Life Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Chevy

Reaction score
What is the best advice you would give a younger generation? Looking back on life, things you may wish you did or things you did that was good.

I'm ashamed of my advice. I was too trusting and too caring. Bit me several times over the years. Real hard about 3 years ago. Really set me back late in life. Too late to ever really bounce back.

I'm ashamed of my advice. I was too trusting and too caring. Bit me several times over the years. Real hard about 3 years ago. Really set me back late in life. Too late to ever really bounce back.

Nothing to be ashamed of just one of life's lessons. Live and learn. 😊 Some live and forget to learn, as long as your learning I think your good.

I tell my grandkids, "it don't take long to get old". When you're young you think you have plenty of time on your side so you can abuse your body with smokes, grog and wrong types of food thinking you got plenty of time to give up the bad habits before it really matters but time marches on pretty fast and bad habits become difficult to shake.
Fortunately my grandkids look after themselves pretty good re smokes and grog, just my grandson is not a real flash eater.

Ken

Find a good spouse, work hard, stay out of trouble, treat others like you expect to be treated, live within your means, have good role models, prepare as much as possible, expect the worse and hope for the best, learn to do without, and remember there is a tomorrow. I agree with vbvs58 above, don't abuse your body with overeating, too much alcohol, illegal drugs, smoking, etc.

I would tell myself to skip the 3 Chevys I had and go strait to Ford! Every Chevy I owned was a money pit. Funny thing is my uncle gets a new off the lot Chevy every 2 years and only 3 of the last 20+years of trucks had not had to be retured for problems. Engine, transmission, electrical, broken parts, excessive rust in months, etc .... I thought he had bad luck. I had to drop the family bad habit and break ranks.

Another I would have changed.... don't get married before I joined the service. There will be plenty of time for that later.

Good advice above.

On the business side, buy all the ground you can get until you're 30, then be choosy about it. By the time you're my age (46) it will most be paid for, and it will never go away, at least for our time here on earth.

One of the things I would say is realize your own definition of success and happiness in life and go with that; don't worry about what other people consider success and what it takes to make them happy. People enjoy different things in life. Discover what truly makes you happy. It may not be a house as big as your neighbors.

I agree with you Kenny on the cash deal, but sometimes that just doesn't work. A new example I saw last week. The Corp of Engineers park charges $5 for a boat launch fee. They no longer man the gate during the week.
They have a self pay machine that only takes a credit card.

I agree with you Kenny on the cash deal, but sometimes that just doesn't work. A new example I saw last week. The Corp of Engineers park charges $5 for a boat launch fee. They no longer man the gate during the week.
They have a self pay machine that only takes a credit card.
That's true. It does seem like a credit card comes in handy these days; however, there is a difference in a $5 boat charge and someone going crazy with a credit card. I have a credit card myself, but I very rarely use it. I only use it when that is the only thing that is accepted, which isn't often. I never use it for casual spending while racking up a big bill that I make a payment on each month.

I use a Fidelity credit card that automatically deposits 2% of my charges into a Fidelity investment account. I buy most everything with the credit card. Recurring monthly bills (utilities, cell phones, etc) are on auto bill to the credit card and the credit card bill is on auto pay from my bank account. I use a Lowes credit card that gives me 5% off all purchases there and it is on auto pay from the bank account as well. I write very few checks and make a little on the 2%.

Latest posts