Life of Sperm and Egg?

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39":66u0ahtd said:
dun":66u0ahtd said:
Chuckie":66u0ahtd said:
I realize that the best way to A.I. a cow is to do it when the egg has dropped and the sperm is fresh, but I need an answer to this question .....When sperm is deposited into a cow, how long does it stay alive and mobile? If the egg from the cow comes (e.g.) 6-8 hours later after depositing the sperm, then is it possible for the sperm to still be able to fertilize the egg. Then if the egg drops into the uterus, how long is the egg going to stay there and accept the sperm? I have been asked this question, but I didn't know the answer.

Fertilization doesn;t take place in the uterus it takes place in the fallopian tubes. That's the reason semen should be depostited prior to ovulation. The sperm would have a tough time finding the egg in something as big as the uterus.

dun
============
dun,

Can't relate to the fallopian tube portion of your post. Please clarify. Bovines do not have fallopian tubes.

Thru/past the cervix there is a short uterine cavity then it splits into to uterine horns(right and left).

Pregnancy occurs in one or the other(single egg...pregnancy)of the uterine horns. Thus, the reason for depositing the sperm just past the cervix(1/2 to 1") into the uterine cavity during AI.

Then those little fellows make their way into each uterine horn and fertilize the egg that has been deposited in the right or left uterine horn during ovulation.

If semen is deposited to far into the uterine cavity it will be into one or the other uterine horns and may not ferterlize the ovulated egg...since the egg may have been deposited into the other uterine horn.

At the end of each uterine horn there is a small tube...forget what it is called....which connects the end of the each uterine horn to the ovary portion of the reproductive tract. If there should be a pregnancy in the small tube(possible?) it would be regarded as an ...eptopic...pregnancy....not good.

Preston, what subject do you teach at college? Where do you get your crazy ideas about the reproductive aspects of cattle, first we had cows don't bleed, now cows don't have fallopian tubes.

T012691A.jpg

Fallopian Tube of the Cow

The fallopian tube, present in all higher vertebrates such as the cow, provides a pathway or connection between the ovary and the uterus. After an egg has been released from the ovary, the egg is drawn into the fallopian tube by the action of tiny hairlike structures called cilia, which then transport the egg to the uterus, where it is fertilized and implanted and begins to develop.

NA NA NA, looks like preston has been proved wrong again.
Wonder what he'll come up with next.

Just give it up Preston, your making it worse for yourself.

I have a question for all of you wise and learned people. On days that I have to go to my job I am not available to AI my cows from 12:30 PM to 11:00 PM. I have noted that the vast majority of the cows that don't settle to AI are the ones that are found to be standing in the AM. They were typically not checked between 11 PM and 7 AM. I had resorted to AI'ing those cows at 12 PM and again 11 PM. This is way to costly and time consuming. Would it be a good idea if I check them at 3 AM and AI'd those at noon and the rest that came in between 3AM and 7AM were AI'd at 11 PM? Any suggestions appreciated.

Tod Dague":3arve680 said:
Just give it up Preston, your making it worse for yourself.

I have a question for all of you wise and learned people. On days that I have to go to my job I am not available to AI my cows from 12:30 PM to 11:00 PM. I have noted that the vast majority of the cows that don't settle to AI are the ones that are found to be standing in the AM. They were typically not checked between 11 PM and 7 AM. I had resorted to AI'ing those cows at 12 PM and again 11 PM. This is way to costly and time consuming. Would it be a good idea if I check them at 3 AM and AI'd those at noon and the rest that came in between 3AM and 7AM were AI'd at 11 PM? Any suggestions appreciated.
Call an AI tech to AI them when you are not available at the Right Time or do timed breeding.

unless the 2005 model is radically different, i believe that cows still have fallopian tubes. aka oviducts. i say 'maters you say tamottos.

Farminlund":2xbzdq1y said:
Sounds like I may have messed up on some of the details. He explained it much like I did; but I may have drawn an incorrect conclusion that the blind pouch attached to the cervix - sorry for that mistake. If you think about it, getting to the center of a large cervix to enter the hole would require a large amount of semen - but then again a bull puts out a large volume.

I doubt he was passing on incorrect information; I will attempt to get collaborating data & post again.

The cervix:
The cervix contains connective tissue and muscle which forms a firm tube like sphincter. The cervix is usually "closed", because the muscular sphincter contracts and closes the cervix. The cervix acts as a barrier to foreign substances except during fertilization and birth when the sphincter is relaxed or opened.

I had always thought the sperm went thru the cervix & when my trusted Select AI tech told me differently, what a revelation! I thought I had corrected many yrs of faulty knowledge - boy was I wrong. Sorry for posting incorrect information, should have checked it out with a second source. It was such a wow that I just had to pass it on - again, learn from your mistakes. Thanks for the kind & constructive corrections.

Waiting patiently here to hear Preston's latest pontification.

:roll:

Caustic Burno":lhd44lx5 said:
Salicylic":lhd44lx5 said:
Waiting patiently here to hear Preston's latest pontification.

:roll:

You should take up knitting, something to kill time you could be here a long time waiting on Presto.

heeheehee You two are bad! heeheehee

PS In the event I ever realize my dream, please remind me not to use Select Sire's. If the article posted here is any indication, I'm not sure they know their #$$ from their elbow! Thanks!

msscamp":1kloya8a said:
In the event I ever realize my dream, please remind me not to use Select Sire's. If the article posted here is any indication, I'm not sure they know their #$$ from their elbow! Thanks!

I didn't read all of the articles, but the one I read is accurate. The comments by the Select Sires rep about the cervix and the semen not passing through it may either be innaccurate or mis-understood.

dun

dun":2xegtmbq said:
msscamp":2xegtmbq said:
In the event I ever realize my dream, please remind me not to use Select Sire's. If the article posted here is any indication, I'm not sure they know their #$$ from their elbow! Thanks!

I didn't read all of the articles, but the one I read is accurate. The comments by the Select Sires rep about the cervix and the semen not passing through it may either be innaccurate or mis-understood.

dun

I knew I was going to get called down on this one, and you are right to do so. I was out of line - classic case of engaging mouth before brain. My apologies. Thanks for being gentle.

Latest posts