Lice

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Cows got Lice bad this year. Just ivomec poured everything but i have one calf that is 2 months old that's got it.

I never have poured a calf that young.

Any suggestions? Ivomec? Or one of the Lice treatment pour ons that are not a wormer?

You could also use a dog flea spray on the calf, keep away for mouth, nose and eyes. I would buy a better quaility brand, like Adams, and stay away from Hartz. If it is safe to use on puppies it will be safe on your calf.

Alan

jkwilson":2xw7ia5m said:
Ivomec is labelled for "cattle of all ages". If you don't pour the calves, you wasted the rest of it.

We Ivomec all of our calves at branding time. They are between a few days and 2 months old when we do them. So far we have never had a problem. We usually use injectible, but have also used pour on. It's supposed to be safe for all ages. No point in not doing the calves if they have lice since they will just pass it back to the cows.

Same problem years ago. Poured everything. Some calves were just a few weeks old.
We rotate between Ivomectin and Cydecton every six months.

This is about as bad as I have ever had lice here this year. The horse even has em, of course the horse has to ruff it like the cows, but h does have a shed to get under most times.....Lol....I better shut up the horse lover squad will be after me next

houstoncutter":1ow0oc0f said:
This is about as bad as I have ever had lice here this year. The horse even has em, of course the horse has to ruff it like the cows, but h does have a shed to get under most times.....Lol....I better shut up the horse lover squad will be after me next

If your paying enough attention to know the horse has lice, I would say you are doing better for the horse than a lot of people do.

Gotta look out for the horsey squad! :D

Alan

How can you tell the difference between lice and dry skin? My month old Angus x heifer looks like she has dry whiteish flakes on her head and back. She is also licking or sucking on her tail so much that the hair has all come off about 3 inches from the end. I thought that the dog was doing until I watched her for a couple of hours today. I don't notice the other calf doing it at all. They are still bottle babies so they are sucking each others ears alot.

Newbie,
You can look on her neck, shoulders, ears, and tail head for lice.
If you see a small little white looking thing moving it is lice. You can also take a piece of clear tape and place it on the skin in those areas and pull it off, fold it in half and take it to your local vet to look at under a microscope. They will be able to see the lice and what type it might be. Also small black specks on the skin is a sign of lice.
Since she is just a month old she might just be looking for some comfort by sucking on something and her tail is what she likes. She might also just have dry skin and that is all the flakes, just like some peoples scalps.

Aplus, I've used Ivomec on my bottle calves, and they were a lot younger than 2 months.

Latest posts