from every one of the cattle 60++ breeds we have in this country, we have to rely on other people's information to a certain extent for information on those breeds we do not own.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ive been raising Limousin Cattle for the past 16 years. Its all I do for a living now along with a commercial herd used as recips and covered with Limousin bulls. I have handled thousands of Limousin cattle. If Limousin were one tenth as bad as some say on here I would have been out of this business many years ago. Yes its true that we have a docility EPD because of cattle from several years ago that were older bloodlines that came here from France. We get bashed for having a docility EPD from time to time today. Personally I think its a tool that several other breeds could improve their cattle with. Im not saying they are all perfect. Im saying that you will have good and bad cattle in EVERY breed. Ive seen it first hand.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

lots of breeds are known for having crazies: Limousin, ANGUS, Gerts!, Brahmans, Charolais, Brafords, Brangus. i have even seen a beefmaster throw a hissy fit a time or two. its to be expected at some point if you stay in the business long enough.