Lime

Help Support CattleToday:

I just got a price on lime at 300 a ton. I farm the owners land, I get out it what I put into it. I'm improving his land in exchange for forage I get from it.
I cannot afford to do everything perfectly so, I put it on at 1/2 ton an acre and do a soil test every 3 years.
If tomorrow he says no more, no big deal, technically I would have gotten more out it, then I put into it considering the cost of alfalfa

I would have gotten more

Guess I wasn't clear, I am the landlord in this case. I really appreciate everyone's input. I had not thought about lengthening the lease time but that is a good point. I know it's been a tough go in the cattle business the last couple of years and I want to help my renter if possible.

I just got a price on lime at 300 a ton. I farm the owners land, I get out it what I put into it. I'm improving his land in exchange for forage I get from it.
I cannot afford to do everything perfectly so, I put it on at 1/2 ton an acre and do a soil test every 3 years.
If tomorrow he says no more, no big deal, technically I would have gotten more out it, then I put into it considering the cost of alfalfa

I would have gotten more
Was that for ag lime or pelletized lime? I used pelletized lime last year and it did ok. 400 lbs/acre was supposed to be close to same as ag lime. Not quite as effective as ag lime , BUT you can get it any time of the year. Here, the fertilizer spreaders are too busy in the spring to apply it .

Get a soil test and see how much lime you need per acre. The pelletized lime can be applied at anytime. As you can see from the result demonstration done by area county Extension agents, pelletized lime is a viable alternative to ag lime. It may be $300 per ton, but you only apply 400 to 600 lbs per acre.

Thank you for the good info. Did a soil test last year and was at a 6, that was after 4 years of lime application of pelletized.

Get a soil test and see how much lime you need per acre. The pelletized lime can be applied at anytime. As you can see from the result demonstration done by area county Extension agents, pelletized lime is a viable alternative to ag lime. It may be $300 per ton, but you only apply 400 to 600 lbs per acre.

According to that study, the pelletized lime made a very minimal difference in the pH at the 400 lb/acre rate. Seems like it would take twice that to get close to the ag lime results. Of course not all ag lime is equal, but pelletized varies as well.

According to that study, the pelletized lime made a very minimal difference in the pH at the 400 lb/acre rate. Seems like it would take twice that to get close to the ag lime results. Of course not all ag lime is equal, but pelletized varies as well.
Had been putting it on at 1/2 ton per acre.

M.Magis, I visited with the county agent that did the study. He put in the report that they were going to look at adding a higher rate in the comparison study. The pelletized lime has a place because it is available year round where as the fertilizer dealers will only go get Georgetown lime (source of lime in this area) during the off-season.

The thing I like about pelletized dolomite lime is it is easier for me to apply with my broadcast spreder. Ag lime I had to rent a commercial spreader with a person inside to make sure it flowed correctly.
As a truck driver (my day job), no company is going to move anything for under 2 dollars a mile. So a truck would haul 22 to 24 ton, that's 22 to 24 totes from the source to the destination.

The thing I like about pelletized dolomite lime is it is easier for me to apply with my broadcast spreder. Ag lime I had to rent a commercial spreader with a person inside to make sure it flowed correctly.
As a truck driver (my day job), no company is going to move anything for under 2 dollars a mile. So a truck would haul 22 to 24 ton, that's 22 to 24 totes from the source to the destination.
Nobody here will talk to you for $2 a mile.

Latest posts