Lessons Learned

Help Support CattleToday:

redlevel

Reaction score
Actually, they were old lessons I had learned long ago.
I knew better.
I usually plant some straight ryegrass acreage, about ten acres, and about that much in rye or wheat. I did that this year. My brother called me and said he had found a great deal on rye seed. It was last year's seed, but germination was supposed to still be good.
You guessed it. Even though I increased my seeding rate to 150 lbs per acre, I still wound up with about 30% of a stand in the pure rye plantings.
Lesson number one: bargain seed just ain't worth the risk. I lucked out, because on a whim, I mixed 50 lbs of ryegrass with the rye on the last three acres.

Lesson number two. Even with good seed, to get a good stand, you have to use enough seed. I generally try to get about 25 lbs of ryegrass seed per acre down in pure ryegrass plantings. I mix the seed in a cone type spreader with the fertilizer. I have had great results in the past, and for the most part, I did this year. However, I have more areas with a skimpy stand this year. I know this, because I tried to stretch the mix out in a few places. Again, I knew better. Next year, I plan to shoot for 50lbs of ryegrass per acre. Hard to get too thick a stand for grazing.

It ain't like I've never done this before. I'll be 71 next week, and have farmed my whole life. I guess as they say, live and learn, then die and forget it all.

I know the pitfalls of "penny wise - dollar foolish" but I'll try to save a buck every time. A lesson I can't seem to ever learn.

Since we are confessing: "Bless me father for I have sinned......" at 78 I too have a problem remembering. But it's not all age. For annual chores, by the time I complete the chore, I remember how to do it right...from previous year's work.

I tried writing it down for next year's reference but next year things are different for one reason or another and the tutorial is useless.

My calendar is my bible!!! I get new year's calendar and go through it copying notes from year to year - adjusting as things are changed. Refer to it often to make sure yearly routine workups/projects get done.

Latest posts