Letter from Dept of Interior/BLM regarding coal mining East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":2sscu831 said:
Bright Raven":2sscu831 said:
greybeard":2sscu831 said:
...within the BLM Resource Management Planning Area for the OKT (Okla & Tx) Joint EIS/BLM RMP and BIA IRMP[/i] and a questionnaire was included regarding whether I would approve or disapprove of 'mining by other than underground mining techniques (i.e.,surface coal mining.)

You are fortunate that the mineral rights offer you terms on how it is to be mined. Some of the mineral rights are written very broadly. Pretty much not giving the surface owner any say.
About the only rights the surface owner has in Texas is the right to damages. The mineral owners will do with them what they want.
As time goes forward and with the mineral owners being able to reserve the minerals then this will make a land mans job a nightmare. At sometime in the future there will be thousands of heirs owning the mineral interest. If the surface owner pays taxes then the mineral owner needs to pay taxes whether it is in production or not.

here the mineral owners are the miners...so that points kinda moot..they own huge huge expanses of minerals under entire counties almost

hurleyjd":13nd42oa said:
TexasBred":13nd42oa said:
Bright Raven":13nd42oa said:
You are fortunate that the mineral rights offer you terms on how it is to be mined. Some of the mineral rights are written very broadly. Pretty much not giving the surface owner any say.
About the only rights the surface owner has in Texas is the right to damages. The mineral owners will do with them what they want.
As time goes forward and with the mineral owners being able to reserve the minerals then this will make a land mans job a nightmare. At sometime in the future there will be thousands of heirs owning the mineral interest. If the surface owner pays taxes then the mineral owner needs to pay taxes whether it is in production or not.
hurley it's already a nightmare. Landmen spent countless hours in courthouse and title company offices following the chain of title to see exactly who owns minerals and how much they own. Mineral owner pays taxes IF and when it goes into production.

Latest posts