• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Limosine breed

Help Support CattleToday:

OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
At the risk of being accused of "breed bashing". Limousin have a tendency to be a little nuts. However, the people that I deal with that have calm limousin tend to work them more like Brahmans. Slow, never get them excited, and worked very methodically. If you find cows that are easy to work, make sure the bull you use is the same way. Limousin is the only breed that has an EPD for docility, there has to be a reason.

dunmovin farms

> Can someone tell us the general
> disposition of limosine cows?
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
We have a herd of 400 limo's. We tend to find that they are very high strung. I don't think it is because of the breeding, because we get bulls all from all over. In the states, and in centeral Saskatchewan. We also have a few angus cows. When we go into the pen the limo's always have their heads high in the air and ready to run. This is just what I have noticed, but talking to other people they have found this also.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
Thanks for all the valuable info on limosine breed. Now we would like to know the temperment of Hereford Bulls. We already have Hereford Cows and would like to breed them. Thank you.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
> Thanks for all the valuable info
> on limosine breed. Now we would
> like to know the temperment of
> Hereford Bulls. We already have
> Hereford Cows and would like to
> breed them. Thank you. I have had several different Hereford bulls over the past 13 years and they are very quiet and easy going just as are the herford cows. I am sure there are probably some hereford bulls that are not sensible and easy going but these would be the exception I would think. Even my bull calves that I keep until after they are weaned are very gentle and quiet. I have dealt with bulls up to the age of 8 years old with no problem in their temperment.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
I agree whole heartedly with Sandy, Hereford bulls are generally calm and easy to handle. May I suggest, unloess you have registered Hereford cows, using either a Red Angus or black angus bull on them. It seems that in most areas Herefords are really discounted when it comes sale time. Black baldies always bring top dollar.

dunmovin farms

> Thanks for all the valuable info
> on limosine breed. Now we would
> like to know the temperment of
> Hereford Bulls. We already have
> Hereford Cows and would like to
> breed them. Thank you.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
> We have a herd of 400 limo's. We
> tend to find that they are very
> high strung. I don't think it is
> because of the breeding, because
> we get bulls all from all over. In
> the states, and in centeral
> Saskatchewan. We also have a few
> angus cows. When we go into the
> pen the limo's always have their
> heads high in the air and ready to
> run. This is just what I have
> noticed, but talking to other
> people they have found this also.

I have some Limi's they are general in good health, and eager, headstrong. They are adaptable to different many diffrent environments. They are good cattle.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
> At the risk of being accused of
> "breed bashing".
> Limousin have a tendency to be a
> little nuts. However, the people
> that I deal with that have calm
> limousin tend to work them more
> like Brahmans. Slow, never get
> them excited, and worked very
> methodically. If you find cows
> that are easy to work, make sure
> the bull you use is the same way.
> Limousin is the only breed that
> has an EPD for docility, there has
> to be a reason.

> dunmovin farms

We have Limis, if you are going to show them, work with them early. My sister show a little Nov. of 2000 this Spring and Summer and Fall, and she is just a doll, it really depends on the background of the cow herself. I have broken heifers over of about 13 months to about 16 months of age. They can be brats, but in general they were ok. Work with them early and they should be fine. Middle Creek Acres Limousin

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
> I agree whole heartedly with
> Sandy, Hereford bulls are
> generally calm and easy to handle.
> May I suggest, unloess you have
> registered Hereford cows, using
> either a Red Angus or black angus
> bull on them. It seems that in
> most areas Herefords are really
> discounted when it comes sale
> time. Black baldies always bring
> top dollar.

> dunmovin farms

I totally agree that unless the herefords are quality registered herefords that you are better off using a good black angus bull on them to produce the baldies. Even with a good registered hereford if you are only interested in producing feeder calves to sell then the black angus bull would be the way to go.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
I found that the general disposition of limo's is that they are wild and high strung. They are always the first ones with their heads in the air and ready to run. They do however raise good calves, and you get good money at market for them. But anyone that tells you that they are very docile and well tempered are lying to you.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
> Can someone tell us the general
> disposition of limosine cows? I will tell you right now, for being in the purebred Limousin business for 25yrs I do consider Limo's docile! We calf out over 600 purebred limo cows a year with great success. It all depends in the herd sire though (temperment wise!). Seriously we got 9 herd bulls, out of the 9 there are about 6 of them that pass on the "quiet" gene. There calves are quiet and calm, easy to handle. Yes people are likely laughing at me right now, but this is true. I think it is the same in every breed though. A lot of it is all in the gentle dispostion of the herd sire
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
As usual there are a lot of good responses to your question. One piece of the puzzle that has not been touched on very well is the manner in which the cattle are raised. Yes, genetics does play a part in how calm the animals will be but equally as important if not more important is how the animals are raised. If the animals were born on a huge range and there only contact with humans has been at branding and vaccinations they will associate humans with pain and will be flighty and "wild" to some extent no matter what breed they are. If, on the other hand, they have had frequent contact with humans both on foot and on horseback they will be much calmer. Just one more piece of the puzzle to keep in mind.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
There are good & bad dispo cattle of ALL breeds, but limousin's are pretty high strung across the breed. Yes, cattle that are managed quietly at home, are definately easier to handle AT HOME. But, sooner, or later, you have to ship them - breeders or steers, and they tend to go nuts when placed in a new environment. Limousin breeders know they have a problem with temperament so they have been trying to find the "quiet" gened bulls for reproduction. Goodluck, Jeanne

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
All breed have knot heads in them. The good breeders call these cattle out so the gene's will not be pass on.

pat
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
Well, You are a breed basher for all intents and purposes. And you are an Angus breeder out to promote your BREED

I have been raising Limousin Cattle for 15 years and seen herds all over the USA and in Canada out on the ranch and in commercial programs. I have found many other breed much more wild in Nature than the Limousin Breed.

Our breed has a docility EPD to try and improve a false impression of the breed strengthened by breeders who have sold Cattle that should have been CULLED as breeding animals, thus propagating more knot heads.

Many of my commercial bull buyers are older and run 45-60 head of commercial cross bred cows, and they want our bulls because they are calm and produce QUIET growthy heavily muscled calves, that out perform ANGUS sired calves.

Look at the source when you receive information, another Breed's breeder is not the source you want to get your info from.



Limousin Info
[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hate to tell you, but I have strictly commercial cows. have tried bulls of various breeds over the years. When we attended the Limousin sle in Lebanon, mo last year I was impressed by how many cattle the ring workers had to handle from outside the ring. You said it yourself, people sold too many cattle for too many years that should have been eaten. When the majority of the cattle are as calm as Red Angus, Hereford or even Gelbvieh influenced animals I may re-address Limousin.

dunmovin farms

> Well, You are a breed basher for
> all intents and purposes. And you
> are an Angus breeder out to
> promote your BREED

> I have been raising Limousin
> Cattle for 15 years and seen herds
> all over the USA and in Canada out
> on the ranch and in commercial
> programs. I have found many other
> breed much more wild in Nature
> than the Limousin Breed.

> Our breed has a docility EPD to
> try and improve a false impression
> of the breed strengthened by
> breeders who have sold Cattle that
> should have been CULLED as
> breeding animals, thus propagating
> more knot heads.

> Many of my commercial bull buyers
> are older and run 45-60 head of
> commercial cross bred cows, and
> they want our bulls because they
> are calm and produce QUIET growthy
> heavily muscled calves, that out
> perform ANGUS sired calves.

> Look at the source when you
> receive information, another
> Breed's breeder is not the source
> you want to get your info from.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
hhh

Hate to tell you, but I have
> strictly commercial cows. have
> tried bulls of various breeds over
> the years. When we attended the
> Limousin sle in Lebanon, mo last
> year I was impressed by how many
> cattle the ring workers had to
> handle from outside the ring. You
> said it yourself, people sold too
> many cattle for too many years
> that should have been eaten. When
> the majority of the cattle are as
> calm as Red Angus, Hereford or
> even Gelbvieh influenced animals I
> may re-address Limousin.

> dunmovin farms
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
i disagree, our bull has a bad temperament, but he's calves are quieter than most of the calves sired by our other bulls. i do not know if u are talking limousin bulls only, coz my bulls are not limousin
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
I had a herd of registerd Limousin cows........bad temperment.........no milk! Beautiful cos though. Now have a herd of registerd Herford cows and am using a "Davis Angus Farms" registerd Angus bull, WONDERFUL temperment bull.......beautiful BLACK BALDIE calves...........big premium at sale time for these calves!

> I totally agree that unless the
> herefords are quality registered
> herefords that you are better off
> using a good black angus bull on
> them to produce the baldies. Even
> with a good registered hereford if
> you are only interested in
> producing feeder calves to sell
> then the black angus bull would be
> the way to go.

[email protected]
 

Latest posts

Top